Intervals Beyond the First Octave

Yeah, I mean it’s all just teaching philosophy of which one they think should go first, in the real world I think you’re fine either way.

3 Likes

Wow! That was helpful. Thank you

It can be useful for grabbing a 3rd below the 5th for a chord. I run into it sometimes on dominant approaches in walking jazz. It never hurts to always learn something new, but I wouldn’t rack your brain over it

1 Like

Alot of great info here, the thing I’m having a hard time with now is understanding that a Cmajor 13 compounded and a Cmajor 13 within one octave is the same thing since when you look at them side by side the notes are not played in identical order.CEGBDFA and CDEFGAB ,so does it really matter that the notes are played in different sequence. Also realize this is an old conversation so any input would be appreciated, currently trying to get through that Chord tone essentials course. Thanks!

2 Likes

The chords are the same, the fact that they are played in an arpeggiated fashion, even strummed, is a characteristic of the instrument, not the chord. On a piano all the notes would be simultaneous.

This is of course an odd example as it is all the notes in the scale.

Thank you!

1 Like