Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the Introduce Yourself thread, @gipsj. You’ve been around the course for a bit so you know what it’s like in here. You’ll also have figured out that in some circles around here you’re a ‘youngster’ - or maybe ‘middle aged’.

It’s always worth remembering that you can repeat all or part of the course at any time, and taking an unscheduled sabbatical comes with the territory of life. As long as you always make it back to bass, you’re doing ok.

5 Likes

Dreaded CRS! I’ve had it for years, and I’m only 54.

7 Likes

Welcome @allanlamonte! Glad you found a bass you love. :blush:

And welcome @gipsj if I didn’t welcome you already! Glad you finished the course and hope you find some folks to play with soon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome @PWC73. Enjoy the journey!

3 Likes

Hello,
I started Beginner to Badass back in November, I’ve been ripping through the lessons and putting off the “Introduce yourself” forum post until today. I’m just starting module 16 so I’m almost finished now. Anyway, I’m 42 and used to play percussion in school many years ago. I picked up a Squier P-Bass and Rumble 15 (Do not recommend) for pretty cheap awhile back and have been debating getting private lessons ever since. I’m glad I found B2B because my schedule would make regular one-on-one lessons difficult to attend. I’ve learned alot so far and look forward to practice every day. The Rumble 15 blew a speaker early on, but I use a Vox Amplug along with my iPhone for all of the lessons and it is the best $40 I’ve ever spent. I also have an Eden EC10 amp (meh), and a Zoom MS-60B pedal to play around with. I like metal, funk, and other assorted genres of music that are not country. If I could play 10% as well as Les Claypool I would be happy.

10 Likes

Nice! Those little AmPlugs are a great buy for practice.

How do you like the MS-60B? We have a Zoom thread over here:

2 Likes

@gipsj Good grief! That is some serious Bass you upgraded to! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. First time I’ve ever spent a good chunk of my bonus on myself instead of my family. I think I’m in love with my bass :grin:

You’ve got a great life story that I find to be truly inspirational.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check the thread out. So far I like it but I’m still learning how to use it. I’m still on the first set of batteries. I have noticed some digital noise, like hiss or something that comes in right after some notes and stops after a fraction of a second. I need to try a power supply or fresh batteries to see if it goes away. Otherwise I like that I can test out all sorts of effects to see what they sound like. I had no idea what the heck a flanger did, for example.

4 Likes

Welcome @tom6599! Hope the course is going well for you. :+1:

1 Like

(belated) Welcome. You seem to have slipped in while I wasn’t looking. I saw in your profile that you have an intriguing job title: “furniture frame engineer”. Do tell.

3 Likes

Hello!
As you can see my name is Stefan and I live in Austria (so sorry for bad english). I am 36 years old.
I love music in all kind of forms and as a kid was always playing some kind of instrument during early school days. Flute, xylophone, drums. But I never managed to stick to anything and especially with drums I suspect my teacher having the most negative impact of why I stopped.

I tried to start playing guitar a few years back but failed :frowning: I will now try again and stick with this, as I think the rhythm-thing is more my my jam. I got a Ibanez SR300EB and I am currently starting to work through the course. It’s damn fun and love the sound of a bass guitar. My brain hurts sometimes and my fingers do too, but it feels good to make small and slow progress so far!

Thanks for this awesome course, it makes the whole learning thing a lot more fun.

11 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

herzlich wilkommen! (Google Translate; I don’t speak German)

3 Likes

Welcome Stefan.

Speaking good English is optional around this forum as most of us are American. :wink: :shushing_face: (I’m the rare breed: an actual Englishman). Joking aside, you’re English seems good enough to me and clearly you understand @JoshFossgreen - and that’s all that matters.

If you read the forums and interact with them you’ll find that the support and encouragement makes the course even better than it already is, and there is always somebody able to help if get a little bit stuck.

4 Likes

It’s true. My english is terrible and I am a native speaker.

3 Likes

Welcome @StefanK! Good luck sticking with the bass. What always motivates me is the saying “Singing and guitar is the music to the ears, but the BASS is what gets butts out of the seat” (or something like that). Nothing like a fat funky groove to get people moving!

4 Likes

Welcome @StefanK! Glad you’re enjoying the course and you’ve got a nice bass to play on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@StefanK: I will be visiting Vienna with my wife this weekend, took this opportunity to chime in and let you know that while I work for a German company (attending a meeting in Budapest next week), I do not speak your language and thus appreciate your willingness to share in English!

If you visit my LinkedIn profile, I share my work life there. As for music, I’ve always been bass through and through, in voice and in instruments (double b-flat tuba, trombone and baritone on occasion), sing low bass (always the lowest of all men’s section) and barbershop quartet.

Song that initially inspired me to sing and to love bass? Oak Ridge Boys “Elvira.” Pick any song with a standout bass part (country, rock, pop, 60’s thru 80’s) and I love it. I even listen to Russian Orthodox singers (ultra low men’s only bass chorus). Never played guitar, but when I moved about a year ago to a new house in a very small town in North Carolina, I left my adult church choir tenure of 25+ years behind and suddenly found myself in a non-musical state.

That’s when I got this crazy idea to start playing bass guitar. My goal? Become proficient enough to gig well enough to make the best musicians in the world proud as they slowly drift into retirement one by one (i.e., the best bands of the classic rock era). So, I figure I can take over the scene and keep the 60’s through 80’s music alive as the original artists enter their 100’s. After all, most of the popular music after the 90’s isn’t worth listening to, so someone has to play gigs with music that still rocks after 50 years!

Cheers…

5 Likes

I hadn’t realised it but that’s what I’m doing too. Maybe not with such commitment.

2 Likes