How to keep better track of gutiar rythm when jamming

Ah the good ole’ Nashville Numbering System :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

The neat thing is that knowing the NNS allows you to move to any key quite easily.
I recently was at jam that I had transcribed a song for in the Key of G, because of my vocal range, and the main singer requested it to be played in the Key of C. Easy peasy with the Nashville system. Most in the group did not know how to transpose on the fly with the NNS so we played it in G for most people and I accompanied her in C by myself. All were happy.

Good thing is that led to free beers for me afterwards explaining the NNS and just for fun I threw in using a capo which is a whole other subject. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am just visiting town but one of the songs that was messing me up was patience by guns n roses. I think I went in thinking it was a casual thing but I actually ended up being in a rehearsal haha

lol ya really understanding those stereotypes now

1 Like

one song that messed me up was patience by guns and roses

the one song I knew I got but I just wasnt used to following guitarists instead of following the drums. I think the group was a little more serious than i thought and the two older main guys did not seem to be the biggest fan of beginners. I am just visiting town tho and this wasnt even with my own bass (it was with one without a thumb pick up rest *gasp) so I will be looking for other ppl when im back home

1 Like

That’s good. If this was a one & done, then you can just leave it in the rear view mirror, learn from the experience, and look forward to a better time in the future.

BTW, if you’re wondering why a recent B2B graduate is throwing around jam advice: I played drums for about 15 years in a garage band that started off as jam sessions with friends who all had about a month’s experience on our instruments. Later we would often jam with other friends & relatives. In my new bass experience, I actually started jamming with two long-time friends months before I started the B2B course. On a borrowed bass. Playing root notes. I’ve found that starting out with small groups of friendly people with reasonably similar experience levels and reasonably similar tastes in music makes for a relaxed, fun atmosphere. When you screw up you can laugh about it and maybe stop, go back, and try it again. And when something suddenly falls together really well…it’s magical, and you can stop and play it two more times in a row if you feel like it.
I’m not saying not to push yourself and try situations out of your comfort zone.
But from what you’ve said, this first jam was a very advanced situation for your experience level and you should NOT be questioning yourself for not being comfortable. Keep at it!

(Oh. And since the original question was “How do I play in time without a drummer?”…I dunno. 'Cause I was a drummer. :grinning:)

It was an aspect of the question for sure