Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

@HannahWalker You’ve come to the right place. We’re all infected here!
Welcome aboard.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard, @HannahWalker . . . :slight_smile:

What kind of bass did you get?

Good luck in the course, too!

All best, Joe

2 Likes

It is a virtual unknown, called SX Vintage Custom Made. (I call it an Idunnoz!” However, at the pawn shop it leapt like a kitten into my hand, and it really sounds great for what it is, a vintage Fender knock-off! Surprise, surprise surprise! I went home and dreamt I was playing it all night. Now I’m gonna be the baddest ass in town!

4 Likes

Thank you so very much! I’m so excited it’s nice to have fellow enthusiasts to talk with!

2 Likes

Welcome @HannahWalker

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m excited to meet another female bassist!

4 Likes

Likewise. There’re not many of us here.

3 Likes

Coincidentally, I was in a stringed instrument shop in Edinburgh this week and discovered that brand - in fact half of their bass stock was SX of one sort or another. I didn’t have time to try them out but certainly became aware of them.

2 Likes

Wow!!
Laura Lee, bassist in Khruangbin plays one.
It must be a girl thing!!

4 Likes

I swear their drummer is the world’s most relaxed human.

4 Likes

I’d like to know how she plucks the strings with those nails. I have to keep mine trimmed down to the nubs or my notes sound dreadful.

2 Likes

Now isn’t that a strange coinkidink? They are calling you, “Try the SX! We are great rip offs and so affordable, have soooo much to recommend!:laughing::guitar::wave:

2 Likes

Well, let me tell you, I suffer from perfect pitch, in that I feel actual pain if something is untuned, dull, twangy, which is why it is so hard to begin any instrument for a reasonable price. And Name Brand means nothing when you are reaching for an affordable. My eyes glazed past the affordable Fender and I picked up the SX, even more affordable. It was a magical moment. A Thrifty Girl Thing!

3 Likes

I keep my nails just above the horizon of the pads of my fingers. They actually make great picks for a clean sound.:grin: And I can still feel the strings!

1 Like

Skip to 16:38 for Laura. The other kid’s boring anyway

2 Likes

I have those converse!:rofl::wave: My picture is old, can’t figure out how to change it, but now I have shoulder-length purple hair, and I , too, have contra-alto voice! :joy::joy::joy::guitar:

2 Likes

New user here! Looking forward to getting my first bass this Christmas (either a Sire M2 or V3 5 string, still can’t decide). Also haven’t completely ruled out Squier CV 60’s.
Wife challenged me to actually learn to play instead of just commenting on bass lines all the time.
She thought a cheap $75 would suffice :grimacing:, but some research quickly showed that you get what you pay for (mostly). I’m not one to go cheap on things, only to be disappointed and purchasing something better in short time, (Enter the Christmas timeframe :laughing:)

Either way, looking forward to learning and engaging with y’all!

7 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @LiquidSword . . . :slight_smile:

We hope you enjoy your time with us, and hope you get a bass you’ll really like!

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Hello,

I’ve had a passion for music as long as I can remember. Ever since I was 15 and saw Mike Herrera rock a Stingray, I’ve been on an inevitable journey to playing bass. Fast forward 20 years I own a SX P, SX J, Ibanez AEB10E acoustic electric, and a Epiphone Goth Thunderbird. A good amount of fun and enjoyable gear, but not much ability to go with it. Until recently, due to a number of factors, I never really had an outlet that I could use my ability even if I had it. Because of this, I have purchased a few different book courses over the years and more recently followed YouTube videos attempting to gain the skill to consider myself a "Bass Player’. Opposed to the “dabbler” I would always shamefully call myself if someone found out I owned a bass (or four…:smirk:). I have always had the best intentions of achieving my goal just out of pure love for the instrument, but…the lack of outlet to use my skill for anything other than self-gratification would always have me giving up in the end. All that to say, there is a need for a bass player at my church. I recently met with the worship leader and explained all of the above, along with those number of factors that kept me from achieving my goal these past 20 years. After chatting with him he told me that he’d love to have me as part of the team when I’m ready and able. So began my search for the right form of training for me. Over the last month or so, everything led me here. Purchased the course minutes ago and excited to finally achieve my 20 year goal of being a “Bass Player”.

Side Note: It will also be nice to receive the personal reward I’ve always told me myself I’d give myself if I ever achieve my goal. Know what it is? :wink: …that’s right! The physical catalyst of my bass playing passion. The Stingray! :heart_eyes: Well as life and wife allow. :rofl:

Anyway, excited to be part of this community and to get to know you all!

Cheers!

9 Likes

Welcome aboard, @ChrisThomason . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck in the course, too!

Cheers, Joe

1 Like