Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I didn’t knew this disc, very far away from my musical universe. I’m listening to it right now and … WOW :astonished: the bass lines, tone (deeeeeep) and playing are stunning.

4 Likes

Welcome @introvertimages! You’ll love it here! You’ve certainly chosen the right teacher if you want to learn bass! @JoshFossgreen is one who will always respond and help get you through any of those ‘buzzy spots’ you may encounter throughs the course.

No one needs any more stress in their lives (which is why I LOVE making/playing music!). The people on this forum are the best I’ve ever communicated with on any online music forum.

4 Likes

Yes @terb I think the VooDoo album really takes off at the 4th track, “The Line”. Pino Palladino also played bass on D’Angelo’s “Black Messiah” album from a few years ago. I think you will enjoy track #10, “Betray My Heart”.

Who is on your playlist for bass inspiration?

2 Likes

Thanks @Lanny for the encouragement. Like you, I am trying to break bad habits and simply enjoy the learning process. Before I got back into the bass, I had to change my approach by not taking myself too seriously with this. Its not like I have a gig to do tonight, right? There will be ‘buzzy spots’ as you say but we all have to work through them. I appreciate your response!

4 Likes

Hey @JoshFossgreen ! Thanks for your reply and warm welcome. I’ve read quite a few stories others have posted throughout the forum. I hope you know how many people you are helping far beyond just bass playing. You are touching and enriching the lives of people that have and/or are facing personal challenges. Music heals and you are playing a major role in providing that therapy !

Cheers

5 Likes

Howdy all :slight_smile:

I just started BtB lessons LAST NIGHT and have thoroughly enjoyed “bonding” with my bass. Thanks for throwing in nerdy jokes, Josh. I can already tell you are an excellent teacher!

Speaking of bonding, I teach organic chemistry during the academic year to students who are underrepresented in STEM fields. My music experience includes just 2 years of violin in middle school (before the school slashed all art/music courses), but that was decades ago. I grow a massive garden each summer which lets me experiment with new recipes (tomato ketchup with banana melon? delicious!) and fermentation techniques. I love learning and even though my hands are small and my fingers unusually SHORT (no, I could not reach ringfinger to third fret with index on first… ha! not even close… but a quick hand shift worked), I know learning bass with Josh will be fun! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums and to Josh’s course, @alchemyst21 . . . :slight_smile:

You’ll enjoy both, I’m sure!

All best, Joe

4 Likes

What an interesting guy/gal to have in the forums. Kicking off with a nerdy chemistry joke and following up with some great attitude to teaching (and learning).

I have to ask; what’s “banana melon”?

Oh, and glad you’re learning bass, blah blah blah.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Hi there. Greetings from Denmark. I’m enjoying reading the forum and absolutely loving the B2B lessons :smiley:

8 Likes

Thank you kindly, @PeteP! Banana melon is an heirloom seed from the 1800s. The fruits are fairly large (5 lbs or so) and shaped somewhat like a banana. The flesh is cantaloupe-like with a hint of spice. I had several last year (the vines are prolific!) and one was going soft so I threw it in a batch of tomato ketchup that I was cooking up.
Tasty! My inspiration was something I read online - during WWII, there was a shortage of tomatoes in the Philippines so they made ketchup out of bananas. (!!!) As long as the spices are there, you can make ketchup out of most anything (there’s even pumpkin ketchup, although I have yet to try that).

5 Likes

Nice to see a fellow Dane on the forum - velkommen til!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Don_D . . . :slight_smile:

You have a nice-looking Yamaha, too!

Good luck in the course, and all best, Joe

2 Likes

thanks Joe! I’ve already discovered that going thru the paces with a metronome reveals MUCH when I think I totally rocked the video lesson. :wink:

2 Likes

Mange tak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome @alchemyst21 and @Don_D! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Howdy everyone - I just started the program, rocking a TRBX304 and Fender Rumble 15. I mess around with a Washburn HB-35S too. My brother introduced me to NIN’s Broken when I was 7 and it changed everything. I still remember putting on the headphones of our portable CD player and thinking I had never heard anything like this before. Lots of Joy Division, Bowie, Tool, Pink Floyd, and Brubeck (go figure) from there. In college, the Strokes, White Stripes, and Interpol were on repeat.
In just a few sessions, playing bass has opened my mind to better understanding song structures, note choices, and rhythm. Playing is also a great way to unwind after work and family responsibilities wrap up for the day.
I appreciate the time @JoshFossgreen and team put into creating this community and look forward to interacting with everyone. Let’s connect

11 Likes

Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @NickSki . . . :slight_smile:

Sounds as if you’re off to a good start with your gear, too!

3 Likes

Welcome @NickSki

1 Like