I am wondering if I can use A250K/1Meg blend pot on a Pbass

I have a Rogue SX100B generic Pbass. I replaced the 100K with a treble bleed circuit. With an A250K with the same treble bleed circuit. On the tone pot… I have an A250K/1Meg blend pot. I’m just about done with the wiring. I’ll let you know when I’m done, and whether or not it will work out.

If anyone has any comments on my experiment. Please leave me a message

1 Like

I don’t know enough about it to add anything. Maybe @terb or @howard can offer some advice.

Definitely come back to this thread and let us know how it turns out.

I did try the blend pot. It worked as expected. But, only having the single split coil pickup. It couldn’t blend the two. So only half the pot would work. Unless, I take the split coil pickup, and make two pickups instead of just one.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the ultimate goal. Do you want to be able to control the two sides of the split coil independently?

Oh, and Welcome to BassBuzz @BubbaLeeElectricalFu!

Are you trying to work around something or just experimenting?

1 Like

Basic question, did you still have the second wire from the split coils twisted together? Or did you wire them to the pot?

I’ve only done coil split switches myself; @terb might be able to help with a blend.

1 Like

I am just experimenting right now… Kinda teaching myself about different potentometers and caps. I know that I don’t like the tone of the 500k pots. I’m trying to find the tone of my my first bass. Which was a Japanese made Pbass (Cobra was the name, and she was born in the 60’s-70’s). She had a single mini maxon humbucker. Don’t know the ohms of the pots, nor the value of the cap. But, damn she had some lows to make your teeth cringe.

The basses today doesn’t have the sound as they did in the past. Without going to a heavy gauge strings.

2 Likes

I’m just experimenting with the different ohms of the each pot, and the different value of the Caps.

2 Likes

On the split coil pickup I have, or have seen. There’s only a hot wire, and a ground wire. So, I could only hook up one half of the blender.

1 Like

Oh I am sorry. Some pickups let you split the coils as well and wire them in series or parallel. These have two more wires and thats what I thought you were going for. This is just a blend between two pickuos then?

1 Like

Actually a blend between one pickup. Unless, I can have a hot and ground for each of coil of the Pbass split coil pickup. If not then it’s just a blend between one pickup.

1 Like

Ok, now I am a little confused. How would a single-pickup blend differ from just a volume? What are you blending?

If you want to somehow blend the two sides of the pickup, then you’ll need one with four wires, and treat each side like two different pups. At least I think that would work, not sure, but you definitely won’t be able to do it with a two-wire P pickup.

Here’s typical wiring for such a pickup:

This is standard and has the sides wired in series (i.e. like one single big pickup) by twisting one coil output together with the other coil input.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did. Well like you said that it was just basically a volume pot. Anyway, I eventually took out the blender and the 250K with the treble bleed circuit. Installed two 100K pots. On the tone a 1UF value capacitor. Ms Pinky sounds a lot better than the 100K pot with the treble bleed circuit.

1 Like

I have a Rogue Sx100B. Which is a generic Pbass. She has a split coil pickup like the Pbass. Except for having 4 wires. To where you can blend each coil or split them. She has 2 wires a hot and ground. I’ve tried wiring a blend pot in her. But, noticed that she has only has one hot wire and one ground wire. Well, it didn’t exactly work like I thought.

2 Likes

pots don’t have any tone. they can be suitable for some circuits, or not. there is nothing wrong with a 500k pot, if it sounds bad it’s just that it doesn’t match your particular circuit.

yeah it’s more like blending the E-A strings and the D-G strings, considering those are two different signals. it sounds like a very bad idea to me.

anyway the blend pot is not symetrical, so it can’t work. and anyway if you really want to do that, what you need is a MN pot and not a standard stereo pot.

also it would be way more understandable with a schematic !

1 Like

pots and caps for bass are pretty much relegated to the type of pickup.
sure you can experiment, but that experimentation is a lot more useful in guitars vs. basses.
Bass VIs use different pots (1Mohm) because the tone of them are different, on purpose.
Fun to experiment, but I think you will just end up back where you started.

Thank you… I’ve never knew that. I’ve only done one guitar for a friend of mine. Other than that I’ve been learning about rewiring basses and guitars. On my 3 basses. I have a set of cheap BC Rich Pbass pickups coming. Until then I’m going to leave my Rogue SX100B alone. I absolutely love the way she sounds now. Besides, I use wiring for guitars to wire my basses. My Rogue SX100B I had only one volume pot, and moved the output jack to the front. But, now I have a volume and a tone pot.

1 Like

Yeah the only reason I could think you would want this was if you had a specific pickup height you liked but had a volume problem between the strings. Very niche.

1 Like