Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome aboard, @skerpelman . . . :+1:

You’re not alone! Lots of folks are here due to the pandemic. . . .

Glad to have you with us!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @skerpelman

3 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks Joe!

5 Likes

Remember not to overthink things, ok? . . . . :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome @skerpelman!

A Variax? That’s interesting. I think you are the first person on our small forum to have one.

You can post a picture here… Show Us Your Basses if you want to share.

4 Likes

Hello everyone :smiley:
My name is Sam and I’ve been a musician for close to a hundred years, actually 36 years but seems like a hundred years worth of memories. All good, even the not so good ones because any experience has some sort of silver lining for growth.

A little bit about me:

• I started playing drums as my first instrument at 15 after seeing Eric Carr’s drum solo at my first concert, KISS, and played for 10yrs in a few san diego based punk rock bands. Recorded on 3 albums and toured the US a few times.

• Moved from drums to singer. I had already been writing the lyrics for a few of the bands I was in. I still sing for my main band, but wanted to move to bass for a side band we’re starting. I played guitar self taught for a few years.

• I draw, horribly, but still enjoy drawing.

• As probably evident in my intro, I’m a silver lining kinda person who tries see the possible good that can come out of any situation.

• I’m looking very forward to this course and hopefully getting to know you all. Being a self taught guitarist I skipped learning proper technique. That’s what I’m hoping to gain by starting at the basics through to a badass with this course for learning bass.

:smiley:

11 Likes

Welcome to our forum @samtwasteaway. You have a very interesting story leading up to joining BassBuzz.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @samtwasteaway . . . hope you enjoy the course!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Sure I just posted a picture. It models classic Basses. I really like it although I’m just learning. Lots of sounds possible out of one instrument.

3 Likes

Another noob here who is slowly working his way through the course. Early in my journey I assembled two Fret Wire bass kits to see what makes a bass sound the way it does. It also made understanding the set up videos make more sense.

I have no aspirations to do anything other than amuse myself with my bass time. My short term goal is to become proficient with tabs for some of my favorite Rock and Roll songs.

Rock on fellow bass heads!

5 Likes

Welcome Bryant @bcaruthers04, all our basses are out of the closet here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome @SassySky, hope you enjoy the course and keep finding motivation as you go!

Welcome @chrisshorb, and I agree, bass players should know extra theory. That way when your guitarist is stumbling over explaining something to the drummer, you can translate. :nerd_face:

Welcome to the forum @smurillo, glad you’re enjoying the course!

Welcome Saul @skerpelman! Maybe instead of saying your’e retired you can say you’ve changed careers to bass shredding. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Sam @samtwasteaway, hope you dig the course, curious to hear how it goes as as someone coming in with so much experience!

Welcome @GR001! I should try building one of those bass kits someday, I’ve been very hands off with gear over the years for the most part.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @samtwasteaway,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @skerpelman,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome @skerpelman!
Saul. Lawyer. How many references to better call Saul did/do you have to endure?

Welcome @samtwasteaway!
Nice. Someone with vocals experience. I started doing vocal exercises recently.

Welcome @GR001!
Those bass kits sound interesting.
I would not be surprised if “I want to read tabs” changes to “I want to read sheet music” during the course. It happened to me at least. Enjoy and rock on!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @skerpelman! I’m also 65 and a big Beatles fan as well.
Have a good time!

3 Likes

Welcome @samtwasteaway!

4 Likes

It is my hope that happens to most of the people here. I used tab myself when I went through the course. It’s a great way to learn; but eventually taking off those “training wheels” and actually reading music was a glorious thing.

6 Likes

It’s still at a “I want to” stage for me but I was a little bit annoyed that in the first modules (in order to not confuse students) the sheet music on top of the tab was missing.
To be honest for the lessons in the later stage I kind of mixed the information. I took the fret numbers from tabs but still looked at the note for the length.

5 Likes

Tambourine!

4 Likes