Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Glad you are here @bofhgirl!
You came to the right place, love the PINK!

6 Likes

Welcome @bofhgirl

5 Likes

@bofhgirl

Welcome to the forums and Good Luck on your Bass journey

6 Likes

@olof.glemme

And the friendliest members.

Welcome and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

6 Likes

Hi and welcome @bofhgirl Lots of exiting stuff here, you won’t get bored anymore :slightly_smiling_face: Enjoy!

5 Likes

My turn to welcome someone.
Welcome BT

6 Likes

Welcome, @Danijel

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @bofhgirl,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I’m doing it! I’m finally learning the bass, and at last I think I’ve found my instrument. Thanks, Josh! Watching Tina Weymouth on Talking Heads vids was my first a-ha moment for me as a musician (not singer/songwriter, but musician).

What I’m starting to get nervous about is the fact that I only have an acoustic-electric bass (and a cheap one at that), and I’m already finding that are certain moves I just cannot seem to pull off (slapping, popping). That aside, would I be able to take that thing onstage and manage to blend well with standard (electric) rock instruments?

How much will having an acoustic-electric limit or hinder me?

Love this program and website!
–Christian

13 Likes

Hi @kwidge. Welcome to BassBuzz!

I did the course with an inexpensive Dean Acoustic Electric. The action is higher than on an electric bass which will give you more of a workout. Slapping, popping, and if you experiment with tapping, are all a lot different. I found it to be way harder to get the response on an acoustic for those.

The piezo pickups used in acoustic/electric instruments can be weird. When I would plug it in I would have to dial all the high end out to get a sound I liked. The electronics in the model I got were notoriously bad and the newer ones are better. You’ll just have to try it out and see what works for you.

Yes, it will work. But some sounds suit different types of music better than others.

On the upside, there are a lot of beautiful sounds you can get out of an acoustic bass that you can’t duplicate with an electric bass. I really enjoyed doing the course on my acoustic and I feel like it gave me a perspective on sound that I wouldn’t have had if I had only used an electric.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @kwidge!

5 Likes

Glad you are here @kwidge!
There are preamps specially formulated for peizo pickups that I have read help upright bassists a lot. I am no exepert though. Search over on talkbass.com for some research or ask some ??? of that group as well.

Doesn’t matter what bass you play, as long as you play it!

7 Likes

I think @John_E said it best:

Welcome to the community @kwidge and enjoy the journey.

9 Likes

Welcome @kwidge

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @kwidge,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @bofhgirl. I have a Daisy Rock Daisy Bass for my daughter, it is a very well made, high quality instrument, with great feeling necks.

Welcome @kwidge

6 Likes

Thank you @T_dub! I was very surprised at the quality of the Daisy Rock when I got it. Glad there are instruments out there that encourage more girls and women to play.

6 Likes

Hello!!!

I’m a super noob. I am just beginning to learn the Bass Guitar. My dad was an amazing bassist and I can only hope that I can be a quarter as good as he was.
I’m struggling with getting my tiny lady hands to stretch but hoping they will with time.
I am super excited to learn and hope that I can catch on quickly!!!
Here’s a pic of my late dad with his favorite bass ever!!

20 Likes

Welcome aboard, @rachellelynn0531 . . . :slight_smile:

That’s an awesome pic of your Dad . .

We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Cheers
Joe

9 Likes

Welcome to the community @rachellelynn0531!

6 Likes