If you had to pick one?

Sweetwater worked with me for months. I’m not a compulsive buyer to say the least.
Thanks for your input. Looking forward to learning how to play as good as it looks.
All the best.

5 Likes

Welcome @Gerald_Anderson

4 Likes

Thank you

4 Likes

This is the one Julian. @juli0r
Jamie

3 Likes

Pix please

3 Likes

I have an American P Bass and love it. But I picked up a Squier Jazz and I think it’s easier to play. Blasphemy, I know. But the Jazz neck at the bottom (“where the money is made”) works better for me. Thinking of going full Fender Jazz now.

5 Likes

So many bass guitars, so little time. I’d have to go with a 70’s JB.

4 Likes

Hands down,
A FENDER STANDARD FRETLESS JAZZ BASS !!!
Nothing more
Nothing less

4 Likes

So glad you got your wish on your birthday - happy (belated) 50th, bud!!

5 Likes

If I had to pick just one, I’d stick to my J-Bass . . . :wink:

But, much like @eric.kiser, I have my eye on the newest version:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassAP2MOW--fender-american-professional-ii-jazz-bass-olympic-white-with-maple-fingerboard

This one has the “slim C” neck and sculpted neck heel . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

slim C and D are my favorite neck profiles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

a wide and fat C for me :grin:

3 Likes

@Mac, I’ve played an Ibanez EB600, Squier Jaguar (short), Hofner traveler, and even a very heavy Hondo jazz bass, but once I got my hands on a Fender American Performer PJ, I had to have it! Ordered it from Sweetwater in Satin Lake Placid Blue. I play mainly with the P pup and run flats through a Fender Rumble Studio 40.

4 Likes

I love my TRBX504. Fast neck, good sounds, very versatile.

But if I had to pick one, although it wasn’t my favorite to play in the store, it would probably be an American Fender P-Bass. Preferably one made pre-1970’s. Might go the Donald Dunn route and put a Jazz neck on it.

Most basslines you’ve probably heard of had a P-Bass in it. Many great bassists used P-Basses. If I had to pick one, that’s what I would pick (and I might buy one day, but that’s a different story).

That being said, during the days I’d play my PBass, and have dreams in the night of a Rickenbacker 4003.

5 Likes

Thanks @Vik! It’s great to hear from you.

I didn’t end up getting that one but I did get a 2015 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass which came with the Custom Shop 60’s pickups. Oh man is it nice! I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

Also, I can’t believe you remembered this thread. I had forgotten all about it. I hope more people start posting here.

Joe, they are amazing. I’ve had a chance to play around with a couple of them. That new tapered heal really feels like it’s made for your hand. I know that’s what it’s supposed to feel like but I was expecting something more gimmicky. It’s different than the one on the Ultra and I thought it was much better done. It felt better in the hand.

5 Likes

Great question. Mine comes down to a choice between a Fender P, Fender J, and EBMM Stingray. The Fender J may be the most versatile tone-wise but is personally my least favorite to play of the 3, so it’s out.

I’ve never actually played an EBMM Stingray but I have a Sterling Ray24CA and I assume the EBMM would be like that, but nicer (and with a slightly chonkier neck). Anyway since I’ve never had my hands on one I’ll have to relegate it to 2nd place for now.

I’ll take the Fender P, it may not be the most versatile bass in the world but it thumps like a MF’er and I love it.

4 Likes

My Fender Mustang PJ. It just feels right in my hands. If I need to get a different tone I can always change the EQ on my amp or change up my pedals.

2 Likes

Is “stabbing my eyes repeatedly with a red hot poker” an option too, might pick that!

In seriousness, hard to say. If it could be any bass? I’d have to try some out to make a decision. I’d love to try some higher end Schecter basses. Want to try more Warwick, Fodera and I think it was Kiesel. Maybe some Sandbergs too.

Of basses I have played? I’d choose my Schecter Stiletto Stealth. I don’t care that it is a mid tier bass, it sounds good to me and it is by far the most comfortable instrument I have played!

3 Likes

Bass tiers don’t exist in this community. If people like it, then it is the right bass for them! I know you didn’t mean it that way though.

I kinda feel like if I went into a recording studio and they tried to get me to play one of their house basses instead, I’d just flatly refuse. I like what I like. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I mean more price wise in regard to tiers. Those definitely exist, otherwise I’d have like 20 basses!

3 Likes