In Ear Monitors

BASN Bmaster Triple Drivers in Ear Monitor Headphone with Two Detachable Cables Fit in Ear Suitable for Audio Engineer, Musician (White) Amazon.com

I have used these in ear monitors for the last three years playing with different bands/church groups and also use them recording most of my cover videos…… Great monitors IMHO….

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

Been curious about these for a while.
Why/How do you use them?
For gigs, practice rehearsal?
What are the benefits etc?

1 Like

They are like headphone without the bulk. There are different grade of IEMs available at all price range from $15-$15000. Great ones starts at just less than $20. There are just about any kind of frequency tuning iem that would fit your style in your price range, seriously. It’s a great hobby and pretty affordable for the most part, lol.

You’d need more of a V shape tuning for practice and gig as a bass player, because you do want to push too hard just to get to the meaty bass. You use it the same way you use the headphone. I have a wireless monitor so I can use it without being tether to some stationary hub.

For the gig, you have the advantage of individual volume adjustment and the engineer/ mixer can talk directly to the band or to you. It’s a much better and easier to mix and control much better than using wedges and/ or PA although it’s still nice to get some sound wave hitting you from the speakers/ cabinets

A couple church groups that I’ve played with use monitoring systems…

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1550516-REG/cad_gxliem4_quad_mix_wireless_in.html?ap=y&smp=y&srsltid=AfmBOopZohPTOH2EKOd3tgMd0yUZTHGLRBCev2QminyC3ryOPka01OgqsS8

Since many different musicians fill in and play, most everyone has their own in ear monitors that plug into the wireless units that attach to your belt (kinda like a cell phone)…. Click beats can also be programed in so that every musician can hear the click and stay on beat (including the drummer)… Additionally, the main unit can be set to provide certain levels of frequencies to each individual unit so that you can more easily hear each instrument including your own as the band plays…. However, the greatest benefit to in ear monitors when playing with a band or group is that you hear no outside distractions. They do help protect your hearing on stage…

When I use them for recording music videos, I run the cables behind my head and under my shirt. Instead of plugging the in ear monitor into a wireless unit, I have a long extension cord that I plug them into and then plug directly into my DIA where my headphones typically plug into…. This allows me to record live tracks without headphone (cans) providing a cleaner look to the video…

I never use them when I practice - much easier to just use my headphones…

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

I definitely recommend this Fiio FH3. I just bought this on ebay from the guy that turn out to be 15 mins from me. Great price, although it said open box but it’s sealed brand new. I order one thing that shipped to me and I saw the address I placed a couple more order and asked if I can pickup.

The IEM is perfect for bassist. Not V shape but great bass, very tight punchy bass. The accessories that comes with this package is just top notch. For $60 you can’t beat it. Regular price is $130. Highly recommend

travis dykes has a couple of videos about IEM and wireless systems:

2 Likes

:joy: I wrote this last week and then forgot to post it :laughing:

The Timeless AE look great, they’re one of the best affordable planars out there! I though about the original Timeless for a long time but I have so many earbuds/headphones/IEMs already that they were expensive enough to be out of my danger zone :smile:

Compared to the Zero2, the AE look pretty similar with a bit more “air” https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=Timeless_AE,Zero2_S1&tool=4620

The Letshuoer s12 pro is popular too, very similar to the timeless with a bit more treble and quite a bit cheaper right now.

1 Like

I went on a shopping spree and got a few iems. I like Fiio, love the packaging and what’s included the unboxing experience is top tier. I now have the FH3, FH-E, FA7, FH7 and 4 of the UWTs3 and 5 Bluetooth units.

I found that many of the reviewers on YouTube are kind of BS or have the kinds of listening Kung Fu I don’t have. It’s difficult to make decisions based on the review. I love the Moondrop Chu /Chu 2 if I didn’t know any better I’d say that they are a lot more expensive than $19 price tag same goes to both Zeros heck all 4 of Crin’s zeros are quite awesome.

May be I’m just lucky to have a cheap listen ears, I put in a preorder for the Timeless 2, I probably won’t go any more expensive than that. Although there are a few high end Fiio I’d love to get, :joy:

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re having fun, maybe I can live vicariously through you when you get your timeless 2 :smiley:

My brain adapts pretty quickly to anything so unless something is really bad, it sounds find to me. There are definitely some I prefer for different genres but they’re mostly different and not better. I’m like that with music too, I rarely chase tone because i can find so many things that sound good to me :slight_smile: It’s like that when i play a bass i haven’t played in a while… “wow this sounds great, why don’t I play this more?” then I play it for a bit and go back to my pbass :slight_smile:

The only thing that’s really noticeable is when i come home wearing my bone conduction headphones and then switch to pretty much anything else, it always sounds super muddy for the first few minutes :joy:

coffee aficionados are just as nuts as audiophiles :laughing: For the most part, I’m a “good enough” sort of guy and i prefer something that’s more practical or better value. I do often wonder what it’s like to be those people who are have such a narrow field of things they enjoy that they’re always chasing something “better”.

I’m loving the fit of my Truthear Hola IEMs, they’re probably one of the best fitting of any earbud/IEM I’ve used. It really makes me realize just how important good fit is. :slight_smile: I might try the crinacle red but if i hold off a bit longer, there will be all new stuff :joy: I do really like FiiO products too, i have their BTR5 headphone DAC and it’s great!

I want to buy a 6 string bass; i’ve managed to avoid buying 2 good used Ibanez BTB so far… Every time I think about buying one, i go play for 30+ minutes so I’m getting in a lot more playing time :joy:

1 Like

do you have a link to those earbud buds? I just ordered these and those memory foam ear buds look great.

Memory Foam Tips for Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 / Plus/Beats Studio Buds, No Silicone Eartips Pain, Anti-Slip Replacement Ear Tips, Fit in The Charging Case, 3 Pairs (Assorted Sizes S/M/L, Black) Amazon.com

1 Like

Thank you!
I’m going to try them without first and if needed I’ll give them a try. They come on Thursday.

2 Likes

I try to avoid memory foam because it really blocks all sounds, lets face it when you use iems you are really detach from anything around you. Memory foam just does it even better, :laughing:. But really it’s kinda hurt my ears a little. I like the silicone tips.

I actually have the 3D scan for both ears from an audiologist I was going to get a custom iem made but decided not to go through with the order, lucky for me the company now went out of business.

I have foam tips that I use for listening to music at work and Starbucks because they’re great for that extra isolation. They also have a significant effect on the sound profile too, usually emphasizing the bottom end so if you have an IEM/earbud that’s already bass heavy, foam tips can make it overly boomy. The pair I use them also has a very short nozzle so the foam really helps with the fit. Narrow silicone tips will also enhance bass over wide bore tips. I generally prefer spinfit silicone tips :slight_smile: silicone tips are much more durable too, foam tips are difficult to clean and don’t stand up as well to regular use.

2 Likes

I’ll be getting the Hola soon. I have a few coming the Cadenza is coming tomorrow. It’d probably similar to many that I already have but we’ll see. So far I love the FH-E and the FA7 the FA7 fits really well and sounds just awesome. There’s one more Fiio that I want to try the FH15. It looks great with the teardrop design.

I’m using the BTR15 and M11 but i found that the apple dongle is pretty darn great as well.

1 Like

I like the memory foam 100% for the fit. The silicone tips always wiggle loose. I’ve tried different sizes and higher quality silicone products and they all fall out. The memory foam stays put.

2 Likes

So I got my ZSN Pro IEM and while I do find them comfortable, using them with a NU-X Mightyplug MP2 I get a terrible hiss.
Switch to my Arctis Nova Pro (wireless but connected wired) I get no hiss at all, or at least it’s imperceptible.
I have not tried them through my interface, but using the MP2 is my standard practice method. Sadly this won’t work. Maybe there’s a workaround somewhere. I’ll search the web.

EDIT
It seems it’s due to them being more sensative than other headphones and it’s catching the noise floor of my device. Adding an impedence adaptor should help. Now just need to find what ohms to get. According to this thread they recommend 75 ohms. Perhaps I’ll start there.

1 Like

I got my 80ohm adaptor and it works wonderfully. No more hiss and the earbuds are already quite comfy. I’ll give them a proper workout to see how they feel after a longer session, but for now, they have been saved from the return packaging.

Link to the adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMG8144

3 Likes

Just an update on the IEM discussion.

I recently picked up these on sale, which if you don’t mind the green color, they appear to be on sale often.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0C8WJGW8Z

I can tell you the comfort in the ear is so much nicer. They come with Comply brand memory foam ear buds so you squish them before putting them in and they form to the inside of your ear.

Super comfy and blocks out most noise around you so keep that in mind.
I still need to use the impedance filter, though. Too bad, but not the end of the world.

3 Likes

For the longest time, all I see people use the Shure IEMs on their gigs. They are very popular among musicians. It builds like a tank.

1 Like