High Fret Frustration

Mostly I didn’t liked it, although it gets handy (I’d say mandatory) on the highest frets (in my case - 15-20), it hinders my movement on lower frets.

In my case, I see benefits to train finger pressing without a lever but it’s only really usable in a practice setting (exercises, scales).

3 Likes

Does anyone have a good close up video showing someone playing on the highest frets? (Above the 22nd fret.) I’ve started practicing in that range, and finding it a bit challenging…

This is the way!

1 Like

About 25 seconds in :slight_smile:

Not the typical style, but he’s built a career on it…

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. :slight_smile: Wanted to see how other people reach those frets in the real world. Happy to see that he made it look even more awkward than I do, and that he wasn’t able to use his pinky either. (But in his defense he made it more difficult for himself with the bass hanging so low.)

1 Like

This is the highest I have gone on the fretboard (as high as it can go) in a repeating melody. Also do not use my pinky. In some cases I don’t use my ring finger either.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lhm2yk5WE2QgqCuj6igKoDJUBmOlPqnY/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

I had the exact same issue when I first starting learning. The best thing to correct that issue and I know it won’t seem like it is NOW is to get the thumb behind the neck totally. It should be behind the index finger when down on the frets closest the body of the bass.
One big thing that makes this work is to roll your wrist as you reach for the E & A string in kind of an arch as you reach for notes on those strings with your thumb moving down towards the g string as you arch around the neck. Also a good thing to learn is which fingers do I use to hit the notes with. The one finger per fret thing is good most of the time but you will find as you begin getting better each song you play unless the finger analysis has been done will require you to think thru it and figure out what finger pattern works best so you can move from one note to the other. That don’t really come into play with what you are trying to accomplish now but in a way it does. Think…can i just use my middle finger to reach notes on the E string when in this position. As an example I never can reach the C note on the E string EVER with my little finger due to the neck connection at the body getting in the way. I mean the last fret on the E string Fret 20. I can easily get the C note at fret 8. I always use my middle finger if I need to grab the C at the 20th fret of the E String. I will never chose to play that note there ever but when practicing exercises so I can be as capable as I can be I will always grab that note with my middle finger. This kind of thing just comes with practice and you will develop it as you go. If you need help send me a note at regular email and I will be glad to help.

I go farther and sort of end up with my thumb resting along the bottom edge of the bass. Seems most comfy.

Here are a few pics of where the thumb should be and the reach of the fingers

in the upper registers.

1 Like

If that works for you, cool. But that’s not even close to what I would do. Much more comfortable for me to move my elbow and rotate my thumb to the bottom of the neck, as described here:

For me, this keeps my wrist almost perfectly straight, comfortable, and is an easy reach, even with medium-small hands. I cannot reach them at all with the method you recommended :slight_smile:

Note that I also get a nice arch on my fingers that way. There’s no need for the thumb on the back of the neck in the upper registers as the bass is already easily stabilized. What matters up here (to me anyway) is ergonomics.

Weirdly, it’s all in the elbow. For me anyway.

For me, thumb can float or be near bottom of neck, and I just abandon my pinky or even ring finger for fretting as necessary. The frets are so much smaller fretting with just the two fingers is typically adequate.

For me the biggest game changer with high frets was the purchase of a shorter strap. Instantly made everything up there 10x more comfortable.

I actually have that video and used it when I first started playing. I found I couldn’t get good touch on the strings that way. May have been because I was just learning. I do use the thumb on the lower part of the neck in a lot of playing. Like you I am thinking most bassists will find what works best for them. Like I said in an earlier post I will never play notes on the E string in that position. I find there is no need to as I shift effortlessly when moving from note to note. Thanks for your feedback!!

1 Like

Might be your action? Shouldn’t have to use much (if any) thumb pressure to fret properly :slight_smile:

Howard…I agree on the amount of pressure required. My action is low but when you are reaching in a difficult position its not just the amount of pressure that comes into play…there is the stress on the fingers\wrist\etc. just to reach those positions on the fret board. Just some added thoughts…after I posted the other day I picked up one of my basses and tried to play on the higher registers in the same manner seen in the pics. then I remembered why I changed to the way I play now. Not sure if any of remember in formal lessons how they detailed keeping the wrist in a straight position while playing. We all obviously take from that and develop what works best for our body and strengths. When I first began learning I didn’t have the skill nor the understanding on how to reach the highest notes so I used what was seen in the video as a first approach. This left my wrist turned in a very awkward position. I always wanted to have my thumb aimed at the neck and lower on the back with my wrist wrapped around (curled over) the neck in order to reach the last few notes on the neck. By placing the thumb lower on the back of the neck and curling over the fretboard it didn’t take long before my wrist started complaining. By tucking the thumb right into the joint where the neck meets the body of the bass the wrist stays in a straight position and it took practice before my brain quit wanting me to use the other method to get at the last notes. Some basses the area were the neck joins the body is removed, that big corner is rounded over and allows the hand to reach a lot easier. Each bass I do a complete refinishing on I remove material at that corner prior to sealing the body and top coating.

1 Like