Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the fold @alexicon. Even if you’ve been playing a while I’m sure you’ll get a lot from this course.

5 Likes

Welcome @alexicon

5 Likes

Welcome @alexicon, thanks to our generous new members policy here, we do allow former guitarists. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

lol thanks Josh :joy:

i am a full bass convert now, one of my new favorite hobbies is making up basslines while i’m watching netflix. anything to get more playtime into my day!!!

7 Likes

So, I am 54 and purchased a bass to take advantage of the Covid situation. I tried playing when I was younger… but I wasnt patient enough to take lessons consistently. This was long before the Internet. Now, I am an empty nester. I found Josh on YouTube. Between that, bass tabs, and other videos I feel both good and overwhelmed. I am playing riffs (somewhat)… but a lot of the stuff goes way too fast. I am not sure if I am jumping in the middle or from the beginning.

11 Likes

Hi @bcherry. Welcome to BassBuzz!

Josh’s YouTube videos move a lot faster than the course does.

If you want to see how the YouTube videos line up with the course, you can look here… BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide - Bass - BassBuzz Forum

The YouTube videos are definitely not a replacement for the course. The course is fantastic.

4 Likes

Welcome @bcherry

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @bcherry,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @bcherry!

4 Likes

Welcome @bcherry

5 Likes

Hi. I’ve been making experimental electronic music for some years, and I started learning bass a few years ago for the sake of something tactile, to improve my ear & musicianship in general, and because the low end is just better. I had been learning mostly from a certain website that I still like a lot, but it hasn’t been updated in quite a few months now and I got bored of repeating its lessons. So most of B2B has been review so far, although I’m slapping for the first time and I haven’t gotten the hang of picking (especially muting with a pick). I also couldn’t improvise if my life depended on it. I’d like to learn more instruments eventually – maybe just voice and keyboards – but first I’d like to reach the point where I can actually use my bass playing in my music… Somehow everything falls apart if I start recording… Although I have also recently started trying to get better at finger drumming, and I am actively using that.

Other pursuits: volunteer work, photography, horticulture, cooking & baking, a little bit of DIY electronics and circuitbending type stuff, a little audio programming with SuperCollider.

My last name really is Goodfriend. I am not a good friend. Sorry.

I play real bass right-handed, but air bass left-handed.

12 Likes

Welcome aboard, @alexgoodfriend . . . :slight_smile:

We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Cheers, Joe

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @alexgoodfriend!

8 Likes

Welcome @alexgoodfriend

8 Likes

Welcome @alexgoodfriend

8 Likes

Welcome aboard @alexgoodfriend,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

8 Likes

Welcome @bcherry! I’d second what @eric.kiser said - it’s hard to know you’re starting in the right place with anyone’s Youtube videos because the platform just doesn’t lend itself to structured curriculum.

Welcome @alexgoodfriend! As I’ve recorded myself for many years, I can attest that it takes lots of practice to get your bass playing to sound good when listened to under the microscope. It’s a good learning experience to listen back and make improvements! It might be helpful to track down some isolated bass tracks from popular songs (you can find a lot on Youtube) to get a better reference for what to expect though - there are lots of finger clacks etc. that get totally covered in a mix.

10 Likes

Welcome to bass & enjoy. I too started at age 60 & there’s just no looking back now.

6 Likes

Hello everyone! 40yr old here looking to start the journey of learning to play the bass. Found this site through BassBuzz youtube, really dig how he teaches and the content he puts out. I don’t have a bass yet, still in the “I don’t know what to get for my first bass” phase. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I’ll pick one up and start getting into the lessons offered here.

12 Likes

Welcome @CosmicApe. Keep reading the threads and watching the posts, you will find lots of information about basses and tips about what to buy. @JoshFossgreen did a wonderful roundup of beginner basses which you should be able to find with a search (I wish I could recall exactly where it is).

You’ll find lots of helpful people here too.

9 Likes