Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Aww man I am envious, the feeling of unboxing a new instrument is great :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @1kurosaki2. Welcome to Bass Players Anonymous. You’re in a safe place now. :wink: You’ll find a few other guitarists around here who also saw the light, but it’s a broad church and so far nobody has been excommunicated for their past. You’ll also see that there is a geographical spread that reaches around the globe. There’s a handful of us in Europe (for now) but we have agents from Alaska to Japan - the long way around.

5 Likes

According to the demographics poll, Europe is hitting around 30%. Pretty good. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome.
It’s a superb course, and yes Josh has certainly got the formula bang on :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @1kurosaki2!

2 Likes

hey! so i kinda sorta played bass. when i was a young punk rock kid. only knew 3 or 4 notes and played them as fast as i could. so i didn’t really play bass :rofl: but had a great time not playing it. but years later i hadn’t picked up my bass in a loonngg time, so i sold it on ebay. BTW, this is the sad part, because even though i sucked i had bought myself a DREAM GOD-LIKE bass, a very rare 4003 in blood red with black hardware, like this one: red
moral of the story, don’t sell your old bass. so now that i am old, i have been kicking around the idea of actually LEARNING to play this time. so i bought my course, got a new ray4 ordered and will see if i will stick with it this time.

9 Likes

That sounds like playing bass to me. Some people have made a career out of very little more than that. :grinning:

Sadly, we’ve all sold/trashed/given away things that would now be worth serious money, but I’m sure the space we freed up was filled by things that were enjoyable too. Money ain’t everything.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Ed @1kurosaki2! Post that demo when you’ve got it. :slight_smile:

Congrats @Timberfist! Fear not… it’s just bass, and it’s just for fun. :blush:

And welcome @itsratso! Sorry about that Rick… my dad sold a 60’s Jazz Bass many many years ago that we both wish was still in the family!

5 Likes

Good for you, @itsratso . . . :+1:

Wishing you the best of luck!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Hell ya! My sister has actually done A LOT of work on our family tree and it seems I am directly related to the captain of Leif Erickson’s boat that went on many raids into England (sorry my UK friends…lol). So I wear my hair this way in tribute to my ancestors. I also have Viking tattoo on my entire upper left arm.

10400262_1089547162724_3533_n%20(1)

I also remember the first time I picked up my bass… really didnt even know how to hold it. Now it is starting to feel like an extra appendage …albeit one that I still fumble around with when trying to play harder stuff with …lol

4 Likes

Welcome @itsratso… OMG that Rick is BAD ASS to the BONE… Im drooling here…

And welcome @1kurosaki2!!!

And @PeteP can I be an honorary member of the European club…I live in Germany for 6 yrs!

3 Likes

Don’t ask me; my country just decided to leave so I don’t think I get any say in the matter.

4 Likes

It matters what your heart says, @PeteP!

Welcome to the European club, @faamecanic! Where in Germany do you live??

2 Likes

I lived in a little town named Zweibrucken (near Kaiserslautern) for 3 years when I was 18-20yrs old, and before that I lived in Nuremberg when I was 7-10 yrs old.

Still have a few German friends I stay in contact with in Zwei…really want to go visit them at some point.

2 Likes

Hi all!

I’m Dana. :blush: I started playing bass in high school and played (poorly) in a couple of punk/alternative bands with friends as a teen.

I have purchased a couple more basses over the years and would play a bit here and there, but never took the time to take lessons or practice regularly.

Fast forward to many years later…my Daughter is now learning guitar and I decided to pull out my bass and play too. I forgot how much I loved playing bass and have decided to finally learn some technique and theory instead of only playing by ear.

I look forward to getting started on the beginner to badass lessons this week!

13 Likes

Welcome aboard! It will be nice to play along with your daughter I bet. I have six kids, and have tried a variety of instruments around the house, but none of them have got the music bug yet. Too busy staring at screens.

You’ll love the course. It’s really well put together. I particularly like the nice bite size chunks it is in as it keeps you going if you just squeeze one more lesson in when you can.

4 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome!

It is remarkable to see how many of us are people who used to play in their formative years, then quit, and now decide to give it another shot!

And yes, after 35+ years of not playing, I’m one of them…

1 Like

Welcome @Dkuuzzii. As you’ll see from the earlier posts, it’s a common theme that people played to some degree when at school but let it slide then rediscovered it in, erm, ‘later life’. I don’t have kids but I see why parents would become interested again once their kids pick up an instrument - I suspect those kids won’t give up as we did.

I played when I was 15/16, played very intermittently (and badly) in the years in between, then came back to it full time(ish) at around 50.

3 Likes

Hi Dana,

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like