Ibanez SR300E vs. Yamaha TRBX304 (Jack of All Basses / Master of None?)

That’s what people say when they don’t own a p or jbass and they’re trying to convince themselves that everything will be ok without one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Man I love my fender precision, love the neck and fingerboard, it’s my favourite to play! Still much narrower than my 5 string and I do have small hands and short stubby fingers too.

1 Like

I love my double humbuckers with the parallel/single/series switch though they stay in series most of the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually - no. It is in fact pretty amazing how malleable the original bass tone is once you are mixing.

It turns out… everything is just fine without one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Says the guy with no pbass :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Indeed. No need for one, it turns out :rofl:

2 Likes

So the official answer to…

Q: WHAT’S THE BEST $350 “DO-IT-ALL” BASS? (YAMAHA VS. IBANEZ)”?
A: Depends

11 Likes

As always :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i dont need a pbass

3 Likes

No really, my humbuckers are plenty thumpy. And even if they weren’t, Let me introduce you to my little friend :slight_smile:

You can make a sine wave thumpy with that :rofl:

When it comes to recording or playing live, the importance of the pure original bass tone is generally really, really overrated.

2 Likes

Bingo

5 Likes

I’m just giving you a hard time and amusing myself :sweat_smile: I play and record several kinds of basses and I enjoy them all (or I wouldn’t have them) I just enjoy my pbass the most (and it’s orange too) :smile:

I still “need” a semi-hollow and a 6 string and I’m moving soon so I’ll have more space for more basses! :laughing:

3 Likes

It’s really funny. There’s still bass tones I want, even though I rationally know that tone is so fungible at this point that I don’t need them. But my “ooh shiny!” brain would really love, say, a hollow-body Gretsch.

5 Likes

You know what makes me want a Gretsch hollow body? My Gretsch semi-hollow guitar

1 Like

um
:eyes:
right… there’s always one.

Ok.
Pro tip: look at the bass in my profile pic. Can you make out what it is? Here, let me help…:

:grin:

2 Likes

My wife is 5"1, and her fingers are longer than mine. :joy:

1 Like

Never mind the bass, what’s the deal with that mustache? :grin:

4 Likes

@Mike_NL : Where were you in 1975? :rofl:

2 Likes

I definitely didn’t need to shave yet, that’s for sure :joy:

3 Likes

yeah - about 7-8 years away from shaving for me :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m really happy with my Ibanez, I enjoy practising with it and am not looking to replace it any time soon.
It’s not about finding what’s ‘best’ I just want to understand better where it fits in the big picture. Like, when I buy a car, without being an expert I at least understand what the different catergories of car are and their use cases, and within a category what the different characteristics between models are so I can make a reasonably informed decision based on my needs.
With basses I don’t really know what the categories are or why I would want one over the other, or even what puts a bass in a particular category.

From reading through replies in this thread I’m gathering it comes down to pickup type and configuration, is that it?

3 Likes