Help with Fret Fingering

Hi I am currently having difficulty playing the third measure of the attach music. I am not sure if I am doing the fret fingering the most efficient way.

I would do index finger sliding from 1 to 6 on E and use the same index to hold 6 on A, then hold down A, D, G with my ring finger on all 3 strings to do the 13 while using middle to do 12 on G then back to ring on 13. My difficulty comes from getting to the 12 and back to 13 with the last couple notes.

Is there a better technique to tackle this part?

Is this the place to ask this type of question?

3 Likes

It’s the right place to ask the question. Are you saying you bar the 13th fret before and after the 12th fret note?

1 Like

I just tried it on my bass and to me, the easiest fingering is index from E1 to E6, then middle on A6 to A13, then bar the middle to G13, index for G12, middle for D13 and ring for A13. That may not be the most efficient or “correct” way but it’s how my fingers wanted to play it. What’s the tempo?

2 Likes

For me it’s slide on index from E1 to E6, middle on A6 to A13, ring G13, index G12, ring D13, middle A13

+5 to this fingering. Keeps it clean, and picks up the string skipping nicely.
Avoid the barre unless you need it for a specific technique.

2 Likes

The tempo is suppose to be 145 but I’ve been practicing around 120. Yeah part of the reason why I am trying to do the bar is because of the speed. I can’t really do it fast enough. I will give this a try.

I’m going to say index slide E1 to E6, then middle on A6, switch to index on A6 for the slide up to A13, then middle finger on G13, index for G12, middle for D13 and index for A13. Pluck the G13 with your middle finger, G12 with your index then rake the D13 and A13 with your index. You could use your ring finger in there but to me, getting one more finger in there just jams things up unnecessarily and alternating between index and middle while crossing strings works best.

I’ve tried this and I really like it. It feels pretty natural to me unlike the bar I was doing. Thanks :laughing:

2 Likes