I am SO frustrated right now

Or #3, something shifted on the ride home. That’s happened to me, got the wiring sorted, and on the ride to my lesson it unsorted itself

2 Likes

That’s entirely possible.

I’m just… over it, right now. I’m so soured on that G&L right now that I don’t even want to figure out what happened or try to fix it. Probably sell it or something.

1 Like

Yeah mine was new, and the warranty became a hassle so I ended up returning it. It was my first ESP, and sucked me down the ESP path I’m on as they’re great basses.

But I get it. I don’t have a recommendation one way or the other as only you know when enough is enough.

Eerie how similar my tale is.

2 Likes

I don´t know how it works for you, but after a while, stuff like that can give me huge negative vibes and in that case I would probably never ever trust that bass again, even if it was fixed. If there even was a slight buzz, which is normal for singlecoils, I would torture myself, wondering if this is normal and acceptable or if something broke again. It´s irrational and stupid, but maybe you are wired in a similar way?

I once had a yellow Stratocaster copy…a pretty bad copy with horrible fret ends. It really messed with my head and for a long time, every Stratocaster in my mind was a nasty piece of junk. Still today I get bad vibes, if I see a yellow Strat… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I am wired in that EXACT same way.

In fact, I’m wired so badly in that way that because this J/J bass is bad, every time I hear a buzz out of my other J/J bass (a Carvin B4) I think that it must be going bad. And I know that it’s just 60 cycle hum on that one, but it doesn’t matter. I hear a little buzz while playing it, and suddenly I’ve got my continuity tester out poking at the Carvin… all because of the “negative vibes” that the G&L has given me.

2 Likes

If it’s that bad then you should probably get the bad juju out of the house. Can’t it be returned? It’s new and never worked?

This is also a reason I prefer used, fewer teething issues and less loss if any when you sell

2 Likes

Then I would get rid of it. This is a hobby and it´s not worth it, wasting time and ruining the experience for you. An instrument is supposed to be fun and not a burden.

Sell the bass and be done with it.

Maybe you also want to order a priest to perform an excorcism on all your other bases, just in case… :rofl:

2 Likes

Maybe get the Cannibalismo as a replacement. I feel sure it can take your other basses in a fight.

1 Like

So… I’m just going to say kudos to Pitbull Audio in National City, CA. I bought it from them through Reverb. I just got off the phone with them; I have 30 days to return it, and I was this → ← close to getting an RMA number over the phone.

HOWEVER.

National City is only about 2 hours from me. I want a new bass. If I just return it, my GF (who is my CFO) will shuttle the returned funds straight into the general fund and I won’t have a new bass.

SO.

This weekend I’m taking the G&L down to Pitbull Audio and I’m going to check out the other basses they have there. If I find one I like, that I can plug in and play before I take home to make sure it works, I’ll exchange it.

This pleases me. I am well pleased.

Dude, that thing could take ME in a fight. I picture every bassist playing one of those having to go to the ER after a gig because of blood loss from the multiple cuts and stabs it inflicted on them. :smiley:

But I still want one. I’ve got spare blood. I can suffer the wounds and blood loss.

4 Likes

That’s about the best outcome possible @JustTim .
Good luck with your hunt for a replacement this weekend.

2 Likes

On sale and Candy Apple red. Problem solved.

1 Like

Have you tried moving your amp outside and pluggin in? Away from everything?

Other than that I suggest…
Go back, bring your amp.

Do you play it a lot without touching any strings? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Confused why you are so soured on a brand with one bad bass experience.
If it was new, return it.
If it was used, this is part of the buying used process sometimes, you have to be prepared to deal with issues.

1 Like

+1
If you make enough of anything. Eventually a few of them will be sub par. I’ve had 2 G&L import guitars and they were superb. I’d have just returned it right from the start and moved on.

1 Like

That was suggested early on but he said he has inanimate object personification and attachment issues.

So, every time I set the bass down for a second, buzz as loud as the notes. Sometimes mid song (or riff, or whatever) there will be times where there’s no string contact and it’s buzz as loud as the note. And while I can make sure that I’m always touching something, ultimately, it’s not right. Something is wrong. And I’m not OK with that.

I don’t know that I’m soured on the brand, I may get another G&L when I exchange it this weekend. I dunno, I’ll see what they have in stock. I know that I am soured on that one G&L that I have… I don’t want to eff with it any more, to try to fix it or figure out what’s wrong with it.

It’s real easy to say something like that from the outside. The specific G&L I got, I got because of the look. It’s not a look that G&L currently offers, and the vendor didn’t have any more in stock; otherwise I would have just exchanged it. That being the case, I wanted to do everything I could to make that one work so that I could have that look without having to return it and try to find another one somewhere else.

I’ve done everything I could to make that one work now, so I’ve talked to the vendor and am going to exchange it for something else.

1 Like

Is this the model you bought? The Indonesian import?

I think this sounds like the best plan. Happiness is an intangible thing. If this would make you happiest it’s the right move.

1 Like

@JustTim have you tried playing it without your phone in your pocket? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes