Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

@emccabe375 Welcome

1 Like

Welcome Patricia @ptreez! Glad you’re enjoying the course. :slight_smile:

Welcome Eddy @emccabe375! I’m interested to hear what nuggets you get out of the course as someone who’s already played some gigs, please share as you get further along! Good luck with the bad habits, they can be tenacious. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Greetings to you all from northeast Ohio.

Joined up a week ago 60 something here and sort of new to bass, been hacking away on 6 string guitar since my early 40’s, and now hacking on bass …not the best player on either, but I have fun.
Took a few lessons on bass, the but teacher was in his 20’s and was more fascinated by stories of the bands I grew up on in the 70’s. Cool guy, learned a few things but that only went so far. Now mainly play by ear, tab and a few you tube vids. Played with some friends but the drummer moved out of state, so thats done and have no guts to play at local jam sessions, so I mainly play for my cats.

Have some interest to try Josh’s lessons and learn more detailed things but not even sure I could dedicate myself to a regimented time to do, I tend to drift, so playing is basically a light hobby for me.

I have a Fender Jazz reissue '75 and Squier Matt Freeman P bass plus a Rumble 100 that stays mainly low in the volume category ( why I bought that, I’ve no clue:roll_eyes:)

I enjoy reading of other peoples experiences with the bass here, way better then on Talk Bass, too many posts and threads there and bad attitudes from many. I had my account deleted after one week, i felt it was that bad.

Anyway, the ramble will come to an end here. I mainly read but may occasionally drop something to add to the mix.

Oh, and “Frisk Cat” was the name of a hoagie from a, now closed, sub shop in a neighboring city, it was fantastic!!

Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @Frisk_Cat . . . :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time here! :wink:

All best, Joe

Welcome @Frisk_Cat! I hear you about the trouble of finding a regimented time to practice, I’ve struggled with that myself plenty, even as a professional musician. Good luck!

@Frisk_Cat Welcome to the BassBuzz forums!

We have some people that started with something smaller than the Rumble 100 and then upgraded to the Rumble 100 after finishing the course and were glad they did. Here is one of those discussions… Rumble 100

I have some health issues and I had some of the same concerns. After I watched some of Josh’s YoutTube videos I was pretty sure I wanted him as a teacher. Then I read here on the forum about other peoples experiences. Finally, it came down to getting lifetime access so I could move at my own pace and the 1 year money back guarantee because I didn’t want to get burned.

Now that I’m over half way through the course, I think it was the best money and time I’ve ever spent on music.

Good luck @Frisk_Cat. Even if you don’t do the course you are still welcome to read and participate on the forums. Glad to have you.

4 Likes

Thanks to to all for the welcome. There are merits to having a course with lifetime access, I will think on it. First off though, a snow shovel is the instrument of the morning. Stupid snow. :disappointed:

5 Likes

Hi @Frisk_Cat and welcome to the forum
We are a friendly bunch here on the BassBuzz forum. No bad attitudes here

3 Likes

Welcome to one of the friendliest forums around: diversity & consideration in abundance.

I’m terrible at sticking to timetable, yet I also work better with a routine: how mad is that? What it means for me is that I set a schedule of sorts and follow it for a while, then either take a break or change the routine., and off I go again.

Don’t be put off by the 30, 60 and 90 timetables; they’re are just suggestions with a bit of thought put into the splits. I think that in reality most people start off with one in mind but find their own level - and I’m sure everybody varies it to some degree. Also, there’s nothing that says the 30 days have to be consecutive. I’ll probably finish the course in a little over 30 day, but they’ll be spread over about 3 months. 10 days a month average (plus free practice) is still easy work.

6 Likes

Hello Josh. Name is Ed what up? New to the website and new to playing bass. 54 years old and I told myself I am going to learn how to play this sucka. I have a black belt in Shinto Yoshin Kai Jiujutsu (traditional Japanese prefer to break something rather than grapple on ground) I bought a beginner’s bass a couple of years and never took lessons. Just started with your beginner lessons on your youtube videos. By the way the video Learn your Fretboard notes is the best explanation I have seen regarding those notes out there on Youtube. I tried to review a couple other sites being that I have never played this instrument before and even when they say beginner they will start with “ok lets hit the G chord and the 5th root.” WTH! You are appreciated.

8 Likes

Welcome aboard, @howwouldyou . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Hey Ed @howwouldyou, welcome to the forum! That’s awesome you’re into martial arts, I really miss studying JKD, the one thing I miss about the last town I lived in is my amazing teacher (https://jkdsciences.com/).

Yeah, it’s tough to find real beginner lessons that don’t assume knowledge! Glad that fretboard video was helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, everyone. As my screen name suggests, I’m new to the bass playing world and I’m old–not dirt old, but old. In fact, at the grand old age of 60 I took up the bass and have been fumbling around on it for about a year now. I’m pretty sure I’m breaking every rule in the book (except for one), and the things I do in terms of technique are probably illegal in all 50 states (or at the least heavily frowned upon). I came here from YouTube (awesome videos) where I’ve learned everything I know. Which isn’t much. By the way, the only rule I’m not breaking is that I play the bass for one reason only: because I love it. I hope to get better and even though I still suck mightily, I actually think I have…and these videos and lessons from Josh make me love the bass even more.

8 Likes

@oldbassnewbie Welcome! I think you will find many of us are in your shoes: we have no idea what we are doing! Fortunately, this place is full of people that do know what they are doing and they are very willing to share their knowledge.

3 Likes

60 is old? Nah! I got you beat by ten years and I’m still a youngster!

Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s good to be amongst you!

2 Likes

Hah you’re not old. Like Pam says, she has ten years on you and I have pushing five years on you and both of us are pretty far from even approaching old.

Welcome aboard though anyway - you have made absolutely the right decision :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome @oldbassnewbie! Hope some practice with my lessons helps you stay out of bass jail. :police_car:

3 Likes

Howdy BB’ers
Signed up a few days ago after getting hooked on Josh’s utoob videos, particularly the 5 steps to finger exercises. Have really enjoyed it thus far. Every 5th birthday I try to dig in my bucket list and tackle something new, motorcycle at 60, scuba diving at 65, 70 tackled health issues and 75 picked up my first guitar. Quickly found out my shoulder didn’t like the wide body acoustic, then tried a slimmer body Strat and got bogged down with 6 strings so don’t give up let’s try a bass. Fooled around a year without much progress. I’m here now and loving the progress and fun. Started with a Fender P bass and wanted to try the Jazz bass because of the narrower neck. My only goal is the keep improving. The metronome and fast exercises are pretty unforgiving, lol. I’m located in the DFW area if there are others that might like to get together on occasion let me know. All the best to everyone!
Warm regards,
Dennis

9 Likes

@dpr5 Welcome and congratulations on getting started with the course.

2 Likes