Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to the community @BassDarling!

5 Likes

Welcome @Molly

5 Likes

Welcome @BassDarling

6 Likes

I have some experience with playing music but at the time I was a lot younger (probably 10 years old). I practiced acoustic guitar and Bb clarinet for awhile then stopped playing instruments for almost a decade.

Not too long ago I picked up the bass (I’m actually using my dad’s for now) and I’ve been casually practicing every now and then. I’m actually a college student so I have a little trouble managing my time. I have mainly been studying theory as a result which hasn’t been too bad since I’ve had some exposure.

Lucky for me I have a 6 week break starting this week and I’m looking forward to practicing hard!

7 Likes

New subscriber and learner. Orginaly from the USA but now live in the UK. I played music at a high level (trombone) for many many years so I can at least read bass clef. :slight_smile:

Life got in the way of me playimg music but now in my late 50’s I have time again. I tried to teach myself base in my teens when I was playing Trombone but did not make much progress. I know see why as I went abut it all wrong.

I saw some of Josh’s videos and really liked his vibe and approach. I feel I am making good progress and more importantly I am having fun.

I need to remember how long it took me to get to a good level in trombone and be patient! Peace and be safe!

9 Likes

Welcome @dave.zack. Having been a 'bone player and knowing how to read a bass clef music sheet gives you a nice head start.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Lan13-17 & @dave.zack!

5 Likes

Welcome @Molly, glad you’ve been enjoying the course! I’ve got some Pixies coming to a YT video in a little bit. :slight_smile:

Welcome Belle @BassDarling! You’re actually pretty young compared to some of the folks here. Never too late to bass!

Welcome @Lan13-17, enjoy your break!

Welcome @dave.zack! Trombone+bass is a cool doubling, you can still read out of all the same books. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome @BassDarling @Lan13-17 and @dave.zack

6 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is Dan. I’m a husband, father, engineer in the space/defense sector, and I am super excited about learning to play bass!

I’ve been wanting to learn for a while now, but have been intimidated at the prospect of everything that goes into it, which made me keep putting it off. Recently I came across Josh’s BassBuzz videos on YouTube and was instantly hooked. I love the way he presents the information and am really looking forward to starting the Beginner to Badass journey!

I don’t have a lot of musical background (played baritone in middle school but have pretty much forgot everything I once knew), but my fingers are crossed that I can emulate the success of Dan the Human Guinea Pig and enjoy playing the bass in no time.

11 Likes

Welcome @Dan_Y

5 Likes

Hi Dan, welcome! I am upstate as well, Finger Lakes area. Have fun!

5 Likes

Hi all, another learner here! I’m based in the UK and decided to take the plunge and learn how to play bass. I’ve just got a new Yamaha TRBX504 in translucent brown and using an Ampeg BA108 v2 amp. Motored my way through module 1 and looking forward to the challenges the next module brings!

9 Likes

Welcome to the community @Dan_Y and @paul.makin!

5 Likes

We expect pics of your purchases* very soon.

• You know… your first bass and amp… then your second bass… and your practice space… and your pedals… and any additional basses.

:-))

6 Likes

New guy here. It is becoming winter in Maine soon. I don’t have a lot of music background in my past, but I am trying to learn how to play a little. I guess I am sort of a fan of bass lines from the Flying Burrito Brothers (Chris Hillman), and generally most walking bass lines. I think I am now on lesson 35 of 109 in the Beginner to Badass series. I am playing on a late 1986 or so Japanese p-bass (a Westone Spectrum Deluxe) and I have a little Peavey 208 max as my practice amp. I try to play about an hour a day and it is fun for me. The big challenge is trying to convince my fingers on both hands to actually work together as a team. I am enjoying playing around with it though.

9 Likes

Welcome to the community @rmcmullin!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Dan_Y and @paul.makin and @rmcmullin!

7 Likes

Welcome @Dan_Y , @paul.makin and @rmcmullin

6 Likes

Welcome @paul.makin

6 Likes