I had a professional setup, but

Cheers, great advice all round. I don’t want to hamper my progress so I’ll shop around i think.

3 Likes

Just remember: low action isn’t necessarily “better” - it depends on your playing style etc. See the questions that @eric.kiser asked further above in this thread.

But, yeah, for most people, 4mm is a tad high :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s high for sure.
I look to last fret at 3mm max and go lower from there.
Are the saddles bottomed out?
Is the nut height low as possible?

2 Likes

I am no luthier, but that looks crazy high action to me and also looks like the neck is angling up quite a bit. I would def get a second opinion on that.

2 Likes

Could be as simple as someone swapped the bridge out for an incompatible one etc. have to look at the whole system. Start from ground up and see what the trouble is. Maybe your luthier didn’t think it worth the time. Maybe another will.

3 Likes

@moore.jez I had the same problem with my Peavey. The previous owner left the strings tuned, but the truss rod not engaged for over a year in the garage. As a result, I couldn’t get the truss rod cranked down enough to lower the neck relief.

I used the advice from this forum, and straightened out the neck. She plays like a dream now.

This is the thread: Peavey Milestone Truss rod question

And in particular, @Korrigan 's comment:

3 Likes

Interesting points here, the guitar never had a setup back in 06 and i bought it new, so it’s had dormant years with strings on.
The stock bridge kept lowering by itself back then so I replaced it with a badass bass 2 bridge, which I believe to be designed for fenders.

The luthier mentioned something about a ski jump neck, I guess that means it’s bowed.
I’ll look at the video thanks, I’m not blessed with much free time (un)fortunately so I’ll hesitate to embark on a project!

2 Likes

OK, so basically the neck is warped badly.
May be repairable, may not be.
May be worth it to you if the bass has meaning, may not be if it doesn’t.
Not sure why he bothered to set it up if he knew the neck was that bad (which it seems it is).
Neck needs a clamping/heating/flattening at the very least.
You will not like playing it with that high of an action, not in the least and not a good way to learn.

3 Likes

Yes he said it was at the limit and may drift out again, I think that’s what’s happened.
He actually said I would probably end up selling it (although I would definitely mention the issues when putting it up for sale!)
You know when someone with much more knowledge on a subject is waxing lyrical to you as if you are at the same level? It mostly goes over your head as you nod sagely, trying not to seem completely ignorant . . .
I didn’t measure the string heights when I picked it up a month ago annoyingly.
That video was great advice, great to have tricks like that in the toolbox. I might even try tinkering with it if I end up with a new bass.

Cheers,
Jeremy

2 Likes

I am not a luthier and many people are much more knowledgeable. but if it’s seriously that bad and you are learning I would be worried about it hampering your progress and overall enjoyment. I would think even a dirt cheapo with a reasonable setup would be a step up?

5 Likes

Could also swap out the neck, but yeah. Sounds like new bass time to me too.

3 Likes

I really like that idea…

But if the neck is in real bad shape, you may be on the market for a new bass. See if you can get a good recommendation to a luthier, give them a call to let them know the scenario and see if you can get them to eyeball it and estimate before you drop it off and spend more money.

6 Likes

I Might do this, I’m not into throwing money at it if it’s a dead end. I did get an imperial set of Allen keys yesterday and tightened the rod. The relief lessened slightly but of course it introduced some buzz but it does feel easier to play so it might be worth another look by a pro.

2 Likes

You could also order another neck if you really want to save this bass and don’t mind dumping money into it.

3 Likes

Maybe it needs a shim?

2 Likes

First guy shimmed it, sounds like.

2 Likes

Here is my acoustic which has really high action.

It’s just over 3mm. The angle makes it look like less. I consider this on the edge of playability and I would expect most people here to balk at this. Particularly for a beginner. Its playable but definitely makes everything more difficult.

I thought I liked a high action but compared to what others have posted I guess I like a medium action.

Based on the picture, I would start looking for a new instrument unless someone will give you a second opinion for free and says they can get the action down to 2mm. You may not want it that low but if they can get it that low, then you have some room to work when figuring out what you like.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, this question hasn’t been answered yet… Don’t forget that action height doesn’t depend on the truss rod alone. @moore.jez could you post a picture of your bridge and saddles as well?

1 Like

If shimming the neck has not dropped the action to a value you are happy with, the last option is to reset the neck completely - shave half a millimetre off the neck pocket at the free edge, put the neck back in and check the set-up, repeat if necessary.

i think the real question to be answered here is is this bass worth it to you to sink money into to try to get it in decent shape? and if so then you need to decide what your limit is.

2 Likes