How and Why do you choose songs to learn

that’s funny @PamPurrs and @Jazzbass19 , I myself am not really into a particular era. the music of my youth is mostly from the 90’s and 2000’s but I can’t say I prefer this era over another one. I like music from the very early ages of blues to the last week’s releases :grin: the most recent song I’ve covered has been released in december 2020.

funny how we all can have a different personnal relashionship with music.

6 Likes

I choose songs based on various principles. First my goal is to diversify so some of the songs I cover are purely songs I like. Others are songs I hear through my family and they say can you play such and such. Then there are the songs that I don’t listen to but hear a bass line and think I have got to see if I can play this. I really want to be well rounded in my playing style and employable so to speak. My end goal is to write jazz fusion songs

5 Likes

Currently its a mix of songs learnt in the lessons and the stuff I played air bass too as a teenager (and as a grown up when the misses is out) Now i’m doing the same thing but with an actual bass

5 Likes

I think that it is all down to subjective memories. i love the lion sleeps tonight(tight fit) but hate sailing!,(Rod Stewart) so my current challenge is David Bowies lets dance, just go with whats in your heart.

2 Likes

Only reason to cover any song, otherwise I can’t sing with power when I don’t feel the emotional attachment to a song. Which has become my standard, hence why I still have’t posted any covers. I’m not yet up that level.

2 Likes

When I chose to learn a song and look up the tab for it, I basically chose whatever song I find interesting at the time. Lately I’ve been looking into Oasis bass tabs. Nothing special but I love playing along to their records. I play a lot of punk rock, so simple basslines and simple guitar chords are too common for me.

But when I try to seriously cover a song, I always try to expand on what the original band made. For example with “Basket Case” by Green Day, I have the bass sticking to the root and third of the chords (a sort of back and forth motion; Mike Dirnt sticks to the roots and plays fills in between chord changes), while the guitar is instead played on an acoustic guitar using open chords. I also cover it as a duet. So basically I turn Basket Case into a folksy country song, but we still scream they lyrics as if we were being mauled by bears.

The challenge of a difficult bassline is really just trying to understand how it fits in the mix. I’m still a noobie bassist, so when I see a weird note in the tab I’m thinking, “Wait hold up, why is he playing that and when should I play it?” Then I end up having to listen to the recording and learning by ear, which is good practice ngl. The challenge of bass for me is trying to visualize a groove in my head, because I’m originally a guitarist so I naturally don’t have much groove :frowning:, and this becomes apparent when I read tab. Thankfully, Josh has taught me how to read rhythm via sheet music and that is wayyy more helpful.

6 Likes

I choose songs mostly from my youth, I liked it when I was in my teens 40 yrs later I still like them. If I am trying to learn or practice a technique I may pick a song to work on that makes working the technique more fun and I have a benchmark. Learning slap I choose to learn Higher Ground, leaning into funk I am working on What Is Hip and my plucking speed and endurance keeping a steady beat is getting a work out. But mainly I think you have to like the songs, unless you’re in a band environment who bothers to learn songs they don’t like.

2 Likes