Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome. You’re in a safe place now and we won’t hold your past against you. Some of our best friends are guitarists.

3 Likes

Welcome @lkh2859!! Good supportive group of bass players of all levels here! Enjoy!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Welcome @lkh2859! Welcome to Bassland, say hi to the puppies for me. :heart::dog:

2 Likes

Hello all!

I’m a 32, French and Canadian guy (Canadian since this year!) currently living in Montreal, and this summer I felt it would be cool to learn something new, so why not starting learning to play music?
I had a teacher that was also a bass player, and I always been interested by this instrument. So this September, I spent some time in music stores, I’ve looked a lot of Youtube lessons for beginners, and after comparing all the available offers out there (sorry: I’m an engineer :no_mouth:), here I am! With the tool, Josh’s great lessons, and also discovering an interesting community here! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve reached module 4, having a lot of fun, still struggling with my nails grabbing the strings :grimacing: (seriously this is the hardest part for me so far, even with my nails cut very short), but I’m progressing (I think).

Those lessons are great and I’m happy to find them every evening when coming home, it’s my new routine!

See you all in other topics in this great place!

11 Likes

Welcome @NicolasConstant.

3 Likes

@NicolasConstant Welcome! You’ve come to the right place.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @NicolasConstant :slight_smile:

Good luck in the course, too!

3 Likes

Welcome @NicolasConstant! This is a great place to hang out, and the course is fantastic!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @NicolasConstant, glad you’re enjoying the course so far! Keep me posted on the fingernails issue, you’re not the first to struggle with that.

2 Likes

Thanks all!
@JoshFossgreen I’ve noticed that plunking lower on the strings helps a lot, it seems practice will help to reduce this issue. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s the answer to so many little issues we have to begin with. It may not always be fun, but it does pay dividends down the road.

Have you got any recordings of you playing that demonstrates the issue you’re having? It may help to identify the cause, but even if it doesn’t it’d good to have something to look back at after a few weeks of playing. I look back at myself from only about 20 hours of practice and the difference is obvious. Very gratifying.

3 Likes

My name is Charlie, I have been studying the course for a month. I’ve wanted to learn the bass guitar since I was about 13 but never pursued it. I am 68 and retired and decided to give it a try. I had an acoustic guitar so I started using that. I found I can do the plucking and the fingering pretty well. I just purchased an electric bass as I want to pursue this. I had a friend who learned ti play the violin when he was 70, He has been an inspiration to me as are all of you. I read your stories and I know I will fulfill my goals.

11 Likes

Welcome, @grampacharlie . . . :slight_smile:

Hope you enjoy your time here, and good luck in the course!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Thanks Joe: I don’t usually enter discussion groups, preferring to go it alone. Everyone here seems very nice so I figured I’d join in.
Charlie

3 Likes

Welcome @grampacharlie ! FYI I started learning the bass on my 70th birthday. You’re never to old to learn new tricks.

2 Likes

Welcome @grampacharlie. There are some lovely people in here and plenty of support.

You’ll see that age is just a number around here.

3 Likes

Welcome @grampacharlie!

1 Like

Welcome to the course and the forum @grampacharlie! Glad to have you here and enjoy your bass journey. :guitar:

1 Like

Hi, I am new to the group. I have been trying to play bass for years - many years, by learning online by myself. I’m trying to learn about music theory and was going through my collection of instructions I’ve accumulated over the years. I have books, computer print outs, some CD’s and lots of good intentions, but I still can hardly play a song unless I have songsterr pulled up on the monitor. I don’t intend to play in a band or for anyone but myself, but I seem to be stuck and I’m losing motivation. (And don’t want to.) The part I’m stuck on is I’m learning the scales but don’t really know what to do with them. I started playing when I was 40, had no musical experience or knowledge and still don’t really.

Thanks for any advice.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @eharrell. You will find that the lessons @JoshFossgreen gives are awesome, and the people here in the forum are very helpful. I too started late in life and with very little musical skill. I’m by no means an expert bass player, but I will say that I can pick it up and play whatever I want, albeit with a great deal of effort. But the main thing is, I’m enjoying bass playing, and you will too.

4 Likes