Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hey guys. 45 yo complete musical newbie here (apart from saxophone in HS a million years ago) but I just impulse bought a bass and kit from Craigslist, signed up for the B2B course, and I’m 2 lessons in.

I’m retiring from the military this year (and getting a job in the “real world” for the first time… but I know I’m going to have some extra time on my hands compared to what I’m used to. I love music (jazz, blues, rock, funk, etc)… and it turns out the stuff I love all has the same thing in common: awesome bass lines. Took me about 25 years to deduce that. I’m slow sometimes. My taste is eclectic but the common thread is definitely bass… Why else would I be so enamored of Superstition and Sir Duke and also love Sara Bareilles’s left hand on Love Song? And speaking of hands, mine are apparently tiny and inflexible, so I’m trying not to get frustrated already!

I think I may have gotten a great deal on that Craigslist bass setup… in fact so good I’m wondering if the guy I got it from is doing alright?.. I don’t want to take advantage. I’ll post the details in the gear forum and get your collective take on it.

On to lesson 3…

Ken

13 Likes

Welcome, @KenKnight . . . :slight_smile:

Glad you’re here with us and good luck in the course!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome @KenKnight. Be sure to post a pic of your bass on the “ show us your basses” thread, we would love to see it.
Good luck in your journey, I am currently on Module 13, lesson 3. I am having so much fun with this. Hope you doe same.

2 Likes

Welcome @KenKnight

3 Likes

… welcome!

I saw your post in the Gear forum, and replied to it. Management summary: you worry too much! :grin:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @KenKnight!

3 Likes

Well, thanks to the corona virus the chickenbacker never happened so I ended up getting a real one. But before that I got hold of a beautiful 1962 reissue P bass.

10 Likes

Those are some great basses, @Browndog . . . :slight_smile: :+1:

Nothing like the real thing! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Bummer, hate having to settle for the real thing :wink:

There is one for sale on Let Go near me, but way more then I would be willing to spend, so I will just admire yours from time to time.

4 Likes

Thanks for such a thorough reply. I Know You Rider is a great recommendation, thanks for the tips. I haven’t really practiced trying to learn songs just based on charts, but I keep seeing ads for a greatful dead/JGB chart book that I’m tempted to buy and try to learn from.

1 Like

Forgot to mention Fluffhead if you’re looking Phish. Brings me back to some good days.

2 Likes

Hello. The last time I played the bass was thirty years ago in an extremely sloppy basement band that was never let out of the basement, for the overall benefit of society. Social distancing has led me to search for an indoor hobby, as my usual activity of coaching softball is verboten. Now I’m going to try to learn how to play the right way when I’m not allowed to leave my house for the benefit of society. What goes around comes around, I guess.

I’m excited to get back into it. We’ll see if my family members feel the same way in a few weeks. I am waiting for my bass to arrive in the mail, which I hope will be sometime this month, given the COVID-19 delays. Ive been checking out @JoshFossgreen lessons online to have at least some foundation of knowledge before I dive into the lessons with an actual instrument to play.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum @JimP, where you’ll find a wealth of information, support, and good cheer from your fellow bad ass bassists. And welcome back to bass playing!

1 Like

I just learned Jesus Just Left Chicago, which is real easy, and fun to play along with both ZZ Top and Phish.

3 Likes

Welcome @JimP! There are a great group of people here. Enjoy your lessons.

2 Likes

Welcome, @JimP

I started out the same way (decades ago) in a basement . . . :wink:

Hope your bass gets to where you are soon!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome to the foume @JimP, hope you get your bass soon!

2 Likes

Welcome @Jamietashi!

Very cool!

Welcome @KenKnight, glad you finally figured out that the bass was calling to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, My name is Yemi an Engineer from Nigeria. A Bass enthusiast. I hope to learn as much as i can from being a beginner to Pro.
Thank you

8 Likes

Welcome, @yemiadeoye1 . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you with us!

2 Likes