Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

@Jamietashi - just got back from the guitar shop. The tech is just going to give it a once-over to get things on an even keel. He noticed the truss rod was a little off and string height was too high. A few other things that went over my head. He also looked at the cracks and the bashed-in bottom edge and said it adds “character.” I have to agree!

I’ve seen videos of Willie Nelson’s guitar. And the luthier that keeps that old Martin going. Wow. This guy JJ Cale, same thing, although I think Willie’s guitar at least has a back on it! lol

3 Likes

Wait, :stop_sign:
Who said this first???

That wanker @tdub said it first I think.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Thank the guy when you go in for professionally confirming my original assessment.
Haha

5 Likes

I surrender! LOL

As a brass player, I can say with certainty that dents, bashed-in bows, broken joints (no, we ain’t talkin’ the cannabis variety), and other signs of use/abuse can lead to only a certain amount of “character.” The rest of it isn’t character nearly as much as it’s a problem to overcome. I have enough problems without trying to overcome an instrument’s scars and tattoos.

True story - I was in the Quasimodo jazz club in West Berlin (probably 1985 or so) listening to trumpeter Lew Soloff (of BS&T fame). He was playing what looked to me like a New York Bach, so in between sets I called out to him (it’s a small club) and asked him if he was playing on a NY Bach. He nodded his head and I replied, “Yeah, I could see that and hear it too.” The amount of air leaking around his valves was actually audible (but I didn’t say that).

Lew would also say that his trumpet had “character.”

Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Strat also looked very well-worn. I think his brother wound up with it.

3 Likes

Could you do more reviews on bass gear? Bass pedals I guess would be a nice addition. I just bought a ZOOM B3n which I find amazing but I would like to learn more about pedals overall being a newbie still I’m sure I’m missing out on a lot. In the future perhaps also do a thing on recording gear and options for people to record and maybe even mix a little. Thanks, teach.

7 Likes

Hey there Josh and crew. I recently discovered your lessons on YouTube and really like the teaching style. I have been playing bass since I was 16 - played for 10+ years until I had to move overseas for work - but I finally got the amp fixed and have been back at it the last few months! Feels great to groove again. I play a Warwick bubinga corvette 4-string.

I would consider myself fairly advanced, so I’m wondering if it is still worth it to get into the Beginner to Badass lessons - if so, where should I start? Is there a piece you might use as a measuring stick?

Thanks!
Dave

7 Likes

Welcome to the B2B forum :slightly_smiling_face:
You can find some information on what to expect in the lessons under this topic:

Some of the lessons are available on YT, though only a small part of them :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome @cratond!

3 Likes

Bassbuzz made a video to check if you are an intermediate player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpzoGSshYQ
If you are (relatively) comfortable with all topics mentioned I don’t think Beginner2Badass is for you. It might be nice to have the lessons as reference and things you can practice with backing tracks but overall if you are not a beginner and feel comfortable with everything mentioned in the video I don’t think it would be of much value to you.

There is a slap module in the course but if that’s your focus another source might be more useful as it is more of a sidenote in the course as a single module. Overall it’s more to get the basic technique, plucking, rythm and note reading right.

As far as I understand at least the idea exists for the bassbuzz team to make intermediate courses. There is also a suggestion thread here what we want to see in the next course but I think it was asked to keep it to people who completed the course.

Oh and welcome to the community of course! Lost that thought in the other topic :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks - this and the list above from @Krescht were really helpful. After seeing some of Josh’s advanced scale practice (“The Beast”) on his channel, I would love to see an advanced course in this style. I can find great individual exercises or licks but then get stuck on the next “logical” progression that follows the deliberate practice model to master something new and challenging, without jumping straight to Classical Thump.

3 Likes

I recently upgraded to the Zoom B3n from the Zoom BiX and love it (I loved the B1X also). I really don’t see any need for me to add any additional pedals, but you never know…

3 Likes

hello my name is Justin darden I live in Texas and im not playing bass very long but trying to get better at it so if anyone can tell me what to do to be better I will listen to whatever you tell me thank you Justin

8 Likes

Welcome aboard @cratond,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @creepymcpeepers!
As I saw your cover I am sure you are more advanced in your skill than I am so I would not feel comfortable giving you tips apart from repeating those things Josh tells you in the course anyway.

3 Likes

The shortest, most direct path to fulfilling that desire is called From Beginner To Badass.

Trust me – it’s awesome.

Yours,
a generally grumpy, but happy customer. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Second what @peterhuppertz. B2B is the way forward and certainly worth every cent :+1:

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to play an instrument but am not musical. I have wanted to play bass for about 30 years . I started off with a cheap ukulele and although managed a few sounds I realised that although I’m right handed, I’d find it easier with a left handed instrument. Anyway, long story short -drunk me bought sober me a bass a few days ago. So here I am lol. And a left handed instrument is easier!
Non musical stuff - I love 8 bit computer games, and cats. Looking forward to being badass. Or badarse as it is over ere.

13 Likes

Welcome @8-BitRach!

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @8-BitRach,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @8-BitRach!
You mentioned the bass but did you also buy the Beginner2Badass course? I can only recommend it! I started out as someone who sees himself non-musical and the course honestly transformed me to a certain degree :wink: A lot of music “talent” is training.

5 Likes

Welcome @8-BitRach
The B2B course is the way to go .

6 Likes