How to pluck the strings always in the same way?

I find when working on something new, it pays to practice it for a bit, then set it aside. Get some sleep, let the brain assimilate, and come back the next day. You’ll be noticeably better.

5 Likes

Welcome ! I am a beginner too, and what you have noticed is very real. It is important to be conscious in the way we are playing, noticing how we sound and trying to improve. At times it can be discouraging (it happens to me!) But music is like this, you cannot simply pickup an instrument and play. You have to put it the work in, and if you do sooner or later you will notice a progress. Keep at it!

Ps also: nice to see another Italian bassist :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re no slouch yourself when it comes to helpfulness, Eric @eric.kiser . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

+1 @Jazzbass19 :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @Angela, I have the same problem! Thank you for asking this

@angela.r @Jeanette
Should be an easy fix.
Depending on where you live you may need to adjust the neck relief via the truss rod because of humidity changes.
I live in central Ontario Canada and have had to adjust mine every two weeks or so with the humidity fluctuating between 35% and 79%. :+1:

2 Likes

Depending on where you live you may need to adjust the neck relief via the truss rod because of humidity changes.
Thanks, but, lol, I have no idea what you just stated. I live in Central Florida, so, yeah, there’s humidity! But, being a super noob, I don’t know what “neck relief” nor the “truss rod” are. It’s pretty chilly here right now, then warms up in the afternoons, I was wondering if that’s what keeps knocking Gil out of tune,

2 Likes

If you are plucking too hard, it could be that you have your amp volume too low. I know a few years ago when I used to practice electric guitar unplugged (no amp), I was playing too hard so I could hear the guitar. Once I stopped doing that and generally only practicing with an amp (or headphone amp), I now don’t play so hard.

Same is probably true for playing bass. I don’t think I’ve ever played without my amp and I usually have it loud enough for general playing so that when I pluck a bit harder, it’s probably a bit too loud (well maybe for my family anyway :grinning:)

The buzz could also be the way your are plucking. As you progress through B2B, Josh will regularly remind you about plucking technique.

It could also be the difference between your index and middle finger. My index has better control and I get a more consistent pluck than my middle. I’ve been doing B2B for about 2 months and it’s been getting more consistent between both fingers.

Lots of practice on open strings so you can focus on the plucking and not worry about what the left hand is doing can also help.

As others have said it could also be the setup of the bass.

2 Likes

OK I understand.

You have two choices. 1-Take your Bass to a music store and have them set it up or 2-Do it yourself.

To do it yourself - In the upper right corner of forum page you will see a little magnifying glass. Click on it and enter ‘Truss rods on the move’ or ‘Bass setup’. You will get a listing of the topics on the forum related to this. Just click on the ones you want to read.

I know it sounds scary but it really is not and can save you a lot of money in the long run.
There are also a ton of YouTube videos on this and a lot of them are linked in the BassBuzz topics.

Really - Right now we have been averaging -20C during the day and -30C at night. And I’m sure you don’t want to hear about the 3 feet of snow we have had in the last 5 days :rofl:

You can do it. Good luck.

3 Likes

Jeanette you should see slight tuning changes with temperature. I live just south of you on the east coast of Florida. Every time I pick up a bass I need to slightly tune the strings. The truss rod adjustment that is being mention helps to set the neck of the bass. If you had a setup on the bass that should have been set and down here in Florida since the temps and humidity stay relatively small range the truss rod tends to need very little or no adjusting once set. At least that is what I am finding out with my basses. If you are having buzzing issues when you play then the string height might be the problem, if you had a setup done. If you never had a setup done, and would like to learn how I would be willing to teach you. It is not that hard to do, and I can show you what tools I use and where you can obtain them. Setup is good skill to learn because when you change strings a slight adjustment in the setup is usually required.

2 Likes

Thanks, Celticstar! I’ll check it out. I was hesitant about mentioning our weather as I know y’all up North are getting hammered with the snow and cold. I’m originally from a northern state, so I do understand the real cold!

2 Likes

Thank you jclay! I have no buzzing issues, and had not had the bass set up. I didn’t know that was something I needed to do, figured I could start playing out of the box. I definitely would be interested in learning to set it up myself, sounds like something I would need to know. Let me check out Celticstar’s suggestions and see if I need more help, then I’ll get with ya?

2 Likes

Hi iDuncan, thanks for your reply! Yes, my amp isn’t turned up loud, (embarrassed to have my neighbors hear me) so perhaps I’m compensating by “hard plucking”, I’ve caught myself being inconsistent between the fingers, and tried different techniques to fix it, but am afraid of developing bad habits. So, as you suggested I will try open plucking to get the fingers in sync

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan.

1 Like

There’s another great thread on plucking here, and there may be some good things to find there:

And welcome!!

2 Likes

It is something I’m guilty of even up to this point in time and I totally get where you’re coming from with regards to not wanting to play loud so that others don’t hear me !
Mark from Talking Bass has recently posted a video on YouTube about technique and volume is mentioned several times.
I’m just trying louder volume and lighter plucking when I’m practicing now.

1 Like

I was just thinking - If you purchased your Bass from a music store they should have done a basic setup for you right from the git go, instead of wanting ridiculous money and even then there is no guarantee because they do not know how you play.

Neck relief (How much bow is in the neck, and string action (how far the unfretted strings are from the top of the fret wire) are at least things the store should have set up for you.

A proper setup makes all the difference in the world. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

@celticstar I bought it online at Sweetwater

@Mac Guess I’m going to annoy the neighbors! Lol

1 Like

Thanks @Gio, That was an informative thread. My Hubs is a drummer, and he is set up in the living room, I take my lessons in the BR. Soooo the neighbors are now going to get a bass with the drums, lol. Gonna turn up the amp. Could be worse, I could have taken up the violin :rofl:

3 Likes