Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi. I’m form Québec, Canada. Happy New Year!

6 Likes

Welcome @saybaw273

3 Likes

Welcome @saybaw273

2 Likes

Hey there! Happy new year!

It’s my turn to step up: 44 years old, male, european.
Hack-ish attitude, computer nerd for a living, but not the usual computer nerd stereotype I guess.
Just call me vash (yet another dedicated username for something online).

I always loved music but never played - nor touched - anything except doorbells.
So, well, I could easily be another “guinea pig test subject” for BassBuzz. :slight_smile:

Long story short: as many others, I thought that aproaching to a music instrument during the pandemic would have been a nice use of the social distancing time.
I absolutely love the bass (and the double bass). I think it’s about how it sounds, something I always felt very deeply.
So I started a little research looking for some budget gear, came across Josh on youtube, found BassBuzz, then the forum, then here I am.

I really liked the no-BS approach of the reviews, the concrete yet comprensible explainations, and both the amount and the quality of informations available here in the forum.
That’s doubly important for a total noob like me, to find all this resources in one place.
So I’d like to thank @JoshFossgreen, the BassBuzz Team, @Gio and all the helpful professional players here, as well as any other community member.
Really, thank you all. <3

Now, that’s the plan:

• buy my first bass and all the basic gear I need (another post will follow on that, in the appropriate section)
  • have all the stuff home in about a week and start the B2B course
  • discover where this new adventure will lead: maybe nowhere, maybe it will be a love story, but sure it worths trying :wink:

Nice to meet you!

12 Likes

Welcome @vash!

6 Likes

This made me laugh! Welcome to the forum.

6 Likes

Welcome @vash

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @saybaw273,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @vash,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @vash!

5 Likes

Hi,I’m Markus. My bass journey started almost exactly one year ago, when the world lost Neil Peart. He wrote the lyrics to most of the songs that made high school bearable for me, and his loss affected me deeply. I decided that it was time to give music a real, honest attempt. Unlike Mr. Peart, I don’t have the inclination (or even the space) for drums, and I admire his long-time friend and band mate Geddy Lee as much, if not more. I always wanted to try bass, so three weeks before the world shut down I bought my first, an Ibanez TMB100LBK. I chose Ibanez because I’m also a Joe Satriani fan. I had read about Joe abandoning all other extracurricular activities to focus on guitar mastery after hearing about Joni Hendrix’s untimely death, and I thought it would be poetic. Also, that’s one of the relatively few left-handed models that is available and affordable. My goal was to learn enough to do a Rush cover and post it on YouTube on January 7, the anniversary of Peart’s death. I’m not going to make that, but I have re-committed to practicing more, and BassBuzz is going to be part of that commitment.

11 Likes

Welcome @MarkusFarlow

I am also a Peart fan and truly believe he was the greatest drummer to ever sit on a drum throne.

6 Likes

Welcome @MarkusFarlow

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @MarkusFarlow!

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @MarkusFarlow,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome @MarkusFarlow… Have you chosen a song for the tribute? Just curious which cover you chose… Rush is one of my fave bands, and if I’m ever competent enough to play along with them, I’ll consider it quite an accomplishment… Good luck with your journey…

7 Likes

Thanks, @skydvr! It’s definitely doing to be Subdivisions. Certainly not the most difficult Rush bass song, but it is the one that means the most to me. A few months ago I was lucky enough to find an official tab book (out of print of course, so I paid double retail value – still completely worth it!) of Rush songs covering 1975-2007, about 25 songs total. I will also consider it an accomplishment, I think we’ll both get there if we work at it! :metal: :fist_right: :fist_left: :metal:

8 Likes

Happy New Year everyone!
I’m Regina from Germany and just signed up to the course! Very excited about it! :star_struck:
I started playing bass around 6 months ago as a result of lockdown boredom. I never played an instrument before and don’t consider myself musical at all. But I have a very good friend who plays the guitar and piano and who can sing and writes her own songs. I want to be in a band with her, and I asked her what I could do, considering my lack of talent and experience. She suggested bass, cause I’d be able to contribute even as a beginner. So I ordered a bass and love it. I played around with another app for a while to get started but got a bit bored of that. Since then, I’ve mainly learned from tabs, which is alright but I really want to understand how the music works and, write my own basslines and be able to improvise and be creative. I watched quite a few of Josh’s videos on YouTube and fell in love with his style. :wink:
Our band project hasn’t really taken off yet but I’m hopeful that 2021 will be the year when we can actually get together and create some awesome tunes.
Looking forward to learning and sharing with you guys.

19 Likes

Welcome!

7 Likes

Hi @joergkutter, sure enough my HB bass does have a truss rod and it’s located just where you said at the headstock, I finally managed to get rid of the buzzing by adjusting the truss rod and the strings height at the bridge, thanks so much for the tip! :+1:t3:

8 Likes