Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome aboard @Badmule1952 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Mike C:
thanks for the kind words…btw - I saw & heard Grace belt out “Somebody to Love” live in the mi-eighties when they came back as Starship!
One of the great female vocalists ever!
I’m currently working on Lesson 67…need to get this basic technique nailed…
(Rocky Racoon, indeed - LOL)

7 Likes

Welcome to the dysfunctional family @Badmule1952

8 Likes

I come from a dysfunctional family…this is familiar territory!

10 Likes

Just signed up, 54 years old, hope this is doable lol. Just finished first module, super excited so far, have an aria pro II bass. Any suggestionss greatly appreciated.

14 Likes

Congratulations on getting started. That’s the hardest step.

As for suggestions, I have three.

1. Trust Josh and the program. It is really that good. When he says to not let yourself get bogged down in a particular exercise, believe him, and keep moving forward. This will become particularly important when you meet Billie Jean in Module 4. If you start to get frustrated with Billie Jean, read this topic Billie Jean is a Wicked Mistress, and know you aren’t alone.

2. Use the search function (the magnifying glass in the right hand corner). BassBuzz has been around for a few years now and if you have a question there’s a good chance someone has already asked it. But, if you can’t find exactly what you’re looking for, see #3.

3. Ask questions. The more the better and don’t hold it in because you’re worried it might be a “dumb question”. We are a beginner forum and most everybody is here because they either have questions or they like helping people that have questions. There are people here with specialties that are all over the place. If you have a question, there is someone here that can answer it.

A great big Welcome to the forum @jackyounger and to all the other new people!

12 Likes

Welcome. My advice is follow the course at whatever pace is comfortable, and don’t hesitate to ask questions or feel something is too dumb to ask. Everyone here will help.

8 Likes

Glad you are here @jackyounger !

8 Likes

Welcome to badassery, @jackyounger. As Eric said, Josh is the man with a plan, and it works. Really works. All it takes to succeed is to follow his lead, have the will to learn, and practice. This is a great group of folks who are here to offer help and encouragement. Glad you’re with us.

7 Likes

Welcome @jackyounger ! Glad you are here. The advice these guys give is on point.
There are a lot of us here that started late. My first bass was a 50th birthday present to myself.

This is totally do-able. you can make this happen.

Best advice i got? The only dumb questions are the ones that don’t get asked. There is no shame in not knowing something. This forum is a great place, because everyone here is genuinely interested in helping people play.

Good luck on your bass journey! Now ima go play some journey.

8 Likes

Welcome @jackyounger

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @jackyounger ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Welcome @jackyounger !

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for the encouragement

8 Likes

Yolenom @jackyounger and @ @Badmule1952

7 Likes

Welcome @jackyounger
Enjoy the ride plus we all young at heart as well

7 Likes

Hello!

I am a 70-year-old retired industrial electrician, having worked in various factories for over 40 years in that capacity. My main hobby is ham radio, which I have been doing since 1981. I mainly talk with stations in foreign countries and use Morse Code in my hobby.

Many years ago, I decided that I would learn to play the bass guitar and bought a cheap guitar from J.C. Penney (that was way back, when they sold a lot of different kinds of things!) and a Fender Bassman amplifier from a local owner. I took a couple of lessons but did not feel that I was getting anything out of the lessons. I also did not devote much time to practicing, so I gave up my ambition of playing the bass. I gave the guitar away and sold the amp to a friend of mine.

A few weeks ago, I was out running errands in my car and listening to an FM station on the way home. They played the song “Get Ready” by the group Rare Earth, which I had not heard for many years. When I got home, I went to YouTube and did a search for “Get Ready.” One of the choices was the bass cover for that song, by “djlcruze” and after listening to the song and watching him effortlessly play the bass, I just KNEW that I had to learn the bass!

I recently bought a used Fender Squier Affinity Precision Bass and also a small Fender bass amp. I have had one lesson with an instructor at one of the local
stores of a national guitar store chain. I have done just a little practicing, but everything just seems so “foreign” to me. My relatively short & fat fingers do not seem to help very much.

When I was a kid, my mother, a very accomplished organist, taught me how to play the organ and how to read music. I got to where I could play simple songs, using my left hand for the chords and my right hand for the melodies. I never stayed with the organ playing.

Now, I am here in my “older years” and trying to learn to play the bass giutar. I keep telling myself that if I was able to learn Morse Code and to get good at it, then I can learn how to play the bass. That is my “story” and please wish me luck. Thank you!

11 Likes

Right on, Bradford! Glad you’re with us. Tune up, turn on, and trip out!

6 Likes

Welcome @Bradford ! You might be surprised at how many of us are in our “older years”.

7 Likes

Glad you are here @Bradford

8 Likes