Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hopefully! Now I have identified 2 of my habits; the position of the thumb (should be in the middle of the neck, not wrapping the top of fretboard edge), and not alternating the plucking fingers. Working towards that!

Doot doot doot doot doot doot doot do-do doot doot doot psycho killer!

6 Likes

Huh. Somehow didn’t see your introduction post. Welcome @seabear

What was it Gio always says? The first step to fixing your mistakes is awareness? Something like that. Good job!

I am not sure why and if there’s a reason for it at all but I’ve also seen slap players slap high on the fretboard. But it hurts my thumb to land on the fretboard so it’s probably still best to keep it between fretboard and pickup.

There are already multiple threads about practice time and schedule. Josh will also talk about it in the end of the course. Very much boiled down:

• practice often not (necessarily) long
  • make practicing easy to access (bass reachable, amp plugged in)
  • don’t bother too much with technical exercises - 10-15min
  • play things you enjoy - have fun

In your case I would focus on finishing the course because it will provide everything you listed. You can still search for practice time on the forum (looking glass top right - on mobile you need to be in landscape mode to see it).

4 Likes

Thank you for noticing!

Oh no. I thought that was the way to do it!

The dreaded search button, I hereby swear that I will do my best to make full use of that button :joy: I have the bass on my desk, just next to the laptop which I use to study the lessons. Two questions; 1) do I wanna go down HARD on myself during self-practice, or just keep to your first point (practice often, not necessarily long)? 2) when do I practice, after each lesson or each module?

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, @seabear . . . :slight_smile:

We have a number of existing topics and threads with a great deal of information, so don’t be afraid to use the search function.

See you around the Forums and good luck in the course!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Welcome @sincityxingyi!

1 Like

Free coding is a thing!

Pretty cool! I also have been working on some tools during the quarantine. It’s called fretful, it’s intended to be a public npm Vue package to be used by other developers in their projects. It can be used in multiple contexts, including music courses and chord charts. I’ll consider doing a React version also. Eventually, I’d like to have a demo page which any stringed instrument player can use to study note names, scales, chords, etc.

You can check the WiP at fretful.netlify.app

3 Likes

Just had a look at what vue even is here. As said - not a frontend developer. I noticed your links but the comparison was easier to grasp for me. Looks interesting but I guess I will keep working with angular professionally. It’s a SCRUMM team so even though my focus is not frontend and most of the team are better at it it doesn’t mean I never touch frontend. Unlikely that we’ll switch frameworks. Also we’re quite keen on clean code and unit testing even in the frontend.

Woah! Tasty!
Even though it’s a WiP I consider adding it into my workout web app. Seems to be possible to integrate vue into an angular project.

3 Likes

That’s the beauty of vue :wink:. You can include it fairly easily everywhere, including traditional html + css + js development.

I feel I’m deviating from the purpose of this thread and I get quite excited and talkative with subjects i’m interested in. Better stop while we’re ahead :joy:

4 Likes

Ive been a member I think since Feb but I keep forgetting to do this lol. Hi guys my name is Teddy. Born and raised in South Side Chicago and currently living in Las Vegas.

I am a die hard music head of all genres with Hip Hop and Metal being the forefront. I Just got my bass in Jan and things are coming along awesome thanks to you guys. My goal is to write my own music and be able to play it on all the instruments I want on the songs.

9 Likes

Welcome, Teddy @hoodz91 . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you with us!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @hoodz91!

2 Likes

Welcome @hoodz91. I too was born and raised on the south side of Chicago (63rd and Pulaski). We should get on well :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Welcome @hoodz91!
It seems that the phrase “born and raised” is enough for my brain to trigger starting the fresh prince of bel air song in my head.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @hoodz91,
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Guess I’ll do things the right way and introduce myself instead of just continuing to jump in on discussions like I’ve always been here.

My name DB. I live in gorgeous Salt Lake City, UT. My family is from Norther Ireland and I’m 3rd generation born here.

I played clarinet and alto sax in middle school and then moved on to timpani and drum kit. Rhythm has always been fascinating to me in the sense that I feel we are just now seeing how amazing and diverse the instrument really is.

I’ve been playing about 3 weeks now and I truly love my bass and the time we spend together. Thankfully, so does my wife (she knows there is no competition).

I truly hope to collaborate with as many of you as possible. I don’t know what my intentions are for when I become a @PamPurrs or @JoshFossgreen. I just know I want to make bass music that causes skulls to cave and eyeballs to implode.

Love and rot,

9 Likes

Welcome @101 and thank you for the nice introduction. I’m extremely flattered to be mentioned in the same sentence as Josh, but geez there are so many people here much better than me. Thank you for that mention though, and I can only hope to be an inspiration for you.

5 Likes

Guess it all depends on how you measure greatness? You were very kind to me from the get go so It’s no thing to mention you alongside the bro who is teaching me how to reach the passion of my life. I know this place is to the gills and guts with wonderful people that I have yet to meet. If it makes you feel better, I’ll mention them all by name as they impact my life :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It would have gone unnoticed by me!

Welcome @101!
Always nice to have new active members. I love the diversity of the community here. A bit of everything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks much. You were one of the first to welcome me and I would truly be remiss if I didn’t shout you out as well.

Let it be known that our dear friend @juli0r is kick ass. Huzzah!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @101,
Enjoy the ride
Cheers Brian

3 Likes