Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi and welcome @tonyrobichaux1

4 Likes

:slight_smile: cool

1 Like

Welcome @tonyrobichaux1

4 Likes

Welcome @Pontoon, @Never2Late, @Babs, and @tonyrobichaux1!

Definitely definitely not, the built in mic is plenty good.

7 Likes

Welcome @tonyrobichaux1

3 Likes

Good On You @Never2Late

Cheers

3 Likes

Ahoy! I’m in my late twenties but feel like a terminal adolescent.
My big interests are skateboarding, pro wrestling, miniature wargaming, and retro arcade games.
Musically my main focus is punk rock and all of its micro-genres. Also big into thrash, black, and old school death metal. Ska, Indie, folk, synthwave, goth rock, bluegrass, hard dance, funk, there’s not a whole lot of ways to go wrong.
I find that ALL genres of music have something great to offer and there’s always something new to discover.

I’ve been “playing with” the bass for a couple years, and now I’m going to learn to play the bass. Starting the course tomorrow and am way stoked.

10 Likes

Welcome to the community @TheGizmoDuck!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @TheGizmoDuck,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @TheGizmoDuck

3 Likes

Welcome @TheGizmoDuck

3 Likes

Another beginner keen to play! Many years ago in school I felt I’d like to play an instrument… but it was dry and boring, formal lessons and playing drills on my own… so I gave up and abandoned that idea.

Now many years later, my 11 year old son is inspiring me to pick something up and have a go. He has been playing drum kit for a few years, and I’d love to be able to play along with him. His drum teacher is amazing and has a performance in the town square during festival week each year for all the students to get stage time playing their favourite tracks! He played Imagine Dragons “Thunder” at his primary school prize day a couple of years ago and it was fantastic!

I’ve been learning a bit about DAW’s, audio interfaces and mics in order to record him too… which has worked out well during lock-down as he has done some grades by video exam.

He recently started to learn bass and I have been trying a few you-tube lessons on his bass, but feel a structured plan will help me… and I’ve just bought a little bass ukulele and put it on a stand in the living room so we can pick up and practice at any time :slightly_smiling_face: We picked up a Zoom B1-Four pedal to use as a tuner, looper and some effects… the little ukulele sounds amazing with a big fat-tube sound!

I’m excited to get stuck into the course. No idea how this will go, but it should be fun!

14 Likes

Welcome @pauls1024 and best wishes for success for you and your son. We have a few threads on the forum regarding recording, DAIs and DAWs so there’s lots of information here.

6 Likes

Welcome @pauls1024

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @pauls1024!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @pauls1024,
enjoy the ride, its great to be able to share the opportunity with your son,
Cheers
Brian

4 Likes

Thanks, Josh.

4 Likes

Welcome @pauls1024

3 Likes

Keep updating your progress @pauls1024

Cheers

3 Likes

Hey gang, rookie to the board signing in here. I like long walks on the beach, quiet evenings…hahaha. JK.

Username I’m sure is self explanatory to at least part of this place…meaning Primus fans. I’ve played bass and drums since '98. I’m in my 30s. Play several other instruments as well…guitar, piano, banjo, mandolin, ukelele.

Kentuckian, love UK sports, Cincinnati Reds and Bengals if there are any fans on here. I also post occasionally on TalkBass, I didn’t know this forum existed actually. I was searching for a way to slow down mp3s on Spotify, just to give myself something new to do to challenge myself with some songs. Trying to change up my woodshed routine and find some inspiration.

When I started playing woodshedding to the hardest songs I could find got me results real quick. Lately during this quarantine I’ve been doing a whole lot of improv lines, focusing on runnings through scales and theory and all of that “fun” stuff. No better time than right now to hone the skillset so when things get back to normal, we’re ready to hit the ground running, right?

It occurs to me it’s been a long time since I’ve actually sat down and tried to master a song, as it is. Not just winging it, improving, soloing or running lines over it, etc. I think there’s value in that at any skill level. The past year or two I’ve really focused on ear training and just letting Spotify or Youtube just randomly play songs and I just play and go. Being able to jump in on any song in any style is also a huuuuge skill, but I find myself getting bored playing songs because I can’t fight the urge to cut loose. Gotta reign that impulse back in, as we all know it’s fun at home but in the construct of a band we all have a role to play. You’ve gotta practice “the good stuff” so when it’s time to break it out, you’re ready to go. But you’ve got to work as much at restraining that as well. The more you play and the further along in your journey you are, I think the more you appreciate the latter than the former as I’m finding out.

12 Likes