Impossible bass lines

An iconic bass line @howard

6 Likes

@Mac Nice “click bait” on the title there! :smiley:

Impossible is just in our heads mate you just need to take your time and be patient with yourself…

For me learning the bass lines to songs that I especially love are harder than most because:

• I want to be playing them already like the original
  • They feel quite wrong when I slow them down
  • They loose meaning sometimes when you divide them into chunks…
  • I (personally) loose my focus easily since I am enjoying it too much

My absolute suggestion from personal experience is to simplify it! The bass line is basically 8 8th notes…

https://youtu.be/zAdAz8-eX38

Here are some levels you could use:

1. Simplest you can play this would be just chugging the root notes of the chords on rythm
    The chords:
    LIVIN ON A PRAYER CHORDS (ver 2) by Bon Jovi @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
    I also like chordify to play along:
    Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer Chords - Chordify

2. Then you can go octaves like Root (Open E) Octave (E on 7th fret) or (E on 2nd Fret)
    Root - Octave - Root - Octave - Root - Root - Root - Octave

Especially on the chorus and pre chorus don’t try to replicate the every single fling the original bass line does but focus on keeping on the rythm with the chord changes (not doing hammer ons when needed are not as bad as chugging the wrong note inside a mix)

Another insight on how humans learn:
Working this out 15 minutes a day for 3-4 days would give much better results than pushing for 2 straight hours and feeling bad about yourself in the end…

Maybe you have already passed these phases but I wanted to share incase it would be useful to someone…

8 Likes

Thanks for your reply @Fahri :sunglasses:
I’ll certainly be giving it a go and see where the journey leads to

3 Likes

This is really solid advice. Breaking down the beat(s) with the root note is what I do, and adding octaves or triads is a stroke of genius.

I’ll add that if you’re slapping, run the slap/pop pattern with any ol’ root/octave that’s comfortable to get the feel for the rhythm. And if you have hammer-ons, pull-offs, ghost notes, etc – feel free to leave them out until you get the beat.

For this one, continuous, dedicated practice is the thing that won the day for me. Also when first learning it, I tended to rush, so you might find playing it along with the song is easier than letting your brain assume it’s faster than it is (as mine did). I still have to tell my fingers to chill out a bit when I play it AND – it’s essential I warm up beforehand, even now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

100% facts!! Me too.
I need to slow it down a bit and just nail the dang thing. I’ve got two many partial songs in my brain at the moment too

2 Likes

Yeah – going slow can absolutely be harder (for the above reasons @Fahri mentioned, especially). My current “impossible bass line” is Master of Puppets, but I’m getting better.

Nice thing about impossible bass lines. They tend to only be temporarily impossible. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Funny thing with slow stuff is my timing goes out the window especially if there’s something fancy coming up that I’m dreading/looking forward to. Almost a rush to get to the good bit :joy:

2 Likes

This guy I found on YouTube has some thoughts.

4 Likes

Wow I forgot that this video has existed as well! thanks @JimP

4 Likes

That’s awesome, Mac! Let us hear what comes out of this!!

As for the main question: you’ve got to ask yourself whether you want to (or need to) duplicate the bass line exactly as heard on this or that recording; or, whether you want to play a musical bass line (within your technical means) that supports the song?

Yes, some bass lines are iconic and probably shouldn’t be tampered with, but then again, why not?? I guess this is probably “easier” in jazz where there is more wiggle room… just because Jaco played it such and such shouldn’t mean I can never play bass on The Chicken!

Sure, those “impossible” bass lines are great exercises and goals to achieve, but at the end of the day, wouldn’t you rather provide a solid rocking groove than badly stumble through a Steve Harris imitation? (just an example… I don’t know who plays bass for Bon Jovi :man_shrugging:)

3 Likes

I look at covers as part of the learning process like any other exercises. Your correct though my end goal is to play BASS not other peoples bass.

1 Like

Listening to more Bon Jovi I now feel I should know who the bass player is as many of the bass lines are technically interesting :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I’ll certainly keep you updated regarding my jazz foray. I’m experimenting a fair bit with styles ranging from country to thrash metal just to expand my repertoire :joy:

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, the bass line on “Living on a prayer” was recorded by Hugh McDonald uncredited. He replaced Bon Jovi’s original bass player (Alec John Such) in 1994.

2 Likes

Thanks for that @Mike_NL :+1:

1 Like

For me I find “A little respect” (the Wheatus version) hard. It’s no so much it’s complex but hitting that rapid line straight away really messes me up. Something like Livin on a prayer, not a problem for me but straight in and a solid 1 e & a 2 e & a …etc without any lead up? Seems simple but it’s such a hard thing for me to do without really concentrating on it and even then, lol. It’s amazing what you can block you.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble with involving the open E string in the bass line @Ferengo .I’m tending to use the A in the 7th fret. Not a conscious decision , it just happens :woozy_face:
And it’s really frustrating me

1 Like

@Mac What tab are you using? Way back I was given a tab by a teacher and tried it. For me it was how it was laid out. I worked it out in a simpler layout. Exactly the same notes but just a way that made more sense to me. Then something that took 2 weeks to try and get right, clicked in less than a half hour.

1 Like

I’ve been trying cover solutions tab off of YouTube @Ferengo
Not looked at Josh’s video yet I’m ashamed to say.

@Mac The tab for the main riff looks right. It’s how I’d play it, not the weird way I got shown. Not sure I can suggest anything other than play it slow and gradually speed it up as you feel comfortable. Sorry I couldn’t suggest anything else.

1 Like

No no thanks for your input @Ferengo and everyone that’s replied.
I was really just venting frustration but the suggestions will certainly be taken onboard and attempted

1 Like