How to learn new songs/bass lines

I found this video interesting and helpful. The number one takeaway for me was simply listening to the song. Over and over again. Noticing how it works, where to play, where to pause. Oh, this riff during this section, that line during that section. Oh, it’s different this one time in this certain spot.

Also, I don’t think anyone has mentioned this (I confess I didn’t read every word of every post above me)… I went ahead and bought into Ultimate Guitar, which has helped. I am the guy from “Yikes! I’ve got an audition!” if you’ve seen that epic thread, and there’s just no way that I could have managed learning that many songs — keeping up with that many YouTube videos or writing out that many cheat sheets — without UG. I’m not here to advertise for them, and I hope when my one year subscription runs out that I won’t feel the need to pay for it again, but if you find yourself in a situation where you need to learn lots of songs, I would recommend it.
I’m playing with a different band now, and I’m having to learn a lot of new material once again, so my subscription has certainly paid for itself in terms of time saved.

By the way, I would not recommend relying on tablature. I don’t rely on it in the sense of needing to look at it while I’m playing the song; I use it to make sure that I’m learning the parts properly, then I play along with the backing track (and then the actual recording) without watching tab. If I screw up, I go back and check the tab and fix that part. Rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

I use UG and own GuitarPro. I’m a big fan of both. :+1:

1 Like

Yep, the incalculable value of listening over and over to a song has been mentioned and stressed.

1 Like

And not just listen to the song, really try and listen to the bass and not jst what you think the bass is doing. Separating the two can be hard.

4 Likes

I’ve mentioned before on another thread, I hardly know the lyrics of the songs I listen to when I like the bass lines. The only things it seems that I hear are the bass lines and music taking the cue for a few words and drum fills and that’s that, lol. It’s a strange tunnel vision/ audio, but it works for me.

The songs I listen to for drum parts I know all the words to them, lol.

2 Likes

I never have a clue about lyrics unless it’s something I burned into my head as a teenager staring at liner notes. To me the voice is just another instrument adding sounds. I generally ignore them, which is bad I know, but it’s just me.

2 Likes

I’ll sometimes use them as a reference point. So a certain lyric is when we move to the next chord progression / sequence.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s me. It’s like you were there, lol.

2 Likes

For me, to learn a new bass line it’s repetition over and over again until my muscle memory kicks in. I always have music infront of me, but since I can’t read music, I use either tabs I’ve found online (and 99%of the time I’ve corrected and modified them to create my own), or I create my own tabs (ugh—so laborious).

If I’m NOT using tabs (which is probably 2/3 the time now):

FYI: I do not read music.

I also create funky notations over a page of lyrics and chords that the guitar players in our band use. Before my intros on my music I’ll have a “notes“ area—I’ll write out typical bass patterns used in the song and label them “Pattern 1”, “Pattern 2”, etc. For some songs, I’ll just write, for example, “Pattern 1….” over the verses so I don’t need to write it out a bunch of times, and I write “Pattern 2….” over the Chorus for the same reason. I add the “…….” after my pattern is identified to signify that I repeat that pattern until I come to either the next pattern or a place where I have actually written out notes for a bridge or other tricky part. All of this includes lyrics for me because I find them very helpful, especially during a gig if I happen to somehow have an errant thought and find myself momentarily confused about where I’m at in the song.

I also use a weird shorthand I came up with to compensate for not knowing my fretboard cold (even though I continue to try to embed it in my brain). I write the root note above the lyric in which it is to be played, but sometimes I also use a superscript to identify what string I am playing that note on (in addition to a subscript for the counts, if I feel I need the reminder). For example, F with a superscript of 1 (sorry, I can’t type that out on my phone for your visual), means I play the F root note on the E string, which I have called the 1 string. The reason why I do this is because a song might call for a lower F in one area, yet a higher F in another area of the song later on, so I’d label that higher F as F with a superscript of 4, for example—F played on the G (4th) string. Because I do play on open strings occasionally, I either totally leave the those notes with no superscript (to signify it’s open) or I use a zero for the superscript.

Another approach I use to help me visually during a gig, because I always have music infront of me, is I color code my music parts. Intros, instrumentals and outros are green. Choruses blue. Verses red. I do this with my tabs as well. And I put lyrics under my tabs. All of these cues help me to be where I’m supposed to be—especially on fast songs.

Clearly, I’m not a master bass player, but we find ways to compensate, when needed. I’m playing out, so it seems to work ok for me. However, my spontaneous ability to play is sorely lacking, so far. But I am able to play the original bass lines for what I feel are fairly challenging songs like Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac) and Bus Stop (The Hollies), for example, because of the methods I use. Yes, much is memorized by the time I play a gig, but the truth is, I cannot rely on my memory, and I can get an errant distracting thought, so the music infront of me is necessary.

Hopefully someone out there can benefit from the newbie (and not so newbie) tactics I’ve employed. I continue to learn—there’s so much to learn, isn’t there?:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I think a lot of musicians have developed some kind of shorthand notation for helping remembering structure, certain motifs, fingering, etc.

I am lucky that I can read music, which I think is very helpful for the learning part. Later, for the practicising part, I might employ some kind of shorthand or at list some chord changes. But, eventually, for the performing part, I really try to learn everything by heart.

I can only imagine the extra challenge this presents. Have you considered still learning to read music? :smile:

1 Like

I read and write music but found myself with an alternate method to teach the kids at school when they ask for help. Some can read but some can’t so I kinda mix and match. Using letters to indicate notes and came up with symbol they can understand.

Most people who plays by ear develop their sense of musical and timing quite naturally as it’s an organic method of learning. I do try to discourage the use of tabs before they learn the songs. It’s ok to use it to make notes correction but not as an initial step in my bias opinion. Ear first, eyes later. If they approach me with a song they want to learn I’d figure out the key of the song for them and ask them to spend a couple of days to listen and transcribe the songs by ear then I’ll help them with fills and corrections. They’d learn many valuable things that can’t be taught.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that you are reading music, but it’s not standard music notation; you’ve devised your own personal notation system.

This isn’t uncommon. I watched a video of McCartney discussing how he and John wrote music on the piano. Neither of them read music notation, nor had they had piano training, nor did they know music theory other than what they had absorbed from learning rock ‘n’ roll songs by ear, on their guitars.

Both guys developed their own ways of writing songs driven by their lyrics, a provably legit process borne out by the great music they created.

Bottom line, where there’s a will - a real fire in the belly to communicate through music - there are many ways.

2 Likes

Like everything else, schools are full of mediocre it’s there to teach you the basic and the language the rest is up to the individual. You learn and exercise the same things as everyone else.

That’s why the modern style classes and courses are so popular because you get the meat then you can geek it out on your own with details.

3 Likes

Love the idea….maybe in the future. Learning many fine art techniques currently. So many interests….less time than I wish. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I hear you… loud and clear :wink:

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you at all. Tabs are helpful for complicated bass lines for me, but I’m not a fan of relying on them. They hinder other valuable learning.

3 Likes

So interesting! Thanks for sharing that, Mike! I guess there are more ways to dance to the beat of our own drums in music than I realized (even though some ways are undoubtedly more efficient than others!) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It takes very little time to learn to read music at a basic level. I’d really encourage it. You can get a lot of mileage out of the ability to read even without the ability to sight read at full speed. I actually consider the latter to be only a marginally useful skill for many instruments, outside of being a professional musician.

1 Like

First thing I do is listen to the song repeatedly and get a feel for the groove. After understanding the basic groove I’ll pull up tabs and keep listening while reading the tabs. I sort of play the song in my head until I feel like I know it.

Then I play along with the tabs as fast as I can while keeping it clean, just a few bars at a time. Once I make a mistake I start over and play through again, and again, and again…

Then I will take the song and use something like Moises to create two tracks, one isolated bass track and another without the bass.

I put both into my DAW and then start playing along with the baseless track turned way down, just loud enough to hear the drums and vocal cues. Once I start making a lot of mistakes and screwing up parts I had previously nailed I stop practicing and give it another go later in the day or after a good nights sleep. There really is something to be said about sleeping on it!

4 Likes

Thanks, Howard. I was not aware of that. I’ll look into it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes