Improvising with the major scale is fun!

Well you wanted to learn how to play it and you did. If you’d spent that 2-3 months playing easier pieces would you have learned to play it? No. If you wanted to learn more of something else, then you set the wrong goal. I’ve heard from people who spent a year or more working on a difficult piece. You do whatever makes you happy.

In my experience, if i want to make the best/fastest progress, I always have to be working on stuff that’s difficult to play. To me that means i can probably play them cleanly with a week or two of practicing for 30 mins in the evenings. I also don’t just work on one thing so i might work on something that requires much longer to learn. There are lots of difficult things i’ve been interested in learning but that wasn’t the best use of my time; clearly what you consider “frustrating” is not the same as what I do… I like climbing mountains, not beating my head on them. In any case I’m going to learn more working on something harder than i am something easier; i’ll just have to play it slower… but I’m also very good at breaking things down and figuring out the best way to do them. You know what they say about the best way to eat an elephant…

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.” - Henry Ford

1 Like