How do you get this tone...almost a bit ‘electronic’

In this song, the bass tone changes during this part, struggling to match it.
Any ideas?
To me it sounds just a bit ‘electronic’, almost like Mark from Talking Bass’ sound during his courses.

https://youtu.be/wh15LOppcWQ?t=293

3 Likes

This sounds to me like a Stingray with some tone rolled off played very close to the bridge.

4 Likes

This was during his Rickenbacker days, wondering if that has something to do with it.

2 Likes

Who knows what he used in the studio. I think Ricks sound a bit grittier than this. As soon as I heard this it reminded me of Bernard Edwards and his Chic stuff.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget this is Paul we’re talking about. This is the guy who would quite often during recording of The White Album go into the studio by himself and record all the parts of songs.

It would be the most Macca thing to do to record this song with two different basses.

2 Likes

I’m good with that.
Macca good.

They do sound like 2 different basses on the track, or at the very least different tone settings etc.
I was happy with my tone on my jazz bass until I hit this part. I hadn’t cared about tone when I learned the song the first time, now want to record it.

3 Likes

Just sounded compressed to me.

Maybe with an EQ or high pass filter trimming off the low end a bit. Something easy to do in mixing/mastering. But in general that was sounding compressed and EQed for the mids.

3 Likes

Great song :+1::sunglasses:
Always loved wings stuff, “Ram” , “red rose speedway” band on the run😎
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Yeah, it didn’t really sound like he changed anything, only playing higher notes during that section. Maybe he eq’d the master, but otherwise it just sounded like compressed slightly overdriven signal.

2 Likes