Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the community @SuarezInk!

6 Likes

@SuarezInk welcome to the forum.
Jamie

5 Likes

Welcome @santymolina, hope you dig the course!

Welcome @SuarezInk, glad you’re enjoying the course!

5 Likes

Hi all! I’m an artist Cherelle based in London. I’ve been given a cheap bass to learn on and so whilst I’ve been stuck in lockdown here I set myself the task of getting to learn the basics and have been LOVING the course. I’m now on module 12 and can proudly say I have developed a callous on my index finger to boot! I used to play the Cello a long time ago so its been nice making links with all that old knowledge but I’m still getting to grips with the fret board and matching up the fingering with the notation so any tips or exercises are really welcome.

xo

12 Likes

Welcome!

7 Likes

Welcome @cocoameno!

1. Maybe still too early as you are occupied with the course but I just have to mention this challenge to an ex-cello player: July 2020 Bassbuzz Challenge
  2. Is Cello that much different? I assumed that the distances for intonations are different but the basic idea should still apply. You’re the (ex-)cellist though so I don’t know. Could you maybe explain a little bit more what it is that’s troubling you? Because I get the impression that you are just a little bit frustrated that sight reading isn’t going well yet but you could mean something else.
6 Likes

Welcome @cocoameno

3 Likes

@cocoameno welcome aboard Cherelle, time for a new bass to celebrate module 12?
Jamie

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @cocoameno!

3 Likes

Hahaha I have definitely been eyeing up a tonne on ebay. perhaps I’ll set an alert today. the action on my current one is so terrible but i don’t want to get ahead of myself.

3 Likes

Welcome @cocoameno

4 Likes

@cocoameno I went from a P bass to an Ibanez SR300. It’s like night and day. Slim fast neck that is so slick. Wish I had started out with it. Try as many as you can, your ready for an upgrade, you know that you deserve it. :slight_smile:
Jamie

5 Likes

I understand that. I still have a little bit of a guilty conscience for my purchase during/at the end of the course but I am soooo happy with my new bass. It plays so much nicer than the other one.
I understand not wanting to spend money immediately but if you feel like you will continue to play bass I would do it rather sooner than later.

So far for the purchase. Now for the action - Did you bring your bass to a professional for a setup? I personally would recommend doing a setup yourself so you can chose the little nuances for your play but “horrible action” seems to be fixable. Just look on youtube or here in the forum for “setup” (search function: looking glass in top right corner, only visible in landscape on mobile). If you want to do a setup but are still insecure or have doubts just ask the friendly folk here for help :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@juli0r thanks I’ll check out the challenge for sure! Cello’s still in the bass clef but slightly higher register than bass guitar- ADGC. I just need to practice and focus on memorising the fretboard so I know where ALL of the notes are in conjunction with the notation so I can sight read. I’m just impatient even though I know it takes time to get there.

5 Likes

If I’m honest I think its probably like trying to polish a turd and the whole bass is a bit crappy. I attempted at sorting the action with a mate of mine which made a bit of difference. Ideally I’d get a pro to sort the whole set up but my local place won’t accept any instruments for hygiene reasons. I’ll just have to be patient and wait a few weeks until they open up servicing instruments again, which is fine. xo

5 Likes

Post up a picture of your bass in the Show us your bass thread if you like :wink:
I’m an Ibanez player too btw. As Jamie has said the neck on them is a real plus :+1:

6 Likes

Welcome @cocoameno!

7 Likes

Welcome @cocoameno,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

@cocoameno

Welcome fellow uk’er!

Glad you’re enjoying the course. You’ll have no fingers left in no time! :grinning:

6 Likes

Hey Josh, my name is Arnav and I have an acoustic bass

8 Likes