Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

For piano, I went to Piano Marvel, which has sight reading from the gate. So that’s where I learned time signatures and tempo. I got frustrated with the complexity of the piano, so I took a break. I plan to go back to that again.

Which is why I was curious about music theory. Piano Marvel seems to be tech heavy. Classical based training. It’s not easy. At all.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

5 Likes

Beginner2Badass seems to ignore music theory and 3 modules later you get the theory explained behind what you played and it deepens your understanding a little bit more. The approach focuses on the practical aspect first and explains the theory behind it later.

While I understand that sight reading is a necessary skill for any piano player of average or above skill I don’t really understand/agree that it’s necessary to train from the start. There’s engough to worry about. Namely finger coordination and independence. But then again I am not a piano player and for sure no teacher.

3 Likes

Hello @dprkforum I learned keyboard 14 years ago, and that platform (as you probably know) is the best for music theory. You can learn all the theory for bass you’ll ever need ont he piano. All the theory is right out there on the staff. It all flows from there to all music, whether it’s voice, keyboard, or …the bass. Except in bass, I think much more emphasis is on rhythm, which is understandable. Being the weird animal that I am, I like melodic bass…and music theory! I want to arrange and compose one day.

6 Likes

I learn by demonstration. Once somebody shows how it is done, then shows the “why”, then it is easier for me. I have lots of questions regarding music and the “why”. Which is another reason why I am curious about music theory.

At the moment, I will take the technique advice first. I cannot play anything if I do not have that down. For instance, using all four fingers. Not having fingers fly off the fretboard, standing/sitting correctly, etc. Same with piano. No music theory will teach first position, etc. So yeah, you guys have a point.

6 Likes

Welcome Paul @leeky1958, glad you’re enjoying the course!

Welcome @williamtait4, good to hear you made it past Billie Jean alive. :slight_smile:

Welcome Jack @dprkforum, fellow Californian here!

3 Likes

Hi Jack! Welcome to this maladjusted community of lowlifes. :wink:

Sounds like a plan.
What Josh does is, he’s trying to find some middle ground between those who hate theory and compare it to math, rocket science and a thing that’s boring, and those who thrive on knowing the underlying fundamentals of what makes Geiger counters tick. And, first of all, he wants to make sure that his students, whatever their readiness to learn about the underlying principles is, consider making low frequency noises fun.

And then, when even the most theory-hating hooligans are actually having fun, he sneaks in bits of theory. Tiny bits at first, but before you know it, you’ll be learning about scales and intervals and rhythmic patterns and stuff.
Now, if you are a nerd like me, you will already have your appetite whetted and dived into specific music theory courses, which go deeper into the matter than Josh does – which will probably tickle your fancy more as they are less bass-specific. But B2B is a good place to start.

I’m pretty sure you’ll find your bearings!

5 Likes

Welcome @dprkforum. What part of CA you from?
I almost lost a daughter this year, but she pulled thru mostly complete, she had her right foot amputated, but I am very grateful to have her, so I sympathize very deeply for your loss.

I have a Music Man Sub series and a Schecter Diamond, plus a bunch others, but I don’t have all the recording stuff like you, so evens out.

Welcome to the forum, it’s time to finally tackle the bass, and you are in a good place for that.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @dprkforum,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Hey @juli0r,
What time is it where you are?
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @dprkforum

4 Likes

I am near Palm Springs. Nice to meet you guys.

5 Likes

Hey @dprkforum,
You live n golf heaven :grinning:
Nearly as good as the Monterey peninsula :+1:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Not too far, bout hour and a halfish from where I am on the coast in Huntington Beach area.

4 Likes

Nice to meet you too. I’m up not too far from Brian’s other golf haven in the SF Bay Area.

6 Likes

I would actually say @PamPurrs lives in golf heaven. Especially this time of year. You can play a $200 and up round of golf for $20, with A cart, unlimited range balls, AND a hamburger lunch.
Catch is you need to tee off no later then 5:45am, so you are in by 11:30, before you burst into flames.
Not much time for range balls, but the burgers are fresh off the grill.

Air conditioned Carts are nice where available.

Course Palm Desert this time of year is a little on the warm side as well.

5 Likes

Hey @DaveT,
I have played a few in SFran, Harding Park, the Presidio.
I’ve played pebble beach, spyglass, the links at Spanish bay, rancho Canada on Carmel valley way, Monterey public, all very nice.
I was a Marshall at the 2010 us open at pebble.
Played a couple in L A as well, can’t remember the names, one was right by LAX on PCH heading towards the @T_dub down in Costa Mesa area.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Hey @T_dub,
I have been out to Scottsdale, never played any golf there. Had business stuff going on in Glendale area in Phoenix, and it is HOT out there in the desert.
I drove from LA to SAN Diego then across to Phoenix and then up through Hoover dam area and into Vegas then back through Palm Springs to LA.
Nice drive👍
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

@juli0r is at CET, which is GMT +1, which is currently UTC+2 because DST.

Or… 6 hours ahead of EST.

5 Likes

That’s exactly right. So when you asked I think it was around 2:30

3 Likes

I got married in Palm Springs 8 years ago. We rode there and back to Phoenix on the bike. Beautiful place, but windy as hell, especially on a bike.

11 Likes