Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi Jack!
What kind of music do you intend to make? How many keys does your MIDI controller have? If it is a small one, it will be easy and you will get better very soon. However, if it is a bigger one and you intend to play using two hands simultaneously, you will need some hand independence syncopation practice. For that I strongly recommend this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SMZwAQHBuI
Regarding music theory for keyboard, I recommend the following (in particular order):

• learn sheet notes (you will need both treble and bass cleffs), which is not difficult at all, and learn them while checking where the each note is located on your keyboard
  • learn basic major chords (triads),
  • now learn basic (natural) minor chords as you only need to flat third note for one half-step, everything else is same :slight_smile:
  • learn and play C major scale (which is easy as notes are all white keys in an octave) and learn proper fingering. Bravo, now you also know A minor scale, the only difference is you would need to start from A :slight_smile:
    After you get the hang of this and assuming you want to use two hands on your keyboard, learn the same for your other hand as well. Then it is time to practice hand independence from the link I mentioned before.

It really is not difficult, but it takes time and don’t rush it.
Regarding bass, I am newbie which came here few days ago so I will not tell you anything about bass :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

One other benefit is it is MUCH, MUCH easier to learn music theory with a keyboard than it is with a stringed instrument :slight_smile:

All the modes just make sense.

The downside is that learning the different scales is much easier on stringed instruments because they are all the same shape.

7 Likes

Unless the stringed instrument is a guitar. :wink:

6 Likes

I’m talking sanely tuned stringed instruments here :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi :slight_smile: I have a 49 key MIDI. It’s an Arturia MKII, and it is just beautiful. It came with the full version of the Analog Lab, which has many legendary synths, organs and pianos. I always wanted to play around with the CMI and the Prophet 5.

I intend to play just like John Taylor from Duran Duran. That’s the reason I picked up bass. He has that Bernard Edwards sound which is really punchy and melodic. However, some of the songs are incredibly difficult, such as Rio (Anybody try that bridge with all the muted notes??). I am sure I will never, ever reach his level, but it is fun to try.

6 Likes

How nice! That must have been really fun to take that road trip. It’s been 35 years since I took any significant road trip. My folks drove cross country to go to Jersey for my old man’s job. I did not like it there, because I was homesick. Even though the places we lived were much better! We lived near the boardwalk in Point Pleasant. I wanted to go back to our shitpile cabin in the middle of the desert.

Again, thanks all for the nice welcome.

5 Likes

ROFLPMP! :rofl:
E-A-D-G-C-F… damn, it’s actually a thing:

Turns out that Allan Holdsworth wasn’t too fond of that B-string either.

4 Likes

You don’t like to set yourself easily attainable goals, do you? :wink:

4 Likes

I guess I will satisfy with Joe Dart then :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi from Scotland!

My ear has always sought out the bass in music since I used to sneak out to my aunties car and listen to Atomic by Blondie on her cassette for so long the car battery would go flat.

Always wanted to play but time/money never allowed. Now semi retired and fairly arthritic I bought a bass a few years ago but have not kept up any meaningful practice, mainly just learning a few basic favourites by rote until my wrists get too achey, then leaving it for weeks on end.

With the whole covid, I’ve been on it a lot more and watched a few of Josh’s free lessons. Hope to order and begin B2B next week. Can’t wait as I really enjoy Josh’s delivery, enthusiasm and patience.

I have an Ibanez SR300 and an Orange Crush 50BXT, I also recently picked up a perfect condition used Squier PJ for peanuts which sounds amazing.

Hope to meet loads of like minded folks on here.

Cheers :slight_smile:

12 Likes

That’s the six highest strings on a 7-string bass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Bandit!

3 Likes

Welcome @Bandit

3 Likes

Thanks Jerry

5 Likes

Thanks Pam

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Bandit,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks Brian, not sure I’m replying to these correctly as it seems to make a new box for each one, sorry folks for flooding the thread, I’ll get there soon!

5 Likes

It’s all good @Bandit,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hi there @Bandit,
If you are looking at buying the course b2b in the next couple of weeks, I would highly recommend it as Josh’s tuition style keeps you motivated to strive to get through it.
I’m sure all other forum members will reintegrate my thoughts.
Hope you love it as much as I do.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Should be re integrate.
Sorry for the incorrect spelling :blush:

2 Likes