Hiring a Bass Coach

Thanks for the offer, but I think I’ll just create a special folder on one of my web sites dedicated to my bass practice stuff.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

@Vik would you mind private messaging me exactly how you worded your ad? I may give that a try and would like to try your magic words.

Thanks

Pam

2 Likes

I’m sure @terb will correct it for you. :wink:

I’d be interested too, perhaps you could share some non-private/personal extracts from it for the rest of us.

3 Likes

I talked to a long time friend today, who plays guitar, fiddle, and flute, but none with a great deal of proficiency. After discussing my dilemma over lunch, we decided that we should “practice” together and see what happens. We’re getting together at my house next Wednesday, and he’s going to bring his guitar and amp. We have low expectations about how well we will play together, which is fine with me because neither of us will be disappointed. The main goal is to get me comfortable playing with another person. I’ve known him for at least ten years as a fellow rider from the American Legion Riders, and we have become very close friends. I trust him to offer only constructive criticism where it’s warranted. He admits to knowing nothing about playing bass, but nonetheless he can be very helpful for me. This will be a fun, low pressure session.
At least it’s a start.

10 Likes

That is a huge step, just setting a time and a date, prepping a little, then just diving in! Stoked for you, this is where it all begins :slight_smile:

Here is my Craigslist ad, btw, just took out personal info, feel free to use as a template, and modify! :

Newer Bass Player Looking for Drummer/Guitarist/Vocals for Jams, Band (My area, My City)

Hi All!,

I’ve been into music my whole life, but took up playing bass about 6 months ago. I’m pretty dedicated, and have the time, so been taking lots of lessons, and practice, practice!

Looking for drummers, guitarists, and/or vocalists at ANY level to hang with. Let’s get better together! I am fine with jam sessions, collaborating, learning songs, playing covers, creating music, whatever the vibe.

I’m 42, but tend to get along well with anyone from their 20s to their 60s. I’m into music of many different genres, and pretty open-minded, so, hit me up, let’s see if this can work. I live in (my neighborhood), it’s a nice area for live music, but want to be part of the mix now, not just a spectator.

Someone told me this is like dating, so, you just have to see who’s out there and try! Willing to invest real time into this if I can find a band to be a part of, we’ve got chemistry, and the willingness to take it further than just playing for fun. But cool to just play for kicks and for knowledge as well.

Tell me about you! What are you into/ what do you want to do with music? What types of musicians are you looking for?

Thanks for reading, best wishes, text or call me, Vik, at (my #), or by email.

(I then posted that pic of myself, same one I use here for my profile pic. Just that one, it’s all I have. Funny thing is, I took that selfie the very first week I got my first bass, Lipstick, that red Schecter. I had no idea what I was doing, and I took the pic just so I’d have something to put on my Bassbuzz profile :rofl: But it’s come in handy!)

5 Likes

This is SO damn cool @PamPurrs!! So happy, so PROUD of you!!

Lanny

4 Likes

@PamPurrs That’s great! I think we are all looking forward to hearing how it goes.

1 Like

That is a great way to get started! Good luck, @PamPurrs!

2 Likes

Hey Pam we’re did you find the scales course chord tone course and sight reading course?
Thanks
Dre”

4 Likes

Takingbass.net

3 Likes

Here we are, jammin together. It was very beneficial. We plan to do it again.

12 Likes

Hell yeah! Way to go Pam!
Can you tell us more?
How did your music theory knowledge play into the experience?
What did y’all work on?
I’m sure it’ll take some time for it all to settle in but I look forward to hearing what you thought of the whole experience. Making music with someone is one hell of an experience.

4 Likes

We spent the first quarter hour with me just demonstrating where I am with my bass playing skill. Then we spend a half hour or so talking about chords and chord construction. Then we spent about an hour just noodling around. He would strum a chord for 10 or 12 bars, and I would play a triad or 7 chord arpeggio to go with it, then he would tell me that he was changing to a different chord, I would change my arpeggio to go with it. We didn’t really play any songs, it was just a matter of me getting used to playing with a live person instead of a backing track. I really had fun. The fact that he’s a friend made it easier because I know he would be patient with me when I made mistakes (and I made a lot of them).

7 Likes

Oh man, that brings back memories. My brother plays drums and a long time ago we would take turns playing the same thing over on over again to give each other a chance to experiment and see what came out of it. It sounds like you had a pretty great first experience. :+1:

3 Likes

Remember, Bass players don’t make mistakes - guitar players do!!:smirk::smirk:. This was the same excuse I always used when I was a guitar player…:joy::joy:

4 Likes

Awesome!!!

2 Likes

Nice pict!!! Looks like you BOTH were having fun! And that is the name of the game!

Im fortunate that I have a good friend that is both a talented bass player and guitar player. Makes me totally comfortable to play with him, and he gives me great tips. Even with me being a beginner. We have jammed twice together now and I just FEEL my confidence grow each time we get together. He even commented on our last session that if I keep going…I should consider going on stage in about a year if I continue learning as quickly as I am (which I am mortified to do). I think he is thinking of starting a band (he was in one for years and has commented how much he misses it)… trying to sucker me in…lol

3 Likes

It’s been 6 months since I posed this question, and since then much has changed in my bass playing life. I’ve graduated from B2B, and have been given the title of Bad Ass Bass Gal by @JoshFossgreen. I’ve finished quite a few other courses on other venues, and am in the midst of even more. However, after a year on this journey, I still don’t feel that I’ve reached my goal of total bass badassery. All the online lessons and all the hours of practice have been great, but I still feel that I need a coach; a real life one.
I’ve considered one-on-one live online lessons such as the ones that @T_dub is taking with Josh, but somehow that doesn’t feel like it will fit the bill. I need to be side by side with a human coach/teacher in the same room.
Today, I hired what I feel confident to be that very person. He plays guitar, banjo, and bass in a few local bands, and teaches the same. He was recommended and spoke of very highly by a friend of mine, who plays in one of my favorite local bands, and works in the same music store as him.
I signed up initially for 6 x 1/2 hour sessions, starting next Wednesday 6/24/20. I’ll see how it goes, and decide if I wish to continue beyond those first 6 sessions. I hope this pushes me into the stratosphere of Badassery!

7 Likes

Good luck, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile: Let us know how it goes!

All best, Joe

4 Likes