Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

so far I’m getting pretty ahead! To be fair with the christmas holidays coming up I have a lot of time to spare so I might as well :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

@Lanny, I’m just goofy and enjoy being an odd ball. I just spend hours a day memorizing my fret board and I have custom made gloves that make it easier to play and feel the bass. I should be getting a new set of glove here soon and can definitely do a few videos. Come April I’ll have a new poss suit/costume that I will be playing in. Everything is hand made so it takes bit and then shipping to the bush just adds to the wait time. -.-

3 Likes

Damn dude, I’d say you’re pretty much as normal as I am!!

4 Likes

@gorgi fantastic! This class is way too fun, and @JoshFossgreen sure makes you want to return to class pfor another blast of endorphins!

3 Likes

@PamPurrs, it looks good on you.

2 Likes

@RoadieOpossum Welcome. I love the suit. I can’t wait to see some video of you wearing it and playing. Do you wear cooling gear under the suit or do you just seat it out?

@clar7804 Welcome. There are quite a few of us coming back to it after taking a multi decade hiatus. Good luck getting ready for the party.

@Ketricel Well done. Go here… Show Us Your Basses, and give us a picture of the bass you built.

2 Likes

@eric.kiser I spent a few years as a fire fighter so I’ve just been sweating it out but with future performances coming up in 2020 with a few bands. I am definitely investing in a cooling vest. Marched in full suit (different one) in Columbus Ohio Pride and woof I was dying at the end after that and honestly I’ve been eyeing cooling vest but now it’s time to finally get one.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @RoadieOpossum and @clar7804 and @Ketricel!

2 Likes

Lol! You’re an infant!!! Have fun!

Hey Josh,
Just getting started, so far so good.
Almost through Module 2 and having a great time.
I’m enjoying your teaching techniques.
Looking forward to becoming a proficient bassist, fingers crossed.
Rob P.

6 Likes

Hey guys and gals.

I’ve owned a bass guitar for over 10 years, but have only gotten serious about learning to play in the last 2 years. I bought my first guitar from a pawn shop. It is a Viper 154DX LTD. It looks bad ass but its heavy and I got tired of changing the battery so I upgraded recently to a Fender Jazz Bass. The sound is better IMO and its also more comfortable to hold and play. My current amp is a Fender Rumble 15 which will probably get upgraded once my playing advances.

I’ve been using Rocksmith for a while now and I’ve been plateauing and getting frustrated with not being able to get better or learn new techniques. Through Youtube I found Josh’s videos. He’s easy to understand, he doesn’t rush things and it seems like he really wants us to succeed in learning the bass. I just bought the lesson plans and am looking forward to nailing down this guitar.

My musical inspiration for bass comes from many different genres, if its got a good bass line, and my foot starts tapping, I want to learn it. Currently my two favorite bass players are possibly lesser known than the “greats”, but they are still fantastic musicians and you may possibly already know of them. They are Chris Wolstenholme of Muse and Billy Gould of Faith no More. If you’re not familiar with either of these bass players, I suggest you check them out. Their styles are very different but they both have the ability to play fantastic music that crosses genres and generations.

Currently my weaknesses are my inability to memorize songs (I can only play it on Rocksmith), I can’t read sheet music, I’m only mediocre with tab and as mentioned before I’ve plateaued on some intermediate skills. All of this I’m hoping Josh can get me through. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Josh is the man. I was looking to get into guitar, but his videos were so good, they made me take a hard look at bass. He inspires confidence, and with his help I think I’ll finally be able to get the music out of my head and into my hands!

I am sure if you stick to his lessons, you’ll be able to read music before too long!

6 Likes

a big welcome to all our new fellow bassbuzzians ! :grin:

5 Likes

Welcome! And excellent choices of favorite bassists!

Chris Wolstenholme is amazing but I wouldn’t call him lesser known - Muse was one of the biggest stadium rock bands of the 2000s. The Washington Capitals even used Hysteria as their stadium song.

Definitely one of my favorites. Origin of Symmetry and Absolution are fantastic albums. I actually play The Small Print as part of my regular practice as it’s just so fun and chuggy, and Hysteria is like my Moby Dick. I practice it all the time and after months can play the repeating riff once then it still all goes to garbage :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, @cdonily . . . can’t go wrong with a J-bass :wink:

You’ll enjoy Josh’s course and will get a lot out of it, too!

All best, Joe

4 Likes

@eprov2la I’m so excited for you! Please keep us posted on your thoughts and progress!

3 Likes

Bass is so superior to guitar!:laughing: Please keep us posted! I wish Josh had a guitar class for hub!

4 Likes

I think Guitar Josh and Bassbot make a pretty good team! :joy::rofl::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@kwt7667 so you spoke with Bassbot? I ignored him. How is he? Or maybe I should ask him that?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Rob @eprov2la! Glad you’re enjoying the course so far.

Welcome @cdonily! Yeah Rocksmith is a good game and learning adjunct, but not a good primary teaching tool IMO. Hope you get what you’re looking for from the course!

3 Likes