Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

No worries, we all love upright here! Just hasn’t been a focus yet. I took classical upright lessons for years, used to do community orchestra gigs and stuff before I found myself playing electric almost exclusively. Definitely do not miss carrying it around to bar gigs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh! Josh!

But we have the end pin wheel.

Makes life fun again.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well the sickness is confirmed! Was looking around on Reverb and ended up buying an Ibanez GSR200 with a Body Glove gig bag, strap & 18’ cord for $119 to the house! Now will get to compare two decent basses to see if I can tell any difference.

1 Like

Yeah, I really should have invested in one… sigh. Maybe I’ll catch the bug again someday.

Boz!
I’m the opposite of Josh - an all electric man who has found himself (voluntarily) trapped behind an upright playing 1s and 5s with a string band for the last 10 years. And - foolishly - I’ve never opted in for the end-pin wheel.
As a result, I have two thrashed and destroyed gig bags, and plenty of dings on the 'ol beast.
Glad you’re here to help! I’ll start a thread where I can ask you all the things about bows that I’ve needed to ask forever!!

3 Likes

Hey Matias!
I have lots of fun tracks to jam to.
I had a thread going, and I can post more if you’re into it. Check out the one I did, and let me know if you find it helpful?

If not - let me know what you’re looking for. I might have that too!

1 Like

Hi! I’m Herb, 55 year old grandpa. my family always made fun of me for not “hearing the beat”, probably a little tone deaf and I was not encouraged to ever play anything besides a tape deck, I never dreamt that I could play an instrument. An old musician said that I could learn the bass, he has a great band but doesn’t have a lot of time to teach. I found this site a week before I touched a bass, here was my first tuning, plunked my first note right along with Josh. I’m having a blast. thanks

10 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the course and community here as much as I have. You’ll be showing up your family before you know it!

4 Likes

Hey Herb! Glad you’re having fun, and I think your family will be eating their words before you know it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I’ve found your Bass Player https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hx5jp Go to 13min 20 sec. She does sound good.

Hi. At 65 I became interested in playing music rather than just listening. Maybe it’s because my hearing is going and I can’t hear it as well. Tried a few different things such as Harmonica, due to neck cancer that didn’t work out, making Kalimbas. So many people wanted 1 found I was making them not playing them. Decided to make a Bass, made 2, and give myself lessons for my 70th BD which is in August. That’s why I’m here. Most hearing loss is the higher pitches Bass is almost at normal levels. I don’t have speakers on my computer the sound goes directly to the hearing aids

11 Likes

Epic! Very clever and handy fellow. I love how there are no obstacles that can stop you. Pretty inspiring stuff. Welcome.
Also inspiring - the mustache. Holy cow. It’s phenomenal.

5 Likes

Yes, what Gio Said! Also, very impressed that you could make a bass! I’m 70 too. It’s nice to have company. Music is timeless! Oh, by the way, I have hearing aids as well and am having trouble linking my blue tooth to my computer. They work great on my iphone.

5 Likes

Hello my name is **** (im not telling you that) and I loooovvvee math, im learning bass because I want to be in jazz band at my school.

5 Likes

Hey @Cowscout123, that’s great! Feel free to post any jazz-related questions that come up, I don’t cover much of that in the Beginner to Badass course since jazz theory requires a lot of foundation.

Twenty-some years ago, I bought a nice used Steinberger XL-2 on a whim. Short story shorter, it’s been living in a closet ever since. A couple of months ago I hauled it out, googled up Josh, and have worked my way through half the modules so far. It certainly doesn’t come naturally to me, but it’s a great help to have a good teacher. Thanks!

8 Likes

Glad you got it out of the closet! Basses don’t do anyone any good in there. :slight_smile: The world needs to see your headstock-less badassery. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey Josh/Guys,

After owning a Warwick Tanglewood for a few years which just collected dust, my husband bought me an Ibanez for my 53rd birthday so here I am! Can anyone recommend a set of headphones for an Ashdown After Eight amp please? It has an output but I really don’t know if one size jack fits all and I really want to get started with my lessons.

Thanks in advance
Jane

5 Likes

I’m partial to Bose, but really, anything will work. Welcome aboard.

That amp looks like it has a ¼" headphone jack. That’s less common these days (most phones use 3.5 mm), but you can easily get an adapter if you need one. You’ll probably have more luck with over-ear headphones than earbud style; many won’t have the bass response you’ll need.

1 Like