Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

@joeike, you had me at “cuts through the mix in our church band”. Precisely my problem.

Okay, I’ve just ordered two Ultra Jazz pickups. Everyone wish me luck confessing that to The Management.

4 Likes

Oh I knew exactly what you meant @olbhd .
I’m from South Queensferry originally :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, just doon the road… I’m from Dalkeith.

4 Likes

Small world @olbhd

2 Likes

Didn’t you just win them in your local Gemini Cricket contest? All you had to do was pay the shipping?

3 Likes

Hi,

I am a returning bass player, and been off from playing decades. Used to play at 90’s and were not that good at it, but still had few gig’s and lots of fun!
Then the life hit me with a sledge hammer, and I had no chance to play anymore… But now I am back! :slight_smile:
This Beginner to Badass course is really good for me, since I have no clues of notes and all other theory stuff. What I remember from learning from music books back in the day, was that those started ultra simple, and in a few pages later started to look like messages from outer space. Atleast for me. These videos, in Beginner To Badass course are just what I need!
I started to play again 2 years ago, and now I am playing a double bass in a rockabilly band, with few guys, that are same age that I am. “Old” guys having fun, basically:)
At the same time trying to improve my skills as bass player all over the genres :smiley:
My personal goal is to have knowhow to play some Iron Maiden songs. Still can’t play any with precision, but it’s work in progress!
…BTW, Any tips on where to start with Iron Maiden, easiest of the whole song to learn?

Well, Thats me. Rock on!

14 Likes

Welcome aboard, @P.Peura . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you with us!

Wish you good luck both in the course and with your band.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Welcome @P.Peura

5 Likes

Welcome @P.Peura

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @P.Peura !

5 Likes

Glad you are here @P.Peura , you are in the right place for sure!

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @P.Peura ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome @P.Peura.

7 Likes

Welcome @P.Peura .
Steve Harris is a God, and if you search youtube for the bass buzz video, Josh goes over why steve harris is a god in pretty good, josh fashion, detail, which is thorough and accurate, and fun to learn from a master like Josh.

IMHO, I would start out with some Sabbath. Geezer is a bass god IMHO and he does some amazing string crossing. And fast fingering, but it is a little easier to learn, whith dedication and hard work.
Some Metallical songs even, and slayer songs, are all pretty much jamming, and much easier to learn the bass lines then the iron maiden songs.
That said, if you absolutely want to start with Steve Harris, and Iron Maiden, and forget the rest, more power to you. You CAN do it, I KNOW YOU CAN.
Will it be easy, NO
Will it take lost of work and practice YES
Will you find yourself wanting to play it thru at 1/2 or 3/4 speed prior to playting if full speed, YES, YES YES.
There are softwares that can simplify that, and even on YouTube, you can slow the channel down so you can learn the songs at 1/3 and 3/4 speed.
Follow your dream, and if your dream takes you right to Maiden, so be it, but if it likes to stop and start with some Black Sabbath, and even Ac/DC, or … something along the lines of hard rock. Metal, and get used to some of those prior to diving into Steve Harris and Iron Maiden songs.

Just a suggestion.

And welome to the forum, glad to have youhere, and glad you are back to to playing bass again.

P.s. @JoshFossgreen did a breakdown on Hysteria by Muse, with good ways to break down hard songs, and ways to practice parts of the song, working thru the song, but leaving some of the tricky parts out, until you got comfortable with a certain point, and then move on to add a part to the play thru, and then another part thru the play thru, and in the end, you learn the song thru a bunch of different steps.
Watch that video (bass buzz video about MUSE Hysteria)
Likewise, he just did a great video, one of my favorite videos he has done yet, on one of my favorite bass players to listen to, to learn his songs, and to learn the things that he usees over and over in songs (differently, but same pentatonic scale with lots of the same notes / frets)
This video could certainly help as well.

He has also done other videos with clips of maiden songs thatt he used to practice religiously as an up and coming musician.
Some of those could help as well, and one of them is even an Iron Maiden riff that he teaches, and explains a little.

8 Likes

Being the Steve Harris fanboi that I am, I can’t believe I missed that @JoshFossgreen video. Can you tell me which one has this riff?

4 Likes

Is it this one @MC-Canadastan

https://youtu.be/dPz1MJJWcvo

4 Likes

OH, I know this one. This is the first @JoshFossgreen video that I watched and the very one that actually turned me onto B2B. I thought that @T_dub was referring to a different one that had a specific riff in it.

6 Likes

I believe he was, although I don’t know which one he meant.

4 Likes

I can’t seem to find anything different but I am relatively computer illiterate

3 Likes

I could easily be mistaken - I haven’t looked myself.

3 Likes