Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Sometimes in life you just need to round up. :yum:

3 Likes

…insert answer here.

The phrase I like to use to describe somebody being a little less than fully comprehending the situation is “a pork pie short of a picnic”.

5 Likes

I understand you Scots have some very colorful expressions (whatever the occasion warrants) :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome @XTN ! There are a lot of great people here
Enjoy the ride!

Regards,
Jerry

4 Likes

Welcome @XTN

Man its soooooo nice to see Im not the only 40+ yr old dude just getting serious about playing the bass. I picked up my bass (oddly enough also a Ibanez GSRM-20 Mikro due to small hands and some limited mobility in my index finger due to old football injuries) at 48 :slight_smile: I will say playing has increased my mobility in my hands, and gets better every month.

So much so about 6 months ago I picked up a full scale Yamaha bass TRBX-504 and have really loved playing it.

6 Likes

Believe it or not - you’re far from alone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m definitely taking my time and not trying to do too much too fast. The problem is… I’m just enjoying everything so dang much! I’ve found myself using my down time to learn & practice instead of wandering aimlessly on social media or gluing myself to the TV. I have really fallen in love with playing the bass guitar.

That’s a great idea and didn’t think of it that way. This is something I am so looking forward to. I’m sure with my god son I could just chug or play some simple shapes and he’ll create some great riffs around me. With my 9yo boy, we’ve chosen some songs to play together (Stand By Me - B. King and a bunch of Star Wars Stuff) and are slowly working our way towards playing together. Good times!

5 Likes

Thanks for the welcome @faamecanic! I’m glad to hear that you have increased mobility in your hands. That’s a nice side effect to have from playing. I’m hoping that this will allow me to regain some mobility in my hands as well. Being older now, I listen to my body a lot better than I used to. I sort of treat playing bass just like I did sports. I warm up (hand & wrist exercises), I play, then I cool down with some hand stretching.

When I went to GC to pick up my first axe the sales rep recommended the Mikro. After reading around the interwebz about short scales I kept seeing stuff on the Gretsch Junior Jet. It was an itch I had to scratch. Tried it at the store and it just felt right. It’s hefty, a little bigger, and the sound is so different from the Mikro. I had to take it home. One day, if I can get my hands to stretch out a bit more or if I can get fast with my microshifts I’d like to move up to a long scale. There sure are a lot of purdy bass guitars out there.

3 Likes

Hello all,

I am Marcus, 33 years old and I live in the UK. I always knew the bass was a deadly weapon but it took until recent days before I picked one up. I started music in my mid 20s on the ukulele and guitar but never found a love for either. Once I picked up the bass a couple weeks ago, my life has changed. My influences are Pino Palladino, Bootsy Collins, and Rob Gueringer. My ultimate goal is to be a versatile gospel bassist. I hope to learn a lot from this B2B course and all the best to everyone else on the website. Au revoir!

9 Likes

Welcome @marcj42! This is a great group of folks here with lots of helpful advice.

3 Likes

Ooh. Mos Eisley Cantina Band. I like it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome to the Forums and to the course, @marcj42 . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Hi, I’m mark from the UK. I always wanted to learn an instrument. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at violin and drums at school, I didn’t pick up an instrument until my mid 30s, when my sister bought me a ukulele. I was hooked. I found learning and playing to be relaxing and stimulating (something I never got with the violin, I used to get stress headaches before each lesson). I took part in a few uke clubs and also tried my hand at cigar box guitars (playing and building)

Fast forward to now, with an ever growing ukulele collection (and a modicum of ability) I decided to round out my collection with a Ubass. I’m hooked again! Thoroughly enjoying the course and, one month in to my bass journey, already eyeing up a few full size ones!

9 Likes

Welcome @Steinbeck ! Dont be a stranger! Lots of good topics and folks in this forum!

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I’ve recently signed up for B2B. I’ve previously tried several online courses. All of them, I felt, left a great deal to be desired. I also tried a personal bass teacher, who turned out to be a guitar teacher who wasn’t qualified to teach bass. So far I’m impressed by B2B, and I’m enjoying my learning.

I’m a retired university lecturer ( “professor” in North America). I’ve learned enough bass to be part of a quarter that gigs two or three times a week in care homes, hospitals, and at charity fundraisers.

I’m having a great time, but I want to improve beyond roots and fifths, and I’m confident that with B2B I can do that.

7 Likes

Welcome @Jim and @Steinbeck . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with the course and see you around the Forums!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

I really should come on this thread more often ! anyway, welcome to all the newcomers :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome @Jim. Haha, yeah, most ‘bass tutors’ I’ve found locally have been guitarists, and not necessarily even teachers. B2B is excellent and even in the company of a few other very good teachers available online, @JoshFossgreen is outstanding (in my opinion).

5 Likes

Welcome Christian @XTN! You’ll definitely be able to jam with the kids by the end of the course. :slight_smile:

Welcome Marcus @marcj42! Nice influences, I still can’t get over how amazing Pino sounds on Voodoo (D’Angelo), no matter how many times I listen to it.

Welcome Mark @Steinbeck! There are a few other people with U-basses around here, I think…

And welcome @Jim! Glad you’re enjoying the course, and sorry you found one of those guitar players who thinks “I can teach bass, it’s got two less strings, how much can there be to it?” :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

I ran into one of them type teachers today at the cardiologist’s office today during an exam… We got to talking in the room that we all wait in between nuclear lexiscans and it was obvious that most guitar teachers view the bass as nothing more than a guitar with two less strings… Even though, it was still great speaking with someone who appreciates music…

3 Likes