Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Well to be fair…:joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome. If you stick to the chanter as excessive as I did you should be able to pick up the pipe quite fast :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for the welcome :D.
I figured that out myself. Played so much the past 2 days that my lower left arm is quite sore. Seems like I’m on the right way

6 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome

6 Likes

I’m doing my best. But I think it’s like that with every instrument… Problem is playing it right :wink:

6 Likes

@JoshFossgreen can you please merge this thread with the original “Introduce yourself” thread? I don’t know how or why we now have two different threads going, but it’s confusing.

5 Likes

Thanks to the impeccable instruction we’ve all come to know and love from our dear @JoshFossgreen, I too have the knowledge and power to move threads to their more appropriate home. Thanks for the heads up, @PamPurrs

annnnd you can see it was my first go, as the first post in the thread is appearing below the rest of them.
Allow this to remain for all time and posterity as a glorious example of how we all have our learning curves.

9 Likes

Hi, I’m Joe.
I just got myself a Harley Benton PB-20 BK Bass.
Because of some reason I decided to start playing bass after guitar wasn’t really my vibe. Besides guitar and just recently bass I sing a lot and play Scottish bagpipes.

11 Likes

Absolutely! I won’t forget to enjoy the process, have fun and move at my own pace. I really appreciate your detailed response, I know exactly how to approach the course now. It certainly cleared a lot of my inhibitions. Thank you so much! :grinning:

6 Likes

welcome fellow alex! @alexgoodfriend :grin:

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Jillian. Like many of you, I have no prior bass experience. I have some guitar and percussion in my past, but was never super amazing at either. I really wanted to get back into music and found myself focusing on bass lines in every song I listened to, so at the beginning of this month I decided to go for it and buy my first bass. I’ve been doing Beginner to Badass for about two weeks now, and it’s been great. I really look forward to all the new skills I’ll be learning in this process.

10 Likes

Another Newbie… I’ve had friends in bands for years & always loved the sound of the deep end. I wanted to be a drummer as a kid in the 60’s (Dave Clark 5 anyone?) (yes, giving away my age… 67), but mom & dad said ‘Too Loud!!’… finally 50 years later & here I am. I’m a huge fan of progressive rock… Chris Squire, Colin Edwin, Geddy Lee, Bryan Beller, etc… I’m a month in and amazed at how much I’m learning. Looking forward to being in some sort of band eventually… The Porcupine Thief?

I’ll be posting my gear momentarily.

Alan

11 Likes

Welcome @PandaJoe, @jnschrager, and @aconant5!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @jnschrager & @aconant5!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @jnschrager,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @aconant5,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @jnschrager Jillian

4 Likes

Welcome @aconant5

3 Likes

Welcome @jnschrager and @aconant5

3 Likes

Hi all! I’m sure this will be WAY too long :slight_smile:. I apologize in advance, but I have a lot of pent up emotion on this subject. Like many of you, I am not the youngest guy. I just turned 55 last week.

I’ve had a lifelong love of music that started with my dad: Emerson Lake & Palmer, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Pat Metheny, Jean Luc Ponty, Weather Report, Brand X. Those were all on the turntable while I was growing up. Yet, I never picked up an instrument :frowning:. I’ll blame laziness. I never wanted to put in the work. I was always with the band, but never in the band. Then my kids came along and I saw their joy first-hand as they played horns in marching band and jazz band in school. I watched them put in the work. They still play, and I love so much watching them play, but I had a hole in my heart. I could “feel” the music, but I couldn’t make it come out of me :broken_heart:.

I have talked about picking up the bass for years, but always put it off. I don’t like to do things poorly, so the learning process scares me. My brain is also more engineer than artist, so that nagged at me … wondering if I had it in me. Maybe Covid lockdown was my final push, but a few months ago I decided enough was enough. I was going to make it happen! I enlisted help from a guy my kids went to school with. My kids put together a small jazz ensemble (including this guy on bass) to play at my second wedding and they played Weather Report’s Birdland, my #1 favorite tune. I was in heaven. I knew he would be the one to get me started, so I hit him up for advice on what to buy and how to start. I didn’t ask him to teach, just set me off on the right path.

I’m a gear nerd no matter what hobby I am exploring, so I wanted to understand how the stuff works and get “pretty good” hardware. I got a Jackson Spectra JS3Q, Fender Rumble LT-25, and the associated cables, tuner, etc. Side note, I wasn’t real impressed with the build quality on the bass. I had to re-solder some connections, tighten EVERYTHING up, and I think the hex in the end of the truss rod is no good. I can’t get the allen wrench to turn it. I’ll have a pro look at it soon.

Since buying the stuff, I have “tinkered” with it more than actually trying to learn. I was procrastinating again :neutral_face:. I poked around on YouTube and considered Scott’s Bass Lessons, but like many here have mentioned, it didn’t seem like the right fit for somebody starting at absolute zero like me. I watched some of @JoshFossgreen’s YouTube videos and he seemed to have a more relatable way of presenting things. I didn’t know that the Beginner to Badass course existed until just a few weeks ago. After reading all the reviews I could, I decided this was the path I was going to take. Happy Birthday to me! I signed up. So far I’m into Module 3, and it’s all I could have hoped for. Each lesson feels like a “win”, and I can’t believe how comprehensive it is. From “This is a bass guitar, here’s the E string” to improvising, jamming with the band, and reading music. I’ve looked ahead to the later lessons and frankly they are scary :flushed:. But based on what I have seen so far, I have no doubt I will be able to conquer those things once I get there! :+1:

Bass has always been my thing. I’m just drawn to that part of the musical spectrum. It moves me, physically and emotionally. Chris Squire, Jaco, and Percy Jones are the ones that fill me up with musical joy. I love their expressiveness. They aren’t in the background supporting the rhythm. They speak through their instrument. That’s my stretch goal :blush:. I’m so glad to have found this community.

16 Likes