Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hey Josh! I am enjoying and will keep u posted for sure. Going a bit slower this week as last week I went through module 1 in 2 hours.

I went over module 1 and doing the same with module 2. Keep it coming. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Hi all. Brand new to the forum. I’m 28 and live in upstate New York and have been a drummer for about 15 years. While I’ve never been in a band, its been a dream of mine. After having to part ways with my drum kit years ago, I slowly began really getting into bass guitar and the idea of having the freedom to move around stage. I’ve spent the last few years really paying attention to the bass in songs and such, and I wanted to learn. That’s when my curiosity about playing landed me on the BassBuzz website. So here I am, with no knowledge of the instrument, ready to dive in head first with no life vest.

My favorite band of all-time is Third Eye Blind, and their bassist Arion Salazar has been a huge inspiration to me and really dig his bass lines and style of play. I recently received a bass from a friend for my birthday and can’t wait to start Josh’s courses. My goal is to be able to play small gigs in my area with bands in the next year or so.

Happy to be here! Looking forward to the lessons, Josh!

Cheers

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and the course @Coia! What part of upstate are you in? One of my favorite restaurants when on tour is Haveli Indian Cuisine in Rochester. :slight_smile:

Have fun playing bass! I’m sure all your drum experience will get you off to a good start.

1 Like

I’m in Rochester, actually. Never been to that restaurant but have heard great things and its 10 mins from my house go figure, haha. Looking forward to the lessons. Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi all!

I decided I wanted to start learning an instrument about 5 years ago whilst starting in college… I initially opted for the drums, however, after a few years of barely being able to play due to the noise and not being able to afford lessons I had to give up. Last year I decided I would try to learn something that I could play more often and annoy less people - so I picked up a bass. I still can’t really afford proper lessons, hence I have found myself here! Hopefully this is something I can stick with!

3 Likes

Ha yeah, there are advantages to playing electric instruments. It sucks to not be able to play!

Hope you enjoy the course! Let me know if you have any questions along the way. :guitar::zap:

1 Like

After spending way too long thinking of reasons not to start playing an instrument, I finally picked up the bass a few months ago. I’ve always loved music and thought about how great it would be to make my own. To quote Frank Zappa, “music is THE BEST.”

I’ve always been most drawn to the electric bass. Also I want to make the low sounds. The lower the better.

5 Likes

Thank you Josh, really love the lessons so far!

1 Like

Yay, bass wins. :slight_smile: Playing is way more fun than thinking about why you can’t play!

Hi there fellow Badass Bassers. My name is Joe. New to the bass but do have a little background in music. I played trumpet in school so I do know how to read music; a big plus for any musical endeavor. Dabbled in drums a little. Now I find myself trying to learn this beast called the bass. My prior diversion was martial arts. I had been studying Eagle Claw Kung Fu but a torn rotator cuff and subsequent surgery has brought that to an end. At 59 the heart was willing but the body did protest too much. So now on to the bass. Hopefully, it won’t leave as many scars. That is, unless I get really good, join a band, go on tour, and have to fend off the groupies! Sometime I feel learning the bass is a race against time for me. The arthritis in the hands is starting to set in and those fingers just aren’t being too cooperative; they seem have a mind of their own. But I’m here, enjoying everything minute of it, and needless to say, have a fantastic teacher. I grew up in the 70’s, an incredible era for music. I was always fixated on the drums but the lower register kept calling. Favorite bassist? Hmmm. Don’t consider myself qualified to name a favorite since I’m new to the bass myself. However, when I listen to Elton John and the parts Dee Murray came up with, it just sends sensations down my spine. But those parts are, obviously, far, far beyond my reach. So, that’s my story. I’m here for the long haul and am eager to learn and will certainly put in the time. I’m sure Josh will lead me to the promised land.

3 Likes

Hello, everyone! My name is Joe also. I used to play bass years ago in a garage band but was never very good at it. Thought I’d try to gain a more thorough grounding with some lessons and structure this time around. My guitar and practice amp should be arriving in a few days! :grinning:

4 Likes

Welcome Joe! Sorry to hear about your injury, I’m currently on pause with martial arts working on a knee thing myself. I miss it! (mostly JKD) Hope you dig the course!

Welcome Joe #2 @Jazzbass19! Congrats on your new gear, what did you get?

That’s great Joe and welcome. You’ve come home and you’ll enjoy the lessons, course that Josh has laid out. Chug on…

1 Like

Hey, Josh! :slight_smile: It’s just an entry level Squier Jazz Bass, but it kind of jumped out at me from the web! White maple neck with black square inserts and Olympic White maple body. Also ordered a Fender Rumble 25 practice amp (25w with 1 x 8" speaker), strap, cord, and stand.
Should be here this week. Hence my user name “Jazzbass 19” :smiley:

I’m interested in signing up for your lessons, too! Give me a few days to experiment with my gear, and look forward to learning from you.

1 Like

Thanks, bertmayo! :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to the lessons. There’s SO much stuff out there all over YouTube, etc. and it’s overwhelming. But I think I’m in the right place here. :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome @wozman! Sounds almost exactly like my story - grew up playing sax, then taught myself the drums. Practiced taekwondo for many years, but it is too tough on the body now. And, yes, I am kinda hoping playing the bass will also fend off finger pains that come knocking at the door more and more frequently as I grow older. Apart from being a lot of fun…
Fantastic music in the 70s, for sure :grin:
Enjoy the course!

3 Likes

Your in the right place Joe. :slightly_smiling_face:Took me some searching too and I landed here. We’re in good company too.:+1:t4:

2 Likes

I like those basses! I’ve still got the Vintage Modified J Bass kicking around from our Beginner Bass reviews, I like it a lot.

1 Like

Hello Everyone

Tony for Australia. At 55 thought I would finally get serious about learning an instrument.

My daughter is a professional singer and father is in his 80’s and still playing in a band. Both has been nagging at me for a while to do something so now is the time.

Bass has been something that I always wanted to learn so I did a bit of research and have found myself here. I have purchased an Ibanez Sr300eb and an small 25 watt Amp.

Already through to Module 4 and loving the course.

Look forward to being part of the community

Rgds

Tony

5 Likes

@tonym Welcome aboard :slight_smile: I’m new here myself and this is a great place to be.
Good luck in the course!

All best, Joe