How practical is reading sheet music?

To be perfectly clear: You absolutely do not need to be able to sight read sheet music notation to play an instrument. Especially guitar and bass, where viable (and for guitar, arguably better) alternatives exist.

It is really really critical to be able to read (not sight-read, just read and understand) music for many instruments, and it’s helpful for all of them. This I would absolutely recommend picking up as your time allows. But for bass and guitar you can get away here without it as well, unless you plan to be working with others that require it. Which may happen or may not, depends on your goals.

I’ve been able to read sheet music notation for over 40 years. I have used it on bass exactly twice, and one of those times it turned out the sheet music was incorrect anyway :rofl:

I prefer sheet music over tabs, but the fact of the matter is, tabs vastly outnumber sheet music in terms of resources out there.

Contrast that with keyboards, where sheet music is ubiquitous. It’s pretty necessary to understand there IMO. Not so for bass/guitar, where it’s a nice to have thing but not a requirement, not by a long shot.

1 Like

My dad learned Spanish and went to medical school in Mexico :slightly_smiling_face:

So did my buddy. I asked him what the teaching ratio was like. He said there was a Mexican instructor for every Mexican student in class. Amazing.

It was Juan on Juan.

4 Likes

I groaned audibly at that one, well played sir

2 Likes

3abccb409aa98941849f05c1b6991446

1 Like

www.sheetmusicdirect.com is also great. Pretty much the scores come from official music books like Hal Leonard

1 Like

I find it very useful to notate specific rhythm. The ability to communicate with other players agreeing on what and where should be someone playing (or resting) is very useful. Then of course (due to my lack of skill) actually being precise in what was notated is another matter (I like to call it “interpretation” :smiley: )

2 Likes

Yes, this is critical. I am glad good tabs have it too, but sheet music is the standard notation for this.

2 Likes

Thanks for your time to reply! Haven’t figured out why yet, I am teaching my self to read. At 66. , my future as a professional bass player is pretty slim! But I just want to know & understand what & why I play what I play! Also understand timing and Rythm or the notes I’m playing!
Maybe it’s the challenge that goes along with it!
Thanks for your encouragement, I know I’m the Odd Ball!!!

2 Likes

You are not alone. Reading music is a great skill to learn. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

One of the main goals of the Bass and Drums.

If a lead guitar screws up a solo it soon passes but if a Bassist or drummer screws up it can ruin the whole song because they are driving the beat/timing/rhythm of the song.

I will probably never go on tour, but I do find learning to read music rewarding. Like learning to speak another language so I can communicate with the locals.

2 Likes

This. At our age (60s) I think just the exercise of learning things like this keeps our brains effective.

1 Like

I really honestly think everyone should learn to read music. It’s a skill you can pick up in a few days, really.

You don’t need to sight read at full speed to get a lot out being able to read music. Especially if you are ever interested in non-stringed instruments.

1 Like

Shit dude, most of us here are older…never hurts to learn new stuff.

1 Like

It just helps giving me an ideal of what needing to be played! Then after I’ve got that then I usually don’t sit and just go by the sheet!
I’m still figuring everything out!!!
I know most of you guys are way ahead of me!!

1 Like

Even for instruments I have sight read for, I never just played the song directly from reading in live performances. Once you learn the song, the notation becomes kind of like a roadmap, guiding you to upcoming transitions. It’s not a substitute for learning the song, or not a good one anyway.

Even if you cannot read at full speed, it’s still an extremely valuable tool that will take you a long way.

2 Likes

It’s about the same as “how practical is speaking French?” :slight_smile:

Well if you don’t live in a French speaking part of the world then not really practical.

Non?

1 Like

Don’t forget, you could also lord it over people, which actually makes it a good online parallel to sight reading too.