Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @graham.a.ward

6 Likes

Welcome @graham.a.ward ! Really glad you are here with us! Best of luck on the recovery and in your bass journey. You’ve landed on a really great program, and a forum full of really terrific people.

Shredded shoulder isn’t Any kind of fun tickets, please take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress!

6 Likes

Greetings from West Melbourne Florida! I’m a 52 year old newbie with zero experience playing any instruments. Eugene from the band Jinjer inspired me to give the bass a try along with my wife learning guitar. Been pouring over BassBuzz videos and ultimately purchased a Yamaha TRBX304 today. Still need to come up with the rest of the gear and plan on doing the BB lessons. Any recommendations on cords and straps?

11 Likes

Welcome, @GrimJeeper. Glad you’re here. You’ve come to the right place for amazing lessons aimed at beginners. Follow Josh’s lead and you’ll be playing music very soon. Enjoy!

6 Likes

Great to have you here @GrimJeeper

5 Likes

Welcome @GrimJeeper !

For cables, I wouldn’t worry about it. Livewire cables are fairly inexpensive and do the job just fine.

For straps, that’s a whole different ball game. A good strap can make a huge difference. Look for one that’s padded and at least three inches wide. When searching for straps, search for Bass Straps and definitely stay away from the little two inch wide nylon guitar straps. Basses are just enough heavier than guitars that those little straps will kill your shoulder. Staps from Levy’s Leathers, Kliq Aircell, and Neotech are popular choices.

Check here for recommendations…
Show us your straps!

9 Likes

Welcome to the subterranean abyss @GrimJeeper

7 Likes

Welcome @GrimJeeper

I’m using real cheap cables with no issues.

Straps are a really personal thing. Again I’m using a wide but cheap strap I grabbed off eBay with no issues but I do play sat down

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @GrimJeeper. @eric.kiser gave you some good suggestions, I would start there. I bought most of my startup gear from Amazon, I tried to keep my startup costs down until I knew I was going to stick with it, and had an idea of what I liked. Now I use these:

Just kidding.

8 Likes

$7,621.85
LoL! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

It’s okay since the description says “heirloom quality instrument cable”.

7 Likes

That is a cable you want to take with you in the coffin, not leave with the kids…

8 Likes

Welcome @GrimJeeper

7 Likes

Howdy folks,

After not play the bass for almost 30 years I decided to pick one up and get back into it. I watch a lot of live music and I decided I should be making some again. I bought a Yamaha TRBX174 and I’m very happy with this to get back into playing.

I’m from the same town as the late Cliff Burton and we had the same teacher several years apart (me after his death). That teacher taught me a lot of fundamentals along with Metallica songs.

Even thought it has been years I seem to be flying through the early lessons and exercises. Any recommendations on at what pace I should be moving through the lessons?

Cheers,

Richie

11 Likes

Welcome, @pezcollector1974. You’re in a great place for a lapsed bass player. I was one, too. Have no doubt, the first several lessons of B2B are indeed fundamental. But they shift into new and exciting gears rapidly. Just hang with ‘em and have fun with the easy stuff. Eventually, you’ll be guided into some truly groovy stuff. And I’m not using the term ironically. You will groove. Just follow Josh’s lead and enjoy!

7 Likes

Welcome to BassBuzz @pezcollector1974 !

Everybody has their own pace. There are 1/3/6 month plans but you should do it fast enough to keep having fun and slow enough to absorb as much as you can.

7 Likes

Welcome @pezcollector1974

7 Likes

Welcome @pezcollector1974

6 Likes

Welcome @GrimJeeper ! Really glad you are here with us! As for being a little older and starting from zero? There’s a bunch of us here ( myself included ) that did exactly that. You’ve come to the best place possible to learn.
As for gear choices, everyone here is on point. And you done really well choosing a bass to start with.
Please enjoy the course and keep us posted on your progress!

8 Likes

Welcome @pezcollector1974 ! Really glad you are here with us! As for the right pace? One of the very best things about b2b is that YOU set your pace.
Please enjoy the course and keep us posted on your progress!

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @pezcollector1974, glad you are here. What they said :point_up_2::point_up_2:

8 Likes