Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I stopped playing trumpet 30+ years ago, and I was pretty good (for a kid). I was a sailor (reactor mechanic, Enterprise), and I’m a helicopter pilot (though not currently flying). These days I repair MRI and CAT Scanners.

My divorce is still recent, and I suppose this is part of me discovering who I am. I hike a lot (lost 50 lbs, kept it off 3 years), and eat significantly healthier (sorry not sorry, not vegan) than during The Dark Times. I’m planning on adding yoga and Brazilian jiu-jitsu to my routine in the near future. And I read a lot of classical western philosophy.

I don’t really intend to join a band. This is really more for fun, and being a well-rounded person. Besides, I’m an American, and guns and rock & roll are our culture! And backyard BBQs lol!

9 Likes

Welcome to all new members…

2 Likes

Hard to believe, there have been 1,200 introductions and welcomes on this thread.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Kelly :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing Bass (let me re-phrase) I have owned a bass for about 10 years. I can read tabs and play along to some songs (thanks to Rocksmith on the PS4). I can pick it up and “get by” but let’s be honest nothing Badassery.

I was interested in learning more theory with the aim of being able to just pick it up and jam and to “just know” where to go next on the fretboard. Was having a hard time finding a teacher that didn’t bore me with hours of talking and not much playing, then I stumbled across Josh on Youtube, and a match in heaven was made! Everything suddenly made sense, I love the blues, and the blues box tutorial had me hooked. Having a great time so far on the course.

I also love to play the drums and the same three notes over and over on guitar… and have a hobby of building cigar box guitars and ukuleles. I have just started my first bass build, deets below for those interested.

Gear rundown:
Fender P-Bass (Main)
Ibanez SDGR (First bass I ever owned)
Ibanez Acoustic (for the campfire sessions)
'68 Fender Telecaster Bass replica in pink paisley (Currently building) <- I will post more on this build as I go if anyone is interested? The body is being custom made at the moment.
Orange Crush 100 BXT Amp & Fender Bassman Pedal (my fav combo of sound)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. Have a FANTASTIC day guys! And thanks for reading :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Welcome @Smelly_Kelly!

There is at least one other person that builds cigar box guitars and quite a few people that work on their own stuff. If you start a new topic about that bass build, I expect it will get a lot of attention. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome @Hondo and @Smelly_Kelly!

:joy::joy::rofl:. Right-On!!!

2 Likes

YES @eric.kiser !! That would be a cool thread!

1 Like

Welcome! I know you don’t intend to join a band, but I highly recommend playing with others whenever you can. It will really open things up for you. And bassists are always in demand.

1 Like

@JT thanks! I’m trying to manage my expectations lol! But… My best friend plays guitar (for 30 years) and kind of got me down this path. He’s a big Clapton fan (me too). Especially the Cream, and Derek & the Dominos time period. And we like that sound.

He’s already putting a band together, and has a bassist. And that dude’s wife? Layla, and she wants to sing Blues and Country. Sweetie, we call that Rock & Roll!

So maybe I’ll get to jam along… But I feel confident in saying that I should wait longer than a week of playing first… Hardcore pace or not, I need to finish Josh’s course first. At least

2 Likes

Depends on who you play with and their level and attitude towards beginners. I know plenty of people who are happy to play with anyone, especially a bassist! I personally play with two other learners every two weeks for two hours. It helps a lot. Not a requirement by any means though.

1 Like

Hi
I just decided to start learning the Bass about 3 weeks ago or so , i had a Brownsville NY bass given to me years ago and it sat in my rack . i play guitar and started using reaper DAW , and wanted to widen and experiment , i got strings and hit youtube , and ran across a lesson video, which led me to the web page ,and i signed up,
i am really happy i did, ive been here every day and moving along , just form the short time i been here , i have found songs to play and played a few with the bass and my guitar and messed with it in the DAW.
im gettin ready to hit the Big 57 , and even tho i wish i started sooner, im glad i started at all. The instructor is really good , i cant believe how much i am learning and how much it improved my guitar side also, and a BONUS " i didnt know that music reading was a option here , i have always wanted and wished i could read music, i tried a few times but i guess it wasnt explained right cause i felt like it was way over my ability, after the intro into music reading , i actually get it, and am so pumped because i know i will do it finally, the explanation and approach was like , light bulb on ! i ended up buying a new bass because the browsville isnt a great bass and i know i needed something decent to make it better for me , i bought a blue specter 4 string , about 600$ and was scared to death to tell my wife , cause she sees all the stuff i bought for the guitar , but im alive , it went well .
she actually said it sounds really good and sees me really getting it , so PHEW !
till the next purchase . (Bass Amp)
anyhow thats me , im dedicated to becoming a bassist , and old enough to see it through , glad to be here and look forward to making some friends here , be safe everyone and practice on .

11 Likes

Welcome to the community @PeeZee63!
Jerry

2 Likes

That’s true. I’m sure I will… In my own time. I think some things I’m doing arguably wrong… But they work for me.

I completely get the notion that you need to hold the instrument to make sure it feels good in your hands, and hear it to make sure you like the sound, and to test out many options before buying… I didn’t.

I bought the Gibson online, without seeing, holding, or hearing any bass firsthand. I don’t have any preconceived notions of how it should feel, and I would get analysis paralysis if I went window shopping. I don’t really have a specific sound in my head, and my hearing is suspect anyway.

Sometimes ya just gotta ready, fire, aim.

So yeah, once I progress a little further, I’ll go jam with others and see what happens

2 Likes

SOOOO many new joiners since my last post… let me just say WELCOME to all! You have found a great place to chat and a great set up lessons to take your minds off of all the dark stuff happening in the world today.

Loose yourself in music and forget the rest!!

3 Likes

90088252_2906431422748707_3397542667003887616_n

5 Likes

Yay, more Reaper users!

Your Specter looks great. I am a big fan of Specter and Warwick.

1 Like

I bought reaper and been learning it , at 1st i was lost but slowly getting it , i bought a focus rite scarlett 2 but then bought a behringer 4 channel input and a behringher 12 or 14 channel board ,
I am really enjoying playing tracks and then over with the bass and guitar parts , its been challenging , but a fun learning time , im really excited to be able to see progress .

3 Likes

@howard how does Reaper compare to Audacity? Have you tried them both? Advantages, disadvantages? Pros and cons?
I don’t mind spending money for something better or easier to use.

1 Like

If you want to spend money, buy a Mac and get Logic Pro. :upside_down_face:

I’ve not tried the Windows stuff, but I really like Garage Band and Logic Pro.

Not seriously expecting anyone to buy a Mac just for that though… But it’s a good excuse if you want one!

1 Like