Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome the forum @tonym! That’s so cool that your daughter and father are both musicians. Nags from both directions. :slight_smile: Glad you’re enjoying the course.

Hello all My name is Tony, I’m here to see if this whole bass playing thing is for me. I have been interested since Tommy The Cat back in Daytona Beach ‘92’ and haven’t really persued this interest until now. But here I am got myself an Ibanez SR300EL and ready to get into this. I will be picking up an amp soon but am just plucking strings with no amp so I don’t drive my wife insane…but I will. Anyway…Hi

5 Likes

Hail Tony.
The bass fill on the record that brings the full groove in on Tommy The Cat is one of my all-time favorite bass moments.
Hope the bass and you get a long.
Nice to meet you, welcome, get a really loud amp, and happy playing.

3 Likes

Hey Tony! I’m a huge Tommy the Cat fan too, I think that’s my fav Primus bass line of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8

Those Ibanez SR basses are nice! And you can always get a headphone amp if you don’t want your wife to lose sleep or sanity. :slight_smile:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugBassG2--vox-amplug-2-bass-headphone-guitar-amp

3 Likes

Just saw Les Claypool and Sean Lennon in Philly a few weeks ago - had a chance to see them up close and personal during a meet and greet prior to the concert- Les is an amazing bassist and entertaining individual

7 Likes

I’m Chuck. 56 Years old and have been fooling with bass, and guitar for about 4 or 5 years and getting nowhere. Back and forth with YouTube and other free stuff. I’m a gearhead and got started with one vintage tube amp and figured that I’d need a guitar to test it. The ball started rolling. The next thing I know, I’ve got a dozen guitars and basses and more than that in amps.

Last year I decided to get rid of the clutter and really get serious about playing. I gave away what I could to 2 of my kids who enjoy playing music and sold almost everything. I kept only my faves. that still didn’t really help me play. I found Josh’s youtube vids pretty cool but decided that I needed a gradual but progressive lesson plan to get me on track. I kept looking at Beginner to Badass and finally decided to get serious about playing.

I’m now in module 3 and finally believe that, I’m really going to be able to play. I’ve not missed a day since I started, last Saturday.

I’m also quite surprised so see how many of us are learning an instrument later in life.

Oh yea, I wanted to add that Josh being a bit of a goofball really helps me like him which makes it even easier to stick with the program.

8 Likes

@kf5gtc Welcome aboard, Chuck :slight_smile:

I’ve found Josh’s lessons very helpful, and I’m really glad to be here!

All best, Joe

1 Like

Welcome! You definitely will enjoy the course. The problem is: you won’t be able to stop! LOL

2 Likes

That’s awesome @johnny_mirrex!

Welcome to the forum Chuck! @kf5gtc Glad the Beginner to Badass curriculum is helping you start moving forward with your playing!

And yes, the goofballiness cannot be contained. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good day, all!
I wanted to post for the first time in this thread to introduce myself to Josh and the rest of the folks here! My name is Kevin, and I live in Ann Arbor, MI. I am 56, and just beginning the course (actually starting Module 2 today). I am a graphic designer and have always been good at drawing, photography and the like, but my one REAL wish, has always been to be able to play a musical instrument. I have a couple guitars that I have purchased over the years in hope of learning those, but the intimidation factor of them always kept me from ever committing much time to them to learn.
So, for the past few years, I’ve become friends with a couple of guys who are pretty decent on guitar, and they have been teasing me to learn the bass - “C’mon Kev”, they say, “You gotta learn the bass and play with us!”. So I began to poke around the interwebz, and happened upon the BassBuzz site (primarily in reading reviews of basses as I was looking for one). I saw Josh in those and then watched his intro lesson, and was really taken with his relaxed and casual attitude; I read through the explanation of this course and thought it was extremely positive and encouraging in the fact that ANYone could learn the bass - I was hooked!
Well, I purchased a gorgeous Yamaha TRBX304 in candy apple red (I’ll post a pic or two in the Show us your Bass thread) and a Fender Rumble 40 studio amp and thus far, I am really enjoying the lessons! Even though Josh says practicing isn’t needed, I do try and redo the things each of these lessons focus on to ingrain it into my head (and hands!) I can’t wait to see how I progress - if Josh can teach an older dog like myself how to play and help to cross off a major “bucket list” item in my life, he’ll have another spokesperson whenever he needs me! :slight_smile:
I look forward to chatting with many of you on this forum and learning even more about this wonderful adventure. As many others have said, I am really surprised by the amount of folks my age (give or take) that are learning this for the first time - it really gives me hope that I can do so too!

Cheers,
Kevin

5 Likes

Welcome, Kevin! It is truly amazing how many in here share the same age (give or take a few years)!

Cool that you have a Rumble 40 Studio! Now we can soon start some threads here such as “What’s your favorite Rumble 40 Studio preset” or “Share your own Rumble Studio settings” :grin:

-J.P.

1 Like

Indeed, J.P.!
I just got it last week, and as I’m working on these lessons, I try to find some down time to play with the CRAZY amount of loaded preset amp settings on it! It was a bit pricier than a more stripped down amp in terms of electronics, but I figured if I actually DID begin to learn the bass, those different settings would really be fun to play around with; I absolutely love all the different modeling and effects something like it can make the bass sound like!

-Kev

Aloha Everyone!
My name is Jerry and I’m 63 years old. I tried to teach myself bass guitar about twenty years ago and got as far as being able to play along with some Beatles and Eagles songs. Work has kept me away from my bass, but I want to try and re-learn and get better. I will be purchasing the online Beginner course soon. After viewing Josh’s sample videos, I feel I will really learn more than what I already knew.
Everyone have a great day!
Mahalo

4 Likes

It is really pretty mind-boggling, Kev! To be honest with you, I have two presets that I like the best and I use mostly those so far, and only occasionally venture out to explore some of the other presets - I mean… no rush, right :smile:

Yeah J.P. - tons of time for sure!
Not being a musician of any sort, I find SO many of the older vintage amp models they list can sound (again, to me) very, very similar - though maybe as I get more playing time, I will begin to pick out the subtleties of them.
I DO like that if one wants to play something in the, say 80s or 90s rock style (kind of like when Josh has us play the intro line to Van Halen’s Running with the Devil, you can dial a similar sound into it and make it that much more “realistic”. Of course, one can probably do that with most bass amps if they know how to do so, but being the ultimate newb, it makes it a lot easier to just spin a knob for the time being! :smiley:

-Kev

1 Like

@kevwheez Welcome aboard, Kevin :slight_smile:

Yep, Josh does indeed have a very patient and relaxed teaching style, and he really can teach us older dogs new tricks! :wink:

Good luck and all best, Joe

1 Like

@JerryP Hey, Jerry. . . Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

You’ll really enjoy the course . . . I’m about halfway finished and have learned a lot.

Good luck and see you around, Joe

Yay! Excellent choice on bass with the TRBX304, mine’s red too, absolutely love the color. Congrats and welcome!

1 Like

Thanks, Joe & Howard! I hope to chat much more with both of you along with everyone as I continue along.

And Howard; as much as I love this Yamaha (due in part to BassBuzz and Josh and Gio’s Review), an additional bonus was the fact that I purchased it “used” from a major Guitar store online for only $250! I was initially nervous as to what the condition would be when it arrived, but I can’t tell that anyone had even PLAYED it before - it literally looked fresh out of the box! A very lucky score!

-Kev

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a great deal!