Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

49 year old guy who’s pretended to be okay on the guitar for too long and has realised he never really learned anything the right way. Anyway, I’ve become acutely aware that when I listen to music, I follow the bassline more than anything else. Hence me wanting to give bass a go and do things properly now. I really hope this course can move me up through the gears.

12 Likes

Welcome @Isa_B

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @gragil1 and @Isa_B!

3 Likes

@gragil1 Welcome!

I will revisit her sometime soon. Right now my pinky struggles with the constant fifth/otave shape. I am already curious how well it will go down when I return to Billie Jean.

Welcome @Isa_B - Good lock with the course! I am in module 12 now and still think it’s an awesome course.

5 Likes

Welcome buddy,

Never to old to start bass.

I turn 60 next month and always wanted to play so here I am.

Lots of good people to help you along on here.

So come along for the ride.

Rory

6 Likes

Welcome @Isa_B. You and I are very similar except at 48, I am a youngster next to you.
I pretended to play guitar as well, never really learning more then the songs I wanted to play, or the songs my buddies in our so called band wanted.
But I gave that up in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when the kids came.
Now, on disability, in rehab, I picked up bass because I always wanted to play bass (my music idols as a kid, before picking up guitar cuz of dime bag, and my buddy already was playing bass, were all bass players) and everybody here was playing guitar and I wanted something different. I picked up my first bass ( yes, MBS is a real thing) about a month before Covid, but the lockdown just gave me a little more time to learn.
Anyway, welcome to BassBuzz, it’s a great, welcoming community.

5 Likes

Graeme welcome aboard, nice to have another Scottish bass player on the forum.
I’m in Ayrshire. @cragil1
Jamie :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :guitar:

6 Likes

Ah a fellow Scotsman :+1:
I left the sunny shores of South Queensferry over 5 years ago for sunnier parts .
Welcome

5 Likes

I was in Africa 20yrs glad tae be hame. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I can understand that but I’m settled for the first time in a long time of being a nomad lol :joy:
Still miss tatties and haggis though :flushed:

5 Likes

Mac I’m mair intae traditional Scottish cooking Curried Mince n Tatties :rofl:
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:
@mac

6 Likes

Hey - good to hear from you - Ayrshire here too! Tarbolton to be exact :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wish I had - with the weather we have just had!

5 Likes

Graeme, that’s just up the road. We are just outside Dalmellington, We bought the old office buildings at Dunaskin. When this is over we can maybe do a meet up and get rid of Billie Jean :rofl:

4 Likes

So I can ask one of you two when I read another Terry Pratchett with Nac Mac Feegle in it and I don’t understand what they’re saying?

(Nac Mac Feegle / Wee Free Men have a heavy scottish accent in the discworld so much that I often read the sentence 5 times and not understand what it’s about.
Crivens!)

5 Likes

Och aye ye canny tak whit’s said aboot oor brogue. Fit wid ye ken fur? :rofl:

Jamie

7 Likes

Exactly like that!

I haven’t got an example on the top of my head soooo - the way of talking reminds me personally more about nac mac feegle than scottsmen. I’m a huge discworld fan.

6 Likes

Definitely!

5 Likes

Loved those wee guys!

6 Likes

Feel free to ask for a translation :wink:

6 Likes