How much does a "great" bass cost?

I love playing my inexpensive basses. What am I missing from a more expensive bass that will help me become a better player or make my bass playing more enjoyable?

5 Likes

@HowLowCanYouGet only one way to find out!

4 Likes

I’m thinking about building my own bass so I don’t have to pay anyone any labor or service. I get exactly what I paid for. All I need is this affordable cnc machine some CAD/CAM software and raw materials as well as components. How hard can that be?

3 Likes

Mastercam is (or was at one point) the most pirated software in the world. Now I would never suggest doing something illegal, but its not hard to get ahold of. At least everything before Mastercam X, but it is every bit capable of doing what you want, and may even be easier to use unless you learn all the bells and whistles, that you won’t need. The problem may be finding a computer with DOS.
Just saying :wink:

2 Likes

In my case that’s close. I built mine with a MIM Fender neck with a Warmoth body, so for all intents and purposes it sorta a half Mexican, half American Fender bass. The rest of it is Hipshot tuners & keys, CTS pots, SwitchCraft jack, and Seymour Duncan pickups.

The nice thing about the P-bass platform is that you can mix and match for whatever you like. Kinda reminded me of making models as a kid…

2 Likes

For me, I have to admit a more expensive bass would be more enjoyable, but not because it’ll make me a better player, rather I just like the snazzy status of a Sanderberg or a Lakland. The idea of real craftsmanship of high quality or handmade bass, the touch of the fine wood in my hands… I just like it.

I’ve got friends who are musicians, one of them is professional (in that he makes his living as a performer), and I have come to understand it’s the player. I saw him make a junk instrument, and I mean in bad repair, sound really good. @JoshFossgreen doesn’t appear to be limited in any way by that Squier he uses on the channel. I think he commented once he needed s 24 fret bass once for a Bach piece he was playing. The entry level bass reviews he and @Gio did showed what an entry level bass can do in the hands of a professional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODJ4Vig12mo

There’s nothing at all wrong with my old Squier, it’s just that—it’s a Squier! But, I know if that Squier were in the hands somebody really good, it would be just fine.

4 Likes

I think there’s a price and quality floor that you need to exceed. But it’s in the $300-500 range, no higher.

Many, many midrange instruments are just as good (from a playability quality and tonal standpoint) as instruments two to four times their price. Some are as good as any instrument you can buy in that regard - things like the BB734A (at $750) come to mind.

1 Like

You don’t have to admit anything. There’s nothing wrong with you.

Do you need an expensive bass to play well? No you don’t.

Do you have to play an inexpensive bass if you can afford a nice bass regardless of your skill level? Seriously?

You are going to let someone put a guilt trip on your decision and how you spend your money?

I’ll have a problem if someone is spending my money. Captain Obvious just want to make sure you heard the “you don’t need expensive bass” seriously do you even need 4 strings?

Play whatever you want just don’t tell me what I have to play.

3 Likes

This is really what it comes down to. People should just buy and play what they want. Love intermediate range basses? Me too, play the crap out of them and enjoy. Want that F Bass instead, and can afford it? Go for it! Looks awesome!

But ffs don’t kink-shame someone for their bass choices. Head over to TalkBass for that :rofl:

Like, I like to give Fender a ribbing for their pricing, but they are still high quality instruments and the most popular guitars and basses in the world. I am for sure not going to look down on the purchase of one. Whoever bought it ended up with likely a great instrument. Not for me at the price, but if someone wants a Fender, then they should absolutely buy a Fender and not look back.

4 Likes

Well spoken, @howard . . . :+1:

I know you and I go back and forth over Fender basses! . . . :yum:

('cause deep down inside we all know which one is best :wink: )

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

Nah I’m kidding ofc. I have 3 premium Fenders which I absolutely love and won’t sell. No regrets, but I do agree they could be sold a bit cheaper. :laughing:

4 Likes

I do like Fender/Squier, a lot, but I LOVE Fender Japan head and shoulders above the US/MIM offerings. It’s almost like they are a different company (less the headstock and crummy bridges).

3 Likes

Under $30….

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny (Griff)

5 Likes

I bought a donated/used Peavey Millenium BXP from the Goodwill auction site for under $100. Sure, I had to rewire and replace a few items, but it is a great bass, and I think my total investment is $150. My average new item is in the $499-799 range, but that’s more for visuals (is it pretty?). So I guess my response is that you can get a great bass in almost any price range :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll be honest, the whole “relic” fad that kicked off first with actual old instruments and culminating with Fender (and probably others) now selling premium, highly-priced Custom Shop instruments pre-beat to hell on the finish is something I don’t quite understand (well, I sorta do. It sure looks like it’s seen some sh*t) but I won’t tell someone else how to spend their money. I just hope it brings them joy even if I think it’s a little silly myself.

Want a relic look? Let’s hook a modestly-priced instrument up to the back of my car and drag it at high speed :rofl:

2 Likes

I view the relic fad as similar to copying someone else’s tattoos: I think you should earn it, not steal it.

1 Like

I’m perfectly capable of thinking it’s dumb as hell to beat the crap out of a fine new instrument, while simultaneously respecting anyone’s desire to own an instrument that looks like it just got shat out of a clothes dryer full of rocks :rofl:

Not my thing, but if that’s what you want, go for it!

Some people like the roadworn look. I get that.

I do reserve the right to make fun of bad DIY relicing jobs though.

5 Likes

Fender also only makes certain instruments which are reliced. If you want a Fender Flea bass, their only Jazz bass with vol/tone vol/tone, it’s going to be road worn for example. Squire has this etup on a couple basses, but not with the Fender label.

I wouldn’t buy a bass because of it, but I wouldn’t turn down a bass becasue of it. Besides, the Flea bass is Shell Pink to boot.

To each their own.

1 Like

Inexpensive equipment usually not for beginners they are for experience and/or tinkerers.

Like it or not cheap bass is less user friendly than the more expensive ones. The really expensive ones are idiot-proof when it comes to usability and playability.

Bargain basses require the users to make adjustments and/or correction to get started. Is it a big deal? No. As long as you know you can take care of all of the annoying little fixes like setups, fret dress, intonation sometimes wiring.

1 Like

Ironically my bass which required the most work was $700 :rofl:

I got it for $425 or so though, floor model.

(a new Rockbass Streamer LX5 had wiring issues).

1 Like