Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

First post for me.

Decided to start learning bass at the tender age of 46. My wonderful wife bought me the Beginner to Badass course and I’m hoping to graduate from noob to badass in short order.

Happy to be part of the group.

9 Likes

Welcome aboard @JCWinfrey

Enjoy the course

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Stando,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @Wombat-metal,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @JCWinfrey,
You have a great wife👍
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Wombat-metal & @JCWinfrey!

4 Likes

Welcome @Stando

4 Likes

Hi all, I’m Dave. I bought my first guitar when I was 42. No prior music knowledge or ability. Took me about 5 years of rolling around in the mud (figuratively) to attain beginner status. Started playing with a couple friends a couple years ago (I was the “rhythm” guitar) and as I look back on those times, I was really just playing power chords and filling in for the missing bass.

About a year in and our one in our group of musical friends invite a drummer and guitarist to play with us. I’m clearly the inferior guitar player and it’s decided I’ll give the bass guitar sitting in the corner (an $85 Yamaha pawn shop find) a try.

Well, failed guitarist or not, I love playing the bass! It’s such a cool instrument. I even find as I improve on the bass, I’m also getting better at playing the guitar!

I found Josh on YouTube back in March and my playing has improved tenfold in a matter of a pandemic. Thanks, Josh!

11 Likes

Welcome @Chillydave. I wouldn’t say you’re a “failed guitarist”. It’s more like you’re meant to be a bass player and mistakenly tried guitar instead. Welcome to the low end.

8 Likes

MIght as well introduce myself after posting a bass in another topic :).

Hi, I’m Pieter. I’ve been intrigued by the sound of bass and bass-guitar player in bands for years, but never had the courage to spend the time and money to actually try it. In March I got a small amp and a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass (in black, of course) and found I didn’t had the natural talent I expected from actually loving the sound.

After some noodling around, I realized I needed some structure in my learning. I found the bassbuzz channel and Josh on YT to be very good and relaxing to listen to so I started b2b in May-ish.

I’ve almost finished most of the course (damn you Billy-Jean!) and am jamming along now. I’ll probably take some local classes soon to keep some structure. But boy is it nice to finally be able to play!

Cheers!

11 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @PieterLexis . . . :slight_smile:

Good choice of bass guitar, too! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

Welcome @PieterLexis

5 Likes

Welcome @Chillydave & @PieterLexis!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Chillydave,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @PieterLexis,
Sounds like you are already enjoying the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I’ve watched three of Julia’s Thomann videos on YouTube where she plays a series of basses blind and lets you guess which is which. In all three I picked the Harley Benton as one of my favorite tones. I would buy one. If you are liking it, It’s a good deal!

9 Likes

Welcome @ALCINCHNZ! I saw Percy Jones live with Brand X a few years ago in Sacramento, it was really cool to see him in person. Such a legend!

Welcome @Sp33dSnakr, nice deal on the Yamaha!

Welcome @guy.farrell, I second @JerryP’s advice about the aux in or a headphone amp!

Welcome again @Stando, good to have you!

Welcome @Wombat-metal, that sucks your music store closed down! I’m happy the ones around here seem to be doing okay.

Welcome @JCWinfrey, your wife has good taste in bass courses! :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome @Chillydave, glad I could help you make good use of this weird year!

Welcome @PieterLexis, glad you’re making good progress!

Wow, so many new people in just a few days! Welcome welcome welcome!

10 Likes

Welcome @PieterLexis and @Chillydavea

4 Likes

Agree - I am really impressed by the ones I have heard online at any rate.

5 Likes

Julia from Thomann is really awesome, kind of reminds me a bit of Josh in her cheerful and playful approach!

I think I have some kind of curvature problem in the neck of my HB as it buzzes when fretting the 7th/8th frets mainly in the E and A strings. I’ve done a bit of research and found this guide:

https://bassmagazine.com/artists/roger-sadowsky-gives-video-tutorial-on-how-to-set-up-your-bass-watch

… Problem being that my bass does not have a truss rod or at least I’m not able to locate it ; I assume this is part of being a mid to low end device.
Guess maybe I’ll have to take it to a local music store.

6 Likes