How to pluck the strings always in the same way?

Thanks, Celticstar! I’ll check it out. I was hesitant about mentioning our weather as I know y’all up North are getting hammered with the snow and cold. I’m originally from a northern state, so I do understand the real cold!

2 Likes

Thank you jclay! I have no buzzing issues, and had not had the bass set up. I didn’t know that was something I needed to do, figured I could start playing out of the box. I definitely would be interested in learning to set it up myself, sounds like something I would need to know. Let me check out Celticstar’s suggestions and see if I need more help, then I’ll get with ya?

2 Likes

Hi iDuncan, thanks for your reply! Yes, my amp isn’t turned up loud, (embarrassed to have my neighbors hear me) so perhaps I’m compensating by “hard plucking”, I’ve caught myself being inconsistent between the fingers, and tried different techniques to fix it, but am afraid of developing bad habits. So, as you suggested I will try open plucking to get the fingers in sync

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan.

1 Like

There’s another great thread on plucking here, and there may be some good things to find there:

And welcome!!

2 Likes

It is something I’m guilty of even up to this point in time and I totally get where you’re coming from with regards to not wanting to play loud so that others don’t hear me !
Mark from Talking Bass has recently posted a video on YouTube about technique and volume is mentioned several times.
I’m just trying louder volume and lighter plucking when I’m practicing now.

1 Like

I was just thinking - If you purchased your Bass from a music store they should have done a basic setup for you right from the git go, instead of wanting ridiculous money and even then there is no guarantee because they do not know how you play.

Neck relief (How much bow is in the neck, and string action (how far the unfretted strings are from the top of the fret wire) are at least things the store should have set up for you.

A proper setup makes all the difference in the world. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

@celticstar I bought it online at Sweetwater

@Mac Guess I’m going to annoy the neighbors! Lol

1 Like

Thanks @Gio, That was an informative thread. My Hubs is a drummer, and he is set up in the living room, I take my lessons in the BR. Soooo the neighbors are now going to get a bass with the drums, lol. Gonna turn up the amp. Could be worse, I could have taken up the violin :rofl:

3 Likes